Author Topic: Good wood Festival of Speed questions  (Read 3344 times)

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
Good wood Festival of Speed questions
« on: August 08, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »
Out of the ordinary, but has anyone from SAAC ever been to the world known Goodwood Festival of Speed?

If so, as a driver, car owner or spectator?
We have a factory backed race car that may qualify.
Looking for any information before we submit a request for Invitation for the 2020 Event.
Thanks in advance,
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Re: Good wood Festival of Speed questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 01:40:59 PM »
I tried to get my car accepted but got a “thanks, no thanks” response. They want Historically Significant cars ( mostly cars with race history). They very nice but weren’t interested at this time
Email is grrc@goodwood.com
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »

Been solely as a spectator, it helped having friends there that knew the ins and outs of getting better tickets, parking, etc.  My understanding is the committee that handles acceptance of entries works two years out so by applying now you might get accepted for 2021.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:41 PM »
Thank you guys.
It is hard to find out info, beings they are in the UK.
yes, we think it will be next to impossible, but:

I guess this kind of reflects to a very recent post about the 67 gt 350 that sold real cheap recently on ebay>> think it was EPAY?.
It bridged itself off into talking about future values and if the younger gens coming up would be buyers for Shelby's or, whatever,

case in point;

Took 5 years, but I stayed on one of the two factory backed comp car, not of ford origin, but kind of.
Rod Millens Mazda Motorsport factory backed Miata.
Only two ever made and were the only ones factory backed.
Ran 12 hours of Sebring, 24 hours of Mossport and many other pro tracks.

Has competed in the Chicago/Geneva Invitational 2 years ago, the Concours was in conjunction with the 70th SCCA Anniversary.
We were humbled, as they gave it center stage, with a Porsche 906 werks car, and a Indy car from Mario.

We submitted, feeling good about the old girl, to the Cincinnati Concours Invitational, and received another Invitation.
To our surprise we took a Blue Ribbon award, and 3rd in werks cars, 1st place was a Aston Martin race car.
there were legit Cobra's and other high dollar pieces we competed against.

We are in the process of using our provenance now for submission to the Amelia Invitational.

BUT, my long term friend, Cooper, which I have been selling a bunch of his hipo/shelby parts on here for about 4 years now>>> said lets go for the gusto.

Who knows, " maybe our luck will end" but,  "maybe not."

One thing a person needs to understand>> that this all relates too what the next generations will want to see on the field and probably want to buy;

We call it Mazda's two seeds and a Gamble, as these two cars are the first that raced on these shores
&
as everybody that races probably knows there are now more Miata's racing on tracks on any given day, than any other make & model, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari Mercedes etc.
Better yet;
they were placed in the Genesis book of worlds records for the most sold two seat roadster in the History of automobiles, 1878-2019 and into the future.

Kind of a Cobra Coupe in a way.
So after roughly 40 or so early Shelby's I have had, we shifted gears.

With basics said;
We have hopes that it may be enough to get an Invitation to Goodwood Festival of Speed.
Cooper has the bucks to fly it over>> and have the time of his life >>>

All I can do is keep promotion up and submit for more Invitationals.

Long story shortened, I do think 65-70 Shelby's will hang tight for years to come, and future Gens / buyers , even though there will be lessor numbers, will buy them.
We shall see.
Ahhh, that crystal ball.

Respectfully submitted,
John

https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

6s1139

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »
Out of the ordinary, but has anyone from SAAC ever been to the world known Goodwood Festival of Speed?

If so, as a driver, car owner or spectator?
We have a factory backed race car that may qualify.
Looking for any information before we submit a request for Invitation for the 2020 Event.
Thanks in advance,
John

We went in 2018 as spectators (but would love to take a car one day)

You could try talking to the members, from what I understand if they want your car then they will bring it in for you (cover costs) but as others have mentioned, needs to be pretty special or relevant.

On relevancy, each year there are different themes (and sub themes) as well as major publicity type events - on 2018 there was a celebration of DG's career with many cars that he had been part of represented - real ones, no clones (even a Boss from Australia was shipped in, a few from the US). There was also Fords release of the Bullet so they also bought in the one remaining original movie car

Was also a milestone for Landrover (70 I think), so they have car #1, #2 etc etc there as well. People we were with had a car there as well (on display at the main house, not on track), was not a race car but a lovely period light truck

Summary - needs to be real, needs to be relevant/unique/special

cheers

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:16:25 PM »

Given the cars history it would seem natural to involve Mazda USA in this process. They may be your best avenue to acceptance to Goodwood.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 12:24:20 PM »
CSX 4133, 6S1139, Steve,

First off, thanks for that email address Steve, I found nothing like that on their sites.
CSX, have thought about that, but have not approached Mazda about it.

I have learned doing historical research, it is sometimes a maze to get through to people>> at Corporate decision making levels>, that one  personally needs to talk to, in request of their promotion and or assistance.
But, as you say, perhaps worth a try after finding out who to contact first, oh boy.
Heacock Insurance may be an avenue for us, we have chatted. They insure the car, and had interest in the Provenance for something ?

Steve, You posted that they kindly rejected your submission.
That kind of peaked my interest to find out if >>>> any GT 40's, Cobra's, Daytona's or Shelbys have ran the Goodwoods events?

English builds, surely >>> some of the cars noted above have ran the event?
I think it might be interesting knowledge, neat to know category?

