Author Topic: build date information  (Read 3436 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: build date information
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 07:08:01 AM »
I've know that the 69 springs were Shelby unique for quite a while. I just presumed that they would have been installed at the Ford assembly plant as done in previous years for "Shelby units"?

Plus it's good to raise questions like this here to call attention to these special situations so that the newbies deal with a steep learning curve quickly?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 11:16:06 AM »
In previous years the rear leafs were ones also available on regular Mustangs. Those were installed on the Ford Assemblyline. Not so for 69/70 Shelby which were unique. I have a extra set of 69/70 Shelby rear leafs and a set of BOSS 302 leafs setting side by side. although the Boss leafs are special as indicated by the engineering number on the bottom plate they are the same dimension as regular Mustang. I took the picture to show difference in all of the leafs except the one with the front eye bushing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:18:08 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »
Also the 2 spring wraps had round holes vs 3  square  hole wraps on regular ford mustang springs. The  very early 69 shelbys had a different spring and different id #s not s9ms or c9zx.

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 08:34:43 AM »
Does anyone have a list of what parts were changed over once the car left the Ford build plant? Both at A.O. Smith and at Shelby. And does this vary by year? I am working on a 69 GT500 (Dearborn built) and would like the information as it pertains to my car, but I am sure that it would help others too. EXAMPLE; On my Carb, it is a 9510 AND has the Shelby specific 4280 list. Where and when was this put on the car? And with the carb, if put on at Ford, since there were so few Shelby's built, what would I expect for a build date on the carb?

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 11:20:10 AM »
What was the reason for the change of springs? Did they REALLY make a big enough difference in ride or handling to justify the labor and part cost. The bean counters must have been jumping up and down over this!
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 11:54:15 AM »
Does anyone have a list of what parts were changed over once the car left the Ford build plant? Both at A.O. Smith and at Shelby. And does this vary by year? I am working on a 69 GT500 (Dearborn built) and would like the information as it pertains to my car, but I am sure that it would help others too. EXAMPLE; On my Carb, it is a 9510 AND has the Shelby specific 4280 list. Where and when was this put on the car? And with the carb, if put on at Ford, since there were so few Shelby's built, what would I expect for a build date on the carb?

Let me try to help...

The semi-completed cars were running and driving cars when they left the FORD plant. Your carburetor was installed by FORD.

Those cars were transported to AOSmith for completion into 1969 Shelbys. If you look at the production photos, you can see what was added.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969Plantpics

These Shelby unique parts include the complete front clip, all other fiberglass components, wiring, roll bar and Shelby console. I might suggest purchasing the Shelby unique parts list for reference as to what these parts are.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-70-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-Cobra-Unique-Parts-Catalog/272848635189?hash=item3f870bc535:g:AAQAAOSwGh5Zu9y3

The cars were not shipped to “Shelby”. AOSmith was the contractor used to finish the cars. Shelby was responsible for management and quality control. Yes, the parts that were changed and or modified varies by year.

I have the Marti report on my 69 GT500 which states the car was built on June 13.

If you have a C9AF-9510-N /Holley list 4280 it should be on a GT500 automatic. It would very likely be dated within a six period before your car was built by Ford. In your specific example, I would expect one of these date codes: “951/952/953/954/961”

I dont believe that carburetor is Shelby unique.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:42:17 PM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 02:49:56 PM »

Let me try to help...

The semi-completed cars were running and driving cars when they left the FORD plant. Your carburetor was installed by FORD.

Those cars were transported to AOSmith for completion into 1969 Shelbys. If you look at the production photos, you can see what was added.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969Plantpics

These Shelby unique parts include the complete front clip, all other fiberglass components, wiring, roll bar and Shelby console. I might suggest purchasing the Shelby unique parts list for reference as to what these parts are.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-70-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-Cobra-Unique-Parts-Catalog/272848635189?hash=item3f870bc535:g:AAQAAOSwGh5Zu9y3

The cars were not shipped to “Shelby”. AOSmith was the contractor used to finish the cars. Shelby was responsible for management and quality control. Yes, the parts that were changed and or modified varies by year.

I have the Marti report on my 69 GT500 which states the car was built on June 13.

If you have a C9AF-9510-N /Holley list 4280 it should be on a GT500 automatic. It would very likely be dated within a six period before your car was built by Ford. In your specific example, I would expect one of these date codes: “951/952/953/954/961”

I dont believe that carburetor is Shelby unique.
The C9AF-9510-N carb is not Shelby unique. What would make it unique was when for 1970 Shelby it was modified (ED for edited on tag)by Kar Kraft with a manual choke .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby