Author Topic: CORRECT 67 GT500 PCV VALVE GROMMET  (Read 1697 times)

Mike James

• View Profile
CORRECT 67 GT500 PCV VALVE GROMMET
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »
Anyone ever blow out a PCV valve grommet?   Possibly mine was old and rotten, not quite sure.

Anyone have a part number for the correct one?

Mike James

• View Profile
Re: CORRECT 67 GT500 PCV VALVE GROMMET
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 10:25:37 PM »
I think I might have the wrong grommet.  My grommet has notches but the valve cover on the right side of my car does not have the notches.  Could that cause the grommet to blow out?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 10:37:00 PM »
Anyone ever blow out a PCV valve grommet?   Possibly mine was old and rotten, not quite sure.

Anyone have a part number for the correct one?
They don't typically blow out . The PCV and hose would also hold it .They twist into a key way and it would be hard for them to blow out at least with the lower ears in place. More like old and rotten ones crumble apart and are lost that way.   Repros are out there. I can't help with part number but originals can be identified by a C7AE -6A892-A engineering number and a FoMoCo in block letters inside a rectangle.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:24:12 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mike James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:01:58 PM »
Bob,
So are the notched ones correct?  The valve covers don't have notches like the repro ones. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 11:19:32 PM »
Bob,
So are the notched ones correct?  The valve covers don't have notches like the repro ones.
All the ones I have seen had the the rubber bottom ears/notches in place but had the top ear set cut back flush. All of the vintage magazine photos I checked of obvious early production and later production cars (by characteristics) show the wide diameter grommet.  If there was another one that was more typical I would like to know about it. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:29:54 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mike James

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »
So I need to cut the top notches off the grommet?  Definitely had two sets of notches.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 12:20:08 AM »
So I need to cut the top notches off the grommet?  Definitely had two sets of notches.
If you don't that grommet will not work.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »
The reproduction grommet is a real issue. It's also a much softer rubber than the O/E unit.
                                                                                                  -Keith