News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fender Identification Shelby vs Standard Mustang

Started by cboss70, August 06, 2019, 03:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I was looking at some 67 fenders I have last night and noticed the coupe ones I have look exactly like my original Shelby ones.  They both seemed to have the inner lip at the top turned/rolled in a little (factory look- not rolled by a back yard hot rodder).  The only difference I noticed between the std mustang and Shelby fenders were emblem holes.  Long story for a short question- were they all the same?

J_Speegle

In general they are the same. There was an issue early in 67 Production  of the Mustang with the wheel lip on cars ordered with the 70 series tires. Ford instructed the dealers to modify the front wheel wells of cars in stock and those that would come back for the problem and stated they would address the issue going forward at the car assembly plants

Bottom line is yes you can use Mustang fenders on a Shelby with some minor modifications.  If your interested in date correct then looking and understanding how they were dated may be important to you
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cboss70

Thanks Jeff. That's an interesting piece about the early ones I didn't know. I assumed they were the same design but figured its good info to validate and put the info in the (weak and tired)mental vault for future reference. I've seen lots of altered 65-70 fenders/quarters and it gets confusing when and on what cars had modified lips.