Author Topic: CAUTION! Car number 67200F7A01377 Indiana  (Read 5850 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: CAUTION! Car number 67200F7A01377 Indiana
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 09:35:41 PM »
Some of the comments of Facebook and Barn Find were just dumb.
It can't be a real Shelby because there's no tag?
If the pink slip doesn't say "Shelby" it's not one...?
[/quote]

+1 One of the most uninformed in the tread along with "its easy to tell if a car is a real Shelby" or similar comments  really stood out.

As usual - this is one of the down sides of too much "information" if you can call it that. IMHO

The car and its history is a collection of facts and findings. Have no opinion of the car the thread is about nor connected to it in any known way. Just general observations.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:39:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 01:12:12 AM »
Hi Cory,

I was seriously considering buying the car, that is why I have this information. The seller was not forthcoming, (to me), about the fender apron replacement. It was only after I demanded a picture of that area of the car that I got that picture and these facts that I am sharing. Obviously, as a result of a "past fender apron replacement", this fender apron does not have a Ford VIN in the area where the VIN tag would go. Also, there was no logical explanation, (to me), as to why there was a big block style shroud around the heater blower motor. I was also skeptical that the Shelby tag had been removed and I was concerned that the tag had appeared to be torn off the car at some point instead of carefully removed. If I sound like I am choosing my words carefully it is because I am doing exactly that. I am not accusing anyone of fraud, VIN tampering or re-bodying, I am simply stating the facts as I know them.  Here are the facts; 1. The fender apron does not have a Ford VIN on it. 2; The car does not have the Shelby plate attached to it; 3. The Shelby tag that goes with the car appears to have been "less than carefully removed" from the car; and 4. The car has a big block heater motor shroud on it. All of these things, when considered in their totality caused me to have serious concerns about the car. This is my opinion as a potential buyer. If you are a re-seller that is going to do a little re-stamping and a little tag re-riveting this probably won't bother you. I guess my wish is that anyone who potentially buys this car knows these facts about it. Please draw your own conclusions in this matter and appreciate that someone has shared this information with the group.

Hi 1968GT350,

You sharing information is good and appreciated.  Together we are smarter.  The car is what it is and the potential buyer will have to make their own determination.  If what Bret says is true, it should then be easy to authenticate the car.

I understand what you said "I am not looking for endless debates....", but please recognize when you post, there will be discussion.  All is good. 

Take care

Cory
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 01:16:28 AM by 6s1640 »

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 08:21:09 AM »
Right on Bret! Things you say are making good sense!
RARE  Signature Delete

nate

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • Nate's Classic Cars
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »
Bret is right, this is a real car. No question....I looked at this car back in January when the previous owner bought it off an older gentleman who had it from the early/mid 70s. The Shelby has the Ford VIN on the passenger side and shelby # on apron. Shelby Tag is original and was found by the previous owner in the glove box after purchase. Drivetrain is original to the car as well. The car has switched hands again to a new owner about an hour south of me that is selling it now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:01:59 PM by nate »

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 05:52:19 PM »
If restored and the original plate was attached who would really know about the replaced inner fender?
It all come down to price...

Thanks for sharing the ad and also for posting the photos!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 06:19:31 PM »
I think people would be shocked if they knew how many cars have had tags or numbers replaced.

They key here is disclosure, so everyone can make their own decisions.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 05:31:35 AM »
No stitch welding on the shock towers either.

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »
Did 67’ GT 350’s come fr9m the factory with engine lift hooks?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
Did 67’ GT 350’s come fr9m the factory with engine lift hooks?
There are typically no engine lift hooks left on the 67 GT350 engine from the factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 02:51:26 PM »
My first Shelby GT350 had the engine hooks and rear transporter hooks on the rear frame rails.I bought it off the original owner who told me it was just the way it came. He owned it from 1967 to 1980.
RARE  Signature Delete

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 02:59:29 PM »
I had a tired old 67 GT 350 years ago...
The original engine had it's life hooks still on it.....

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »
I am trying not to be disrespectful to anyone so please don't shoot the messenger but I have lost count of all of the previous owner 2nd hand accounts of out of the ordinary things that were supposed to be original on cars during the selling of,evaluation of or concours judging of cars. Also something found on a car by someone who isn't well versed in forensic side of dissecting the Shelby cars doesn't automatically make it confirmed evidence just anecdotal evidence at best.  We don't have the provenience for the 289 hipo lift not being removed like we do for the heat shields on BB or lift hooks on BB that were supposed to be taken off according to the engineering directions. You may not have noticed but I wrote "typically"  ;) to cover the possible anomaly's. None of the vintage photos of the 67 GT350 that I have ever come across or the many survivor examples over the years that I have studied supports that the lift hooks being left on typically. I also use the word "typically" because I haven't seen them all. That leaves room for the few that may have been left on by mistake. In concours judging unless you can provide reasonable proof for something extraordinary like the lift hooks on your specific car GT350 (since being on one example doesn't mean it was right for all cars in this instance) then there would be a deduction.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof/evidence. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 11:45:14 PM »
i looked at this car and it is the real deal shelby  i  just wanted a gt 500,