Author Topic: - Shelby American and its only European Transporter  (Read 12867 times)

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: - Shelby American and its only European Transporter
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 01:13:03 PM »
Dont understand the "Danger Air Brakes" bumper sticker at reply #28.

Air brakes Dangerous?  Since when ???

Using Air brakes downhill in the Alps for example the follower does not see a brake light, that's probably why (at least back then?) I am no trucker:-)

On a straight truck, function of the brakes air or hydraulic, or even the combination of, still generally requires actuation of the foot pedal, and with this one should enact the electrical brake light circuit luminating the bulb(s), always, at least if all is well.     

As far as the signage declaring that the vehicle is equipped with air brakes and potential danger, I believe it is intended to serve as a notice to those with involvement of the vehicles' functioning as there are unique concerns for such verses the hydraulic or mechanical systems, and not all persons may be permitted to operate the vehicle equipped as such.           ???   

An example: say the operator of the vehicle jumps in the drivers seat, after a long duration of stoppage, this permitting the air pressure to be lost, starts the engine and places the vehicle in motion prior to permitting a duration of time to pass permitting the air system to regain sufficient pressure, there will be no brakes!  My M911 Oshkosh Military Tractor addresses this issue by making the throttle pedal to fuel injection pump (diesel) an air operated function, therefore: no air, no throttle.       ;)

Or perhaps to remind the operator that excessive repetitive actuation of the air brakes may tax the delivery rate from the air compressor hence draining the air volume and therefore pressure leading to loss of brake function; this being evident in city traffic congestion, or perhaps long down hill runs, both where the operator would be on and off the brakes and the engine R.P.M.s may be low thereby reducing the pumping rate for the compressor and air supply delivery.           :(   

And then maybe as a reminder that when parked, engine off, in the early years of air brakes, you might "set" your brakes and walk away, but when the air pressure bleeds down the brakes will release, as "spring-lock" air cans were developed later.  What this vehicle is equipped with I have no idea, but one should always "set" the mechanical parking brake or chock the wheels when the vehicle is unattended, to avoid surprises upon returning to where one thought, they left their vehicle otherwise.            :-\

Generally, particular training is required for the operators of air brake equipped vehicles to address these and other concerns unique to it's operation; that meaning that the sign might really be saying: if your not trained and certified to operate vehicles equipped with air brakes, stay away, as otherwise you present a danger to yourself and others!           :o 

Scott.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »
Cool thread
Great photo history!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 04:37:15 PM »
True, Scott, I thought the air brakes could be activated downhill by hand as well, since i noticed some additonal valves in old diagramms, but makes no sense at all, there would be fading brakes anyway :-)

Actually I mixed that up as well with an eddie current brake function (>year 2000).

Seems there is a more actual Napa truck air brake system in the transporter today. I think in those days they only had a one-line brake system, which would not be road-approved today anyway.
John Grant - ex-mechanic of Alan Mann said, they had a lot of trouble with the engine during their operation time. Might ask him again about the brake system some time.

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »
The photos in reply #12 might indicate a brake issue. ???
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
Having trouble with the overworked and underpowered Fiat engine, Alan Mann had it changed to a Leyland driveline.
When that change happened is not exactly clear, but I assume it was sometime in 1965.

Just before Lemans in 1965, the ’59 Fiat Bartoletti 306/2 transporter gets another tweak.
The lower center side section has the “ALAN MANN RACING LTD. BYFLEET, ENGLAND” letters removed.
Those letters are now added above the “COBRA POWERED BY FORD” lettering, across the top of the hauler in a larger size.
This photo was taken at Alan Mann Racing in Byfleet, UK. 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:14:06 PM by Richstang »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2019, 11:38:24 AM »
True, Scott, I thought the air brakes could be activated downhill by hand as well,

I believe what you are referencing would be the trailer brake control handle, generally today located to the right of the steering wheel and mount high, perhaps emanating out of the dash board for easy access, of "T" handle configuration being quite popular, that allows thru it's travel as pulled rearward supplies a modulated braking effect on the trailer brakes only, of a tractor trailer truck configuration.  And the rear brake lights are intended to luminate when such is applied, as generally a hydraulic pressure switch within the system would be tripped.        ;)

And yes, quite often used in excess of the original engineering intention for such things as down hill runs, as often the driver may own the tractor but is contract hauling the trailer, and prefers to wear out someone else's brake hardware, even if it is not a proper or even safe technique.         :o

Scott.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:21:46 PM by pbf777 »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
Having trouble with the overworked and underpowered Fiat engine, Alan Mann had it changed to a Leyland driveline.

