News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

early stripe GT500 information

Started by tonys_shelby, August 10, 2019, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonys_shelby

I just learned there is a "early" stripe difference for the stripes on '67 500's is that true and does anyone know what the cut off would be for the later?

JD

If you mean the rocker stripes with the models designation - Never heard of that, others may know better.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on August 10, 2019, 06:05:08 PM
If you mean the rocker stripes with the models designation - Never heard of that, others may know better.
I'm with you. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 10, 2019, 03:18:57 PM
I just learned there is a "early" stripe difference.....

Hmm.  All ears  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 10, 2019, 03:18:57 PM
I just learned there is a "early" stripe difference for the stripes on '67 500's is that true and does anyone know what the cut off would be for the later?

Where did you hear that? I never heard anyone phrase it that way?

I claim that my 68 GT350 had a different color stripe on it when I bought it in '72. It was a lighter metallic blue then the current replacement color or even the S2MS Ford service part that I bought over the counter in '75. That was ok, because I didn't like the original since it was different then the 66 stripes.

I also saw that color on a local KR. I can't prove it but if I knew there was going to have been any kind of controversy I would have documented it.

I didn't even have a 35mm camera then. I was shooting pics out of a 110 and whatever prints survived have turned odd colors due to the labs using Fugi processes on Kodak film. Even the slides are fading and getting weird.

Maybe it's just from the exposure to the lead in the air from the car exhausts? Hum? :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

Perhaps you mean in the Font of the "GT 350/500" indentification.  Then I'd say it seems it was corrected in the current crop of repop stripes.  Or so they said.

tonys_shelby

Scott Drake started making rocker stripes that are specifically for 1967 and they have an early or late set that they say are different. But I've never heard of a difference either.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 11, 2019, 07:55:57 PM
Scott Drake started making rocker stripes that are specifically for 1967 and they have an early or late set that they say are different. But I've never heard of a difference either.
At best one is right and one is wrong . At worst both are wrong.  ::)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tonys_shelby

Bob, are you saying basically don't worry about it, put the rocker stripes for either one?

Coralsnake

Scott Drake doesn't have a history of being particularly accurate with their reproduction parts.

Perhaps they are trying to differentiate between 1967 and 1968 stripes?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on August 11, 2019, 08:33:11 PM
Bob, are you saying basically don't worry about it, put the rocker stripes for either one?
I have not examined any of the so called early late stripes Scott Drake sells . I was unaware that Scott Drake offered a stripe for 67 Shelby. I am saying it is a crap shoot with the Scott Drake ones. You may win but more likely lose given the early late confusion. I haven't had a incentive to check the Scott Drake stripes even if I was aware of them given the 67 ones Branda sells have been spot on in the past. I compared those to genuine survivor stripes in the past. I don't have any reason to believe that the Branda ones have changed. 

Maybe by "early" they mean cars made up to and through July 1967 and by late, they mean those cars made from August/September through December 31st 1967.

;D

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 11, 2019, 08:51:27 PM
I have not examined any of the so called early late stripes Scott Drake sells . I was unaware that Scott Drake offered a stripe for 67 Shelby. I am saying it is a crap shoot with the Scott Drake ones. You may win but more likely lose given the early late confusion. I haven't had a incentive to check the Scott Drake stripes even if I was aware of them given the 67 ones Branda sells have been spot on in the past. I compared those to genuine survivor stripes in the past. I don't have any reason to believe that the Branda ones have changed. 

Nothing against SD - but I too would get the Branda offerings for '67 GT350 or GT500.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tonys_shelby

Ok that's great information thanks. I'll go with Branda

shelbydoug

The SD page says that there is a "minor" difference with the fender portion of the stripe. I'd like to know what that is exactly.

They are showing a Shelby Licensed sticker with them.

In looking on their web page I happened to notice their offerings of both the 14" and 15" ten spokes.
Both are listed as being clear coated. No other information is stated such as having the cast in spacers or the original casting id's. Maybe here is another variety that should be added to the list?

On Forum 1.1, I was called out for selling 68 dynamite sticks on ebay. Scott personally joined in the feeding frenzy claiming among other things, that he has millions of dollars invested in his highly accurate reproductions and his were exact. Good for you Scott. Much of your reproduction is really great.

I do give him credit for his efforts BUT this is a guy that after selling something like power steering pump paint for like 20 years it is STILL wrong, not even close. His tech guy said something like, "oh yea, we're still working on that one."

So, if he wants to debate his 100% accuracy on this stuff he should avoid that confrontation since he is the one that is going to be embarrassed by his lack of accuracy on many an item by item basis. He can be highly accurate but not always and he will get some dents in his shining armor if he wants to debate it. ;)

So the point of this post by me is not to start a pissing contest but to make the comment, do your own investigation on his claims of accuracy. Sometimes he's the only one that believes that? You the purchaser will have to decide.

It MAY BE THAT the difference in the two stripes Drake is selling as early/late, is in the application of the stripe on the fender. On the '67 there is no center stripe shown between the logo and the door side of the fender. On the '68 there is.

He may have had them manufactured that way where there is a left side and a right side fender stripe. Inquire with Scott Drake and ask what the difference is.

I personally have never heard of the very late 67s having their stripes applied like the '68s but that
discussion has never come up as far as I know?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!