6S1139, thanks for the general information. That would be nice if they would fly the old girl there.
I do believe that you are quite correct in how the manage and change the events.

Something else, I think the driver must race credentials to drive, which I think they demand ?
Cooper is a past SCCA Championship driver. The Millens car was updated in 2012 to race.

It should be good to go, but that and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee>> ha

Does anybody know if any of the cars noted herein, has raced at Goodwoods ?

Respectfully submitted,
John

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »
To answer your question regarding Shelby's, GT40, Cobra having ever run at Goodwood, yes, numerous times. If you run a search on Youtube you will see videos of previous runs up the hill.

Here's one video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hIQOgk7a0Y  and one of a Mazda RX7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjC60v-Ijk4
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:49:23 PM by CSX 4133 »

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
Just to give you an idea of what runs at Goodwood
Here’s the list
https://www.goodwood.com/globalassets/.road--racing/road/news/2019/june/whos-driving-what-2019-v1.6.pdf

It’s still on my bucket list of shows I want to be at. I even checked in shipping the car to South Hampton from Baltimore, it’s only about an hour’s drive to Goodwood from the port of South Hampton
I figure they might run out if race cars to invite when I pass the 250,000 mile marker, hopefully in 2022 or perhaps sooner
The Mazda sounds like it would a great fit, tell them you want to “bring your rental” (my Hertz car) with zone as a moral support animal 🦔
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
csx4133
Holy Cow.
The cobra coupe could not get any bite at all/

Surprised to see the RX-7
I know they have been heavily raced at tracks.
The Miata, after the two Millens cars were launched, and as history now shows, took over the spotlight for Mazda.

Steve, Love the short story about a  bucket list trip to Goodwood, via an easy and leisure cruise>> ha
I can tell them that the Hertz car is a rent a racer which we turned into a tow car>> because it has AC>>

Sending the submission in with all the pertinent details this weekend.
It would sure be cool if it is given an invitation.

Cool to see that some Ford's were mixed into the list of cars you provided Steve >>> quite the list of world race cars.
The drivers list is like an all star race list.
Fast Company, without a doubt.
Will keep you guys informed about what happens.
Thanks
John

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:35:40 AM by Harris Speedster »

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 02:54:28 AM »
Edit!!! Sorry just realised you asked about the festival of speed. I was talking here about the Goodwood revival. Personally I will never go to the Festival again, Its like a New car show in many respects.

It is a brilliant show. I took my wife years ago before she was a "car" person and ever since she is the driving force of us going nearly every year. The Festival of speed doesn't hold a candle to it (its alot of modern stuff and the hill climb is hard to view as there are enormous hay bales in your line of site alongside the track)

I don't have any relevant info about entering a car to be part of the show but can attest to the fact that the parking lot reserved for old cars only (I believe pre 1967??) is a site to behold. Literally thousands of very serious collectible cars from Blower bentleys to old race cars to everything you can imagine all parked in neat rows whilst the folks mull around inside the show. The show outside the show, the vendors area just aside the vintage parking lot is superb as well with the show organisers obviously vetting the folks who want to display. Only high quality stuff is shown there for sale.

The show its self is an envelope of the 1970s and earlier. Not one vehicle, wether attending, selling wares or even collecting the trash is allowed on site if it is later than a 1967, So the trash collection vehicles are vintage, the vehicles hauling folks to and fro are vintage...most of the crowd dresses up. Seriously dresses up in vintage clothing, Hair, makeup, shoes, Accessories, Folks go all out. As far as the cars in attendance, Best of the best and racing their hearts out with bashed fenders not uncommon

You have to buy attendence tickets 6 months minimum in advance as it sells out and lodging a year or so in advance as the crowds are insane
Cheers. Peter

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »
Peter,
My error.
We would like to go for one reason, to race the hill.
But now, you have enlighten us on much more !
Neither Cooper or I have any interest, just like you and your spouse, to look at new cars, yukk.
I doubt that I will ever be able to go, just a po boy.
But, in the future, perhaps the Speedster with its significant meaning to automotive history, may want to it be highlighted by the show producers

The race and showing of the neatest old racers in the world >>> yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am on a learning curve here, so glad you clued me in, and for that fact, anybody else that reads these postings.

So, you are saying that both, lets say racing exhibitions for time , and a brilliant walk through historical machinery>> all takes place at the same time and venue?

That would be a circus, but  none the less, a circus of the best of the best from around the world.
I am getting more excited, and can see why it is in the bucket lists of many.

It would be cool if other SAAC members, with significant gt 40's full comp cobra's and a hand few of werks type Shelbys, placed submissions.
Even If I never get to go, or participate, >> I would highly enjoy watching our Ford Boys get it one. YES !!!!!!!!

That Cobra coupe' was cool, WHO own's it, and was that him racing the hill ?

Did I get the details correct that you provided?
John

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 05:00:49 AM »
"So, you are saying that both, lets say racing exhibitions for time , and a brilliant walk through historical machinery>> all takes place at the same time and venue?"

100% yes and the quality of which I am sure is best in the world

The external vintage parking lot which you request a pass for when booking tickets has thousands of classic car from 5k drivers to 2 million and up rare exotics

I cant really put into words the show. Vintage cars, bikes, display vehicles, high level vendors, planes..  you name it