Author Topic: Which springs do I have?  (Read 3137 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Which springs do I have?
« on: August 04, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »
Quite a long time ago, I bought Ford service leaf spring assemblies.

They were advertised as the "Performance" rear springs, I believe they were referred to as 665lb spring rated.

They are 4 leaves, well, 3 long and 1 half spring. The spray paint stenciled number on them is #C7ZZ-5560-M. They were made in Canada.

What do I actually have?

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
Re: Which springs do I have?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 11:19:02 PM »
A nice chart on the Concours Mustang forum shows C7ZZ-5560-M as service replacements for several 1967 Heavy Duty/GT applications.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17385.msg109836#msg109836
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 02:09:27 AM »
Thank you.

Looks like the are indeed the 665lb spring according to the chart in reply #20.

I would post that chart here but it belongs to CMF so if Jeff wants to do that, others might benefit.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 04:08:06 AM »
A nice chart on the Concours Mustang forum shows C7ZZ-5560-M as service replacements for several 1967 Heavy Duty/GT applications.

Remember that the chart was only a draft (only 16 matches confirmed out of about 121 numbers)  Was assembled from a MPC and when available (less than a third of the springs) were cross referenced to Mustang buildsheets.

Version #2 expanded to at least 221 different listings from MPCs and the discussions/replies but. Until its completed or at closer to being complete the same information could be found in one fo the later MPCs but like all of those publications they list most often parts carried by Ford when the document was published that Ford carried for a specific purpose. Not always the original part and or engineering number. Just a warning or mention

Not as easy at the using the chart (belongs to a member on the site and not sure he would want to share an incomplete or work in process) but tje 75 version of the MPC is available by section at the link below. You will be looking for a text section not illustrations. Then go to section 5556. Information is broken down by year, body type/model and then application if I recall correctly. For the springs look for section  - 08-1965Text-Suspension.pdf. As mentioned all of the information my not be exactly as the cars were built or delivered but if your looking for a possible application like the original poster asked it should be pretty good.

http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:14:41 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
For those reading and given this is a 67 Shelby section it is easy to get confused if you are not aware that 67 GT350 or GT500 typically was engineered to received the competition suspension option rear leaf spring.Not the original question but thought I would mention this for those that may be reading. Just two example from what I have seen. The C7ZA-AM early and the C7AR for later production used on 67 Shelby.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 11:05:28 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »
Would add that I've documented two other rear spring engineering numbers but waiting to confirm them with other cars in the same order group and or production period. So far both sets of springs do line up (date wise) with the cars production date.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »
Would add that I've documented two other rear spring engineering numbers but waiting to confirm them with other cars in the same order group and or production period. So far both sets of springs do line up (date wise) with the cars production date.
Jeff , to help you with your confirmation process if another engineering number was used it would show up in the the DSO (add and delete sheets).I haven't seen all of the different sheets just ones that have shown ether the AM or AR version.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:32:12 PM »
Not sure if these will help;

2112, is this (like) your spring?  This is an "AT" version.

An example of the early '67 Shelby "AM" spring Bob G is referring to.

Don't seem to have (able to find) my image of a later "AR" version of a '67 Shelby rear spring.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »
Would offer a warning so people do not reproduce or copy all the details they see on JD's example of the AT stamping and marking. Assembly line springs would not be painted black nor have a stenciled part number on them . Plus the stamping in the leaf would be different

C7ZA-5556- AR and AM examples. Stamping differed depending on the supplier and when the springs were made.  Replacements/NOS often differed allot

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:57:12 PM by J_Speegle »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »
JD, That is exactly what I have.

The original bottom leaf is still on the car so I can swap those over to the NOS assemblies.

My goal wasn't geared towards concours correct as much as performance correct. So If the springs I have will give me the same ride height and performance as original, I will be happy.

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
From the 1975 MPC.

F= Mustang
63= Fastback
R/B=Replaced by

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 02:29:44 AM »
Thank you 67_1183

I still reading it as the C7ZZ 5560 M is the correct Ford service replacement for the '67 Shelby with the competition suspension.

Since they are new, I am excited to find they what I need for a non-concours correct but still OEM Spring assembly

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 03:25:22 AM »
I'm reading it as they were original used and marked as -AS, AT, AU or AV

And later used as replacements for N, AD, S, AF & AG stamped rear springs.

C7ZZ-T were used as a replacement for one of the typical Shelby rear springs

Just what I'm seeing on the documents 

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
Correction; M are 665/lb rated springs for improved handling, not the 665/lb rated springs for competition handling.

cascade-classics

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 11:50:42 AM »
Here is a picture of the lower leaf from a 67 Shelby GT350 we are restoring.  Built 05/02/67.  This is after the springs were de-rusted with Rust911..