Author Topic: New engine rebuild smoking and oil fouling plugs  (Read 11858 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: New engine rebuild smoking and oil fouling plugs
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2019, 04:29:57 PM »

+1  Everything so far is "armchair speculation" though well meant , "reality" is often far different than the guesses given. As I said before , Jim Grubbs Motorsports is a top notch operation. They will find the cause , no doubt about about that.

+2 Call Grubbs and get to the bottom of the issue(s)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »
If the engine builder is reputable, I would ship the engine back complete to have them resolve it.

I think if you start tearing it down, you own it.

I know of several shops where the warranty ends at the shop door on a high performance engine.
Yep,  reply #1 of this 4 page thread.

I have to stop plagiarizing!   ;)
I hope you know I didn't think that . I should have put a +1 to show my post was done in agreement.

Well, I should have acknowledged you said exactly the same thing earlier, but the wink emoji was to signal I knew you were just confirming.

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2019, 11:30:36 PM »
Perhaps I’m a little out of touch because I tend to do most of my own work when possible but doesn’t $10,500 sound steep for rebuilding a HIPO 289?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:49:25 PM by Karguy »
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

cob4ra

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2019, 02:08:01 AM »
About 9 days ago Bill sent them a detailed letter with Fords scoped findings!! I was told that the dad retired from the engine builders; so far from them “ crickets “ ! I disagree with the lack  of concern ! I’m thinking on my own part ( not Bills) that this “ may “ HAVE BEEN “ a reputable builder ! I’m hoping for them to step up but last I’ve heard they have not responded ! I’ve become more skeptical with age and having so many cylinders bad I would not recommend them even so many here responding have had good results!
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2019, 09:27:03 AM »
The oil control rings are not installed properly IMO.  The original builder should make it right and if they don't there isn't a lot you can do.  Sue them ?, you can if you want to spend $20K to get $10K back.  Just tell everyone you talk to about what happened and move on.  Their reputation will suffer and a lot of times that is way more important than the $.  Hopefully they make it right and you are moving down the road :-). 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
  Lots of "discovery" is needed before constructing the "hanging tower".
      Randy

As stated earlier, .............and myself somewhat familiar with engines and their potential failures, even with perhaps some formed opinion of possibilities in this instance, would suggest that without observant disassembly and components in hand by knowledgeable individuals, the rest being only speculation and innuendo, I don't believe it to be honorable to pass judgement here, as is so fashionable within perhaps lesser forum groups.       :)

Scott.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »
     The first thing to confront is the cylinder wall condition.Don't waste your time looking at the heads because the cylinder scratches didn't come from leaky valve stem seals.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »
     The first thing to confront is the cylinder wall condition.Don't waste your time looking at the heads because the cylinder scratches didn't come from leaky valve stem seals.
    Randy
+1 . Cylinder wall condition is compelling evidence .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby