Author Topic: Paxton & Automatic experience question  (Read 1238 times)

TJinSA

• View Profile
Paxton & Automatic experience question
« on: August 09, 2019, 01:14:01 AM »
I have loved my C7FE le mans cam with standard transmission, bu I doubt the levels of vacuum would work well with a C4 hipo automatic.  I was pleased with the hydraulic hipo cam profile with my cruiser automatics, bu missed the seriousness of the Le Mans.  What has been the group's experience running something more radical than a hipo cam with an automatic?... brand... approx spec, please.
Tom Kubler
6S296

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Paxton & Automatic experience question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:18:45 AM »
   When I bought 6S477 in '74 it had the C7FE cam in it. The important part is that it also had a higher stall torque converter. The vacuum ( or lack of it) was not an issue with the "automatic" valve body. I now have a full manual( not recommended for street use) valve body and .700 lift solid roller cam. The C7FE cam will NOT idle in gear with a stock C4 converter.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

1967 eight barrel

Re: Paxton & Automatic experience question
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 01:28:25 AM »
As Randy will tell you it makes absolutely NO sense to run outdated old cam profiles in engines anymore. You should look for a custom grind.
Randy and I both know a guy that does some great ones and is based on specifications of the engine, not a book with numbers.
Steve Long Racing Cams in Corona, CA. cut the cam for my FE's in my Shelby. I never lost the vacuum to a point the power brakes won't function.
The profile makes a ton of power and you don't lose all the bottom end. However, it doesn't come on so low all you do burn the tires off.
I'll be glad to pass along his information if you're interested.
                                                                                                     -Keith