Author Topic: Lock Knob grommets - Clear vs. Chrome  (Read 1266 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Lock Knob grommets - Clear vs. Chrome
« on: October 09, 2019, 02:49:57 PM »
Hi all,

Does any one know why the two versions?  Is the clear just for standard interiors (thus GT350) and the chrome for deluxe (Pony) interior?  The chrome is nicer looking, I wonder why not all the cars got the chrome grommet.  I assume a small cost savings.

I am then assuming chrome is not assembly line OEM for 66 GT350's.

Thanks

Cory

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Lock Knob grommets - Clear vs. Chrome
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »
Clear is correct for standard and deluxe/pony interiors

Lots of owners over the years have used the others to "up grade" the look of their cars

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:26:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Then I am still confused.  What was the application of the chrome grommet?  Different model?

Thanks

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Then I am still confused.  What was the application of the chrome grommet?  Different model?

Thanks

Cory
Different years too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 05:07:44 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Most often owners/builder will use the 69-up metal (believe that may have been stainless) with the fabric insulator around the hole to reduce any little ticking if the rod and knob vibrates.  These were standard on deluxe (Grande, Mach, Deluxe ...)  interiors as shown below

https://www.npdlink.com/product/grommet-door-lock-knob-stainless/103856?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Ddoor%252Block%252Bgrommet%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D

Or there is a "reproduction" of the opaque version now available in plastic chrome

https://www.npdlink.com/product/grommet-door-lock-knob-chrome-non-original-option-to/103854?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Ddoor%252Block%252Bgrommet%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D

They are a little more difficult to install compared to the snap fit of the plastic original version.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 05:23:06 PM »
Another reason why so many are switched is that the plastic grommets can break extremely easily . Especially the repro ones . The chrome grommets being made of steel along with the mounting tabs will not break .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby