News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

CAUTION! Car number 67200F7A01377 Indiana

Started by 1968GT350, August 06, 2019, 01:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968GT350

The above mentioned GT350 being offered for sale in Columbus, Indiana. It has some suspicious things going on with the VIN and I wanted to alert other SAAC members that might be interested in the car. First of all, the Shelby tag has been removed, which is never a good thing. What the seller will not disclose is that there is no Ford VIN stamp under where the tag would be riveted, also a bad thing. In fact, there are no holes present in the apron to attach the tag into. The tag itself appears to have been "torn of" the apron at some point as both of the rivet holes are ripped at the edges. I realize that this may be simply he a replacement apron, all though it looks like its been on there a long time. I am not looking for endless debates about about what this may or may not mean in the grand scheme of things, what I am trying to do is save some people some heartache. Please draw your own conclusions and, as is the case with anything, be very careful when purchasing things of this nature. Please see the pictures that I have posted. Have a good day everyone.

silverton_ford

1968GT350

capecodmustang.com

This car is an authentic car.

The Ford number is on this car and there's a Marti Report available

Bret

67_1183

Quote from: silverton_ford on August 06, 2019, 02:05:23 PM
It was also on Facebook marketplace, but now removed.

I still see the Facebook marketplace ad here:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/632434837242633/

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Greg

There is obviously no rivet holes for the tag I assume the apron was changed at some point?

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

1968GT350

As I said, I am not looking for endless debates about the authenticity of the car, I am simply offering up some knowledge I have about it. Do what you like with this information.

capecodmustang.com

I just purchased another 67 from this seller.
The lime gold car is a Shelby and it doesn't have the holes for the tag.
The apron has been changed however the Ford VIN was shown to me on the passenger
apron.

The tag is original and the Shelby number is stamped on the apron.

There's nothing wrong with debate as long as it's constructive and fair....(IMO)

Bret

1968GT350

6s1640

Hi 1968GT350,

I am confused.  If you are not the seller, how or why do you have a photo of the SAI VIN plate?  Do you have in your possession?  Who has the SAI VIN plate to this car?  Does the seller have the plate?  You must have inspected the car and did the seller shared the SAI VIN plate with you?  I wonder why he is not showing in the ad to help authenticate the car along with the Marti report?  Still not absolute it is the same car, but it sure would help.

I like your advice "....be very careful when purchasing things of this nature."  It does require the potential buyer to do their home work and due diligence.

Thank you for sharing.

Cory

1968GT350

Hi Cory,

I was seriously considering buying the car, that is why I have this information. The seller was not forthcoming, (to me), about the fender apron replacement. It was only after I demanded a picture of that area of the car that I got that picture and these facts that I am sharing. Obviously, as a result of a "past fender apron replacement", this fender apron does not have a Ford VIN in the area where the VIN tag would go. Also, there was no logical explanation, (to me), as to why there was a big block style shroud around the heater blower motor. I was also skeptical that the Shelby tag had been removed and I was concerned that the tag had appeared to be torn off the car at some point instead of carefully removed. If I sound like I am choosing my words carefully it is because I am doing exactly that. I am not accusing anyone of fraud, VIN tampering or re-bodying, I am simply stating the facts as I know them.  Here are the facts; 1. The fender apron does not have a Ford VIN on it. 2; The car does not have the Shelby plate attached to it; 3. The Shelby tag that goes with the car appears to have been "less than carefully removed" from the car; and 4. The car has a big block heater motor shroud on it. All of these things, when considered in their totality caused me to have serious concerns about the car. This is my opinion as a potential buyer. If you are a re-seller that is going to do a little re-stamping and a little tag re-riveting this probably won't bother you. I guess my wish is that anyone who potentially buys this car knows these facts about it. Please draw your own conclusions in this matter and appreciate that someone has shared this information with the group.

capecodmustang.com

1968GT350

Actually your concerns are valid
When I see a car without a tag I'm hoping for the holes to be there at least.
However, with some of the cars I've come across many owners take off the tag at some point.
In this case the owner found the tag in the glove compartment!

The Ford VIN is on the passenger side and the Shelby number is stamped there as well.
Along with the Shelby tag I reached the conclusion it was a real car.

Some of the comments of Facebook and Barn Find were just dumb.
It can't be a real Shelby because there's no tag?
If the pink slip doesn't say "Shelby" it's not one...?

I also should point out as a seller of these cars I tried to weed out buyers that obviously are doing nothing
but trying to run down my car.
I'm sure anyone that has sold a Shelby has had similar issues.

Bret

Heater motor shield on a 67 GT 350 is not out of the ordinary.

Jon

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: 6s1640 on August 06, 2019, 06:21:16 PM
Hi 1968GT350,

I am confused.  If you are not the seller, how or why do you have a photo of the SAI VIN plate?  Do you have in your possession?  Who has the SAI VIN plate to this car?  Does the seller have the plate?  You must have inspected the car and did the seller shared the SAI VIN plate with you?  I wonder why he is not showing in the ad to help authenticate the car along with the Marti report?  Still not absolute it is the same car, but it sure would help.

I like your advice "....be very careful when purchasing things of this nature."  It does require the potential buyer to do their home work and due diligence.

Thank you for sharing.

Cory

Marti Report...
Awhile back I was selling a 67 and I made sure the Marti didn't show the Ford number...
However, with the allure of the internet I was asked "what I was hiding"....
Before I responded later on in the day a few internet sleuths reached the conclusion I was hiding something and
it likely wasn't a real car....

There are websites devoted to lifting your photos and starting a conversation about your car and then trying to destroy it....

Bret

Bossbill

Wow, that car number is really, really close to mine.
Thankfully, mine was in much better shape before I began the restoration.

And yes, mine has the heater blower motor shield as well -- a common find on GT350s.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx