Author Topic: Battery and exhaust pipe questions for 69 GT350 Auto, AC, ps,pb, built 1-8-69  (Read 2171 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
Question about what battery people have had good luck with, I’ve got the cover to go on top with the red caps but I’m looking for opinions. Also, does the H pipe insert into the exhaust pipe or vice versa? The exhaust I got from Branda four years ago and finally am putting on has the same size pipe so I’m going to have use an expander, they say the H Pipe goes into the exhaust pipe but it’s hard to tell from the assembly guide and I want to make sure.
Thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Question about what battery people have had good luck with, I’ve got the cover to go on top with the red caps but I’m looking for opinions. Also, does the H pipe insert into the exhaust pipe or vice versa? The exhaust I got from Branda four years ago and finally am putting on has the same size pipe so I’m going to have use an expander, they say the H Pipe goes into the exhaust pipe but it’s hard to tell from the assembly guide and I want to make sure.
Thanks
It is hard to say how the after market exhaust is supposed to go given that the Branda exhaust is far from original. Logically If you have a choice make it so that the H pipe goes inside the intermediate pipe so that you don't have a bad exhaust leak at the union. It is the same principle that you run flue pipe connections on your furnace.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
I've been using a AGM reproduction autolite battery for 7 years, and it is still working great.  They aren't cheap at $350, but work great if you keep a trickle charger on them in winter.  Virginia mustang provided mine.

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
Virginia Mustang will have batteries in stock in September. Precision Exhaust is best for price, fit and original spec.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

SChatman

• View Profile
Thanks guys, I should have been asking these questions 4 years ago when I bought the exhaust but I wasn’t in SAAC at the time. I should have been.   

Scott Fuller

• View Profile
Bob is correct.  The intermediate pipes should go over the H-pipe outlet.  Your H-pipe should be 2-1/4 inches reduced to 2-1/8 inches where it goes into the resonator intermediate pipes.  The forward resonator pipes (intermediate) should be 2-1/4 inch slightly expanded to go over the 2-1/8 H-pipe outlet.  Original Ford H-pipe and resonator pipes had alignment tabs and slots.  The pipes that go into the muffler are 2-inch.  And the pipes that go out of the muffler are two inch.  And the tailpipes need an adapter to go to 2-1/4 inch where it goes into the collector.

Scott

Scott Fuller

• View Profile
More photos

Scott Fuller

• View Profile
Last

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Scott's exhaust systems fit like a glove with no adjustments.  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Scott Fuller

• View Profile
This is how the original slot/alignment tab would have been in the H-pipe/resonator pipes.  There should also be factory flats of the H-pipe just ahead of the outlets.  You can see them in this photo.

Scott