This would be inevitable!  First off, how could a proper Englishmen with the intent to "show-up" the Italians on the track, but then needs a Fiat to get them there; and on top of that, none of the wenches (Whitworth) in the toolbox fit either!         ::)

Scott.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2019, 09:09:48 PM »
By August 15th, there was one last race in the ’65 season for the Daytona’s. The ‘Coppa Citta’ di Enna’ 500km was held near the town of Enna, Sicily.
Here the transporter is hauling the two Daytona’s CSX2601 and CSX2299 to the race.

I just noticed the added driving lights attached to the transporter's front bumper.

#24 CSX2601 finished 1st in GT and 3rd overall
#20 CSX2299 finished 2nd in GT and 4th overall

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:28:31 PM by Richstang »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »
In 1966 the ’59 Fiat Bartoletti 306/2 transporter had a new mission. It was hauling Ford’s GT40’s. I believe Shelby sold it to Alan Mann for this purpose.
Photos of the transporter in 1966 are rare. Here it appears before the June ‘24 hours of Le Mans’ race with two of Alan Mann’s lightweight Ford XGT’s.
We also see a Ford GT backup car P/1012 still painted in white from the previous race at Spa.

Ford MKII XGT-1 DNF (6 hrs in) clutch
Ford MKII XGT-2 DNF (8hrs in) front suspension)

After the Ferrari purchase debacle, Ford decided they didn't want an Italian transporter hauling their American GT’s. Soon after the 1966 Le Mans race it was sold.   

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:41:46 PM by Richstang »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2019, 02:32:14 PM »
Awesome thread

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
Sometime around 1967 the ’59 Fiat Bartoletti 306/2 was purchased by John Wolfe Racing in England.

It is once again repainted, now dark blue with twin yellow rally stripes on the cab nose and roof.
Large yellow lettering was added on the top sides as “JOHN WOOLFE RACING EATON SOCON HUNTS ENGLAND” along with a yellow Wolfs head logo on both cab doors.
The front grille appears to have been change (maybe broken and repaired)

Coincidently, John owned an AC Cobra. Other cars included the ‘Hustler’ a Chevy powered t-bucket type of hot rod and the “Hustler II” a V16 rail dragster.
John was tragically killed while racing in a Porsche 917 at Lemans in 1969.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:45:45 PM by Richstang »

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
In 1966 the ’59 Fiat Bartoletti 306/2 transporter had a new mission. It was hauling Ford’s GT40’s. I believe Shelby sold it to Alan Mann for this purpose.
Photos of the transporter in 1966 are rare. Here it appears before the June ‘24 hours of Le Mans’ race with two of Alan Mann’s lightweight Ford XGT’s.
We also see a Ford GT backup car P/1012 still painted in white from the previous race at Spa.

Ford MKII XGT-1 DNF (6 hrs in) clutch
Ford MKII XGT-2 DNF (8hrs in) front suspension)

After the Ferrari purchase debacle, Ford decided they didn't want an Italian transporter hauling their American GT’s. Soon after the 1966 Le Mans race it was sold.   

I know somewhere I seen an exact replica diorama of the hauler with the #8 GT40 and other #7 GT40 and the one loaded in front , and even had the figurines kneeling/standing.

I cannot remember where I seen it. Maybe old forum??
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:19:52 PM by 69mach351w »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2019, 11:30:29 PM »
Yes, I've seen that one before as well. 1/43rd scale. The die-cast company made the SAI livery in Guardsman Blue.
They also made some of the later livery versions. All were very expensive including the car which were sold separately.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
Sometime later in 1969, the transporter was sold to David Piper with the Acto Racing Team.

The transporter was yet again repainted, this time in BP green. Noted by some as a Lotus race car team, it was actually hauling Piper’s Porsche 917 team cars.
There are no photos of the transporter in its entirety that I'm aware of during this period. We only get these small glimpses in the background with race cars.
A few photos of it appear in April 1970, in France, at the Dijon 1000 KM. No photos have been found showing if it was lettered with the team name or if it had any logo sponsors.
We can see the team support van is lettered "DAVID PIPER ACTO RACING ENGLAND" so the transporter probably was lettered like that as well.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:34:12 PM by Richstang »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2019, 01:44:16 PM »
Still in 1970, in between June and November, David Piper rented the transporter to Steve McQueen.

McQueen used the transporter for several roles in his “Le Mans” movie.
It was noted as painted in Gulf colors for the Porsche transporter and painted again in red for the Renault/Mirage hauler.
(No photos have been found of either the Gulf or Mirage team liveries. It was mentioned that these versions may have been edited out of the film.)
Finally still painted red, a simple logo change made into the Ferrari transporter. It remained in the Ferrari paint scheme after the film.

David Piper was one of the movies hired race drivers and suffered a severe injury during filming. 

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:46:18 PM by Richstang »