Author Topic: - Shelby American and its only European Transporter  (Read 12861 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: - Shelby American and its only European Transporter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »
The next race was the big one at ‘Le Mans’. Here’s are several photos from around that time before and maybe after.
The first two photos show of the freshly finished Daytona Coupe of csx2299 and csx2287 ready for the 24 hour event.

The 3rd photo here shows the transporter loaded with the Daytona’s passing through a checkpoint (likely between Italy and France).
Both Daytona Coupe’s appear fully prepped with race numbers and loaded on the upper deck.
Even the white nose paint is visible on the front car, csx2287.

This last 4th photo appears to be taken at the track in Le Mans. Here we see each of the Daytona's loaded on a different deck level.
#5 CSX2299 finished 1st in GT, 4th overall
#6 CSX2287 was DQ, disqualified for a pit violation

Bruce Dowell photo

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:57:18 PM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 07:09:55 PM »
Notice the Man sitting up inside the trailer at the front of car #5. Must be getting out of the sun?

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »
Notice the Man sitting up inside the trailer at the front of car #5. Must be getting out of the sun?

The suit is hiding in there very well. Getting out of the sun is a good guess for why.

This is the first photo I noticed the spare tire blatantly hanging off the tail end.
The second rear axle does not appear to be part of the driveline, just their for support with a single rim/tire per side.
The first rear axle is a dually.

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 01:48:14 AM »
The transporter and the 2 digitally scanned (from the originals) and detailed PBX2287 and PBX2299 recreations at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year..just for a THEN and Now impression. (Picture from GW FOS photogallery)

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 11:36:20 AM »

The second rear axle does not appear to be part of the driveline, just their for support with a single rim/tire per side.

Yes, commonly called a "Tag Axle" and is a "dead" axle; a popularly added component, as in this instance post the original chassis construction from the manufacturer to permit increase to the vehicles G.V.W.; and or just improved stability particularly if the intended weighted load location should be move rearward thereby relocating the center of gravity to far back hence unloading the front steer axle and overloading the single rear axle.

I suspect the vehicle increased some in overall length in this process also?    ???

Scott.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 12:45:42 PM »
The transporter and the 2 digitally scanned (from the originals) and detailed PBX2287 and PBX2299 recreations at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year..just for a THEN and Now impression. (Picture from GW FOS photogallery)

Nice to see the transporter is continued to be put on display for all to enjoy.

Those recreation Daytona's are interesting. The originals finish results were;
csx2299 #5 finished 1st in GT, 4th overall
csx2287 #6 DNF'd (DQ for pit violation at lap 131?)

https://www.racingsportscars.com/results/Le_Mans-1964-06-22.html

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »

Yes, commonly called a "Tag Axle" and is a "dead" axle; a popularly added component, as in this instance post the original chassis construction from the manufacturer to permit increase to the vehicles G.V.W.; and or just improved stability particularly if the intended weighted load location should be move rearward thereby relocating the center of gravity to far back hence unloading the front steer axle and overloading the single rear axle.

I suspect the vehicle increased some in overall length in this process also?    ???

Scott.

"Dead axle" that was the term I was looking for. Thanks!

The Reventlow F1's were substantially lighter so adding the 'dead axle was an absolute necessity for hauling the Cobra's/Daytona's.
I don't believe they lengthened the transporter. The overhang was quite long in the single axle configuration.

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »
Tandem rear axle with single dead axle backwards today.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »
Just noting some differences, changes/additions, deletions, references...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:02:12 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »
Well done JD!

You've pointed out some of the clear differences between the initial built Reventlow version and the revised Shelby American conversion.

On the Reventlow version, I did notice the wide arch over the singe axle rear wheels before (orange arrows), but not the stepped down open section behind it (circled in red) or the small half arched opening in front of it (circled in purple). Maybe the small section was a foot step?
Your vertical lines show the dead axle was an add-on behind the existing driveline tandem axle.

Looking at the older photos and the new restoration I noticed another detail change. The lower chrome horizontal strip disappeared at somewhere in this past. I will address that as we get to that in the chronological order.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 05:22:53 PM »
In early July 1964 the Shelby American transporter arrives in town with the Cobra Daytona’s ready for the Reims 12 hour race. Dave Friedman took a nice sequence of photos here while they were unloading the two coupes from both decks. A small crowd gathered to watch while the first coupe CSX2287 is unloaded from the bottom deck.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:24:31 PM by Richstang »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 05:30:36 PM »
The crowd dissipates to only a few spectators by the time they start unloading the second coupe CSX2299 from the top deck.
We also get a glimpse as the ramps are getting disassembled.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:33:23 PM by Richstang »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »
Just noting some differences, changes/additions, deletions, references...

It looks to me as though it picked up some length ahead of the front axle, with perhaps longer front doors, this perhaps providing better ingress and egress for driver and occupants, and also again aiding in the endeavor to move the center of gravity forward?  Perhaps, my observations are just illusions within the photographs, or perhaps I'm just determined to argue that the dog-gone thing got longer when the axle was added!       ???

Not me, but come-on, somebody has to have one of those fancy-dancy computer programs (the "Stanley" held up to the screen ain't get'n it!) that would take a measurement from say the steel wheel ring and then compare this value to the overall length of the vehicle for a better determination, at least within the accuracy permitted from the photographs and considered angles?       :o

Scott.

BTW: if you prove I'm wrong, do me a favor, keep it quiet, please?        ::)

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
Shots from last week for comparison.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 04:17:33 PM »
Thanks, some more profile reference points...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:20:44 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0