Author Topic: What heads for a 427 in a GT500 clone?  (Read 4105 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: What heads for a 427 in a GT500 clone?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 11:24:44 PM »
Are the Jay Brown heads being produced? Calling those 427 heads is like calling a Thor head a 429SCJ head.

http://www.feclubofamerica.com/2017/12/jay-brown-fe-power-llc-interview.html

The Blue Thunder head is at least something closely resembling the original, and is the best performer (of the non-brown heads) and without a doubt the highest quality casting and machining.
You didn't do your homework. There are TWO versions. One used the OE style exhaust port one uses a port similar to the 429.

As for Tunnel port heads. They aren't able to support 900+ HP and they suck on street driven vehicles.  They are by far lacking and ONLY fit a 427 bore.
On my new heads I was able to get 2.19 1.75 exhaust valves to fit with NO clearance issues on a 4.155 bore. It doesn't even require notching, even though I did do the 427 mod on the block to unshroud the valve.
Some of you need to come out of the 60's. There are much better choices when it comes to induction, heads, rods, pistons and cam shafts.

-Keith

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 12:32:31 AM »

You didn't do your homework. There are TWO versions. One used the OE style exhaust port one uses a port similar to the 429.

-Keith

Do you have a link?

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 01:22:16 AM »
I'll get it from Jay Brown.  The initial offering is full out race. I know Art Francis of Blue Thunder personally from the Law Enforcement community in California. Great products despite very limited availability. Great product but there are some clearance issues because of the raised ports and shock towers.
Trick Flow has an issue with factory rocker geometry and requires milling, T&D rollers and custom pushrods and complete assembly.

I bought a set of Keith Black Ported Edelbrock heads this time to go with the new block.

-Keith

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 02:20:50 AM »
67BoB,
You may want to take a look at BBM.
http://bearblockmotors.com/

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 03:13:02 AM »
BBM makes a nice head too.  However, they are MR port configuration and with some manifolds they will have quite a port mismatch.

What I can tell you with photographic evidence from my experience is that the Edelbrocks exactly match my Edelbrocks on my C7ZX without any port match work. I bought a bore camera and will be glad to share show pictures. BBM heads are in the 2500.00 range as well.

-Keith

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 11:40:54 AM »
     Unfortunately, the BBM cylinder head casting appears to be another "off-shore" product?       >:(

Please, if American,......... buy AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS!       :)

Scott.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 02:01:32 PM »
BBM isn't Chinese Junk. The company is a US company. The foundry it is cast at is Hyundai.  His blocks are the best on the market. Stay away from Pro comp crap.
You can thank lefty unions who cut their own throat and the US based foundries he inquired with wanted a much larger order than feasible.
BBMs 427 blocks are better made than any US made product currently offered and BBM is straight up. Yes, I prefer to purchase U.S. made products as well, but be careful about assumptions.  If you've ever been embroiled with Genesis or Pond you'd understand that statement.

-Keith