Author Topic: 65 mustang heater box installation  (Read 1936 times)

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
65 mustang heater box installation
« on: August 04, 2019, 10:52:21 AM »
Can the 65 mustang heater box be installed with the glove box in-place or must cardboard glove box be removed and reinstalled after heater box is installed?
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Re: 65 mustang heater box installation
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »
Hi Martin,

I tried to install the heater housing with the cardboard glovebox box in place. It's not happening...
One other little tip while installing the heater box assembly.

: just before you lift up and rotate the attached heater motor/housing into place, push through the heater hoses and attach the hoses and clamps to their appropriate core nipples. Let the hoses dangle in the engine compartment. It just makes life a little easier. At least for me...FYI

Also, I'm remembering things, One of the heater control solid cables needs to be attached (the one that opens and closes the door flap).

Another tip, when you buy your heater hoses with the white or yellow strip, BUY two (2). The companies sell you one piece assuming you have enough hose material for both to and return line. By buying  2 you can position the stripe and attach them to the heater core so they are esthetically positioned and will lay the way you want them to. Then just cut the excess off.  I'm a detail fanatic.

Cheers
~Earl J
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:45:39 PM by SFM5S000 »

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
Earl, once heater box and hoses are in place, does cardboard glove box insert get installed from below dash or folded up and pushed thru the open door?
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
Martin,

It goes up at an angle from below left just where the ash tray (remove ash tray and mount 4 screws) and remove radio if you have one. Also leave loose but don't remove the glovebox light receptacle (tighten it later, make sure the bulb is good). Collapse the cardboard box a little (squish it a little without creasing or damaging it) go at it from that angle, then rotate it into place.

It's a PIA for sure, and a knuckle scraper because of all the sharp edges.

After you're done, quit for the day and come back to it another day when you're in a better frame of mind.

Oh, another thing, before you install the heater assembly, test fit the cardboard glovebox (easily done without the heater in place) as there are different qualities of cardboard inserts. I bought one that didn't fit worth a damn. Buy a good one!! And make sure it fits.

Cheers,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:25:28 PM by SFM5S000 »