Author Topic: early stripe GT500 information  (Read 5087 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: early stripe GT500 information
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 07:20:46 PM »
I ran into this already and what Doug mentioned is the case. The stripe was designed to sit centered on the lower fender instead of .500 from the door jam edge to the rear.   I sent them back also because the two smaller strips were inconsistent widths. I bought from Branda and returned the Drake stripes.
                                                                                            -Keith

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »
Maybe someone will correct me, but I believe Scott Drake sold the company?

Regardless, If you are interested in authencity, relying on a person with a vested interest in making money off you, is not a good strategy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:46:01 PM by Coralsnake »

Hockeylife

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 09:57:44 PM »
Seriously, anyone selling anything has a vested interest in making money off you. Otherwise, their business would cease to exist, no?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 07:13:50 AM »
I called SD yesterday. Their explanation, not mine, is that the fender portion of the "early 67 stripe, has only two stripes instead of three".

That's their wording. Granted that they have so many products offered that there is a lacking in expertise on each specific one.

The actual explanation is highly likely what I said previously, that it has to do with the application of the stripe with no center stripe on a 67 between the logo and the edge of the fender on the door side. I suppose that was too complex and perhaps esoteric for the SD Tech guy to explain?

IF that is the case you can use the 68 stripe and just eliminate that portion of the stripe in the installation.

That as I remember also un-centers the logo on a '67?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:23:42 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 07:50:16 AM »
eriously, anyone selling anything has a vested interest in making money off you. Otherwise, their business would cease to exist, no?

My point is...you should not be relying on a single source, the seller, for your information.

Pretty sure the 1967s all used the same stripe kit
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:51:48 AM by Coralsnake »

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 10:05:40 AM »
I'm betting there is no "early" or "late" and it is a ploy to get people to start buying stripes they don't need.  I've looked at a lot of original pictures and could not tell a difference.  That's what I started asking you guys the experts.  Witch resulted in me sending the ones I got back to NPD made by SD and ordered the Branda's 

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 10:16:48 AM »
  Here is a  final point from me.  I still see "NOS" stripes occasionally on Ebay.  Nice, they're selling them because the adhesive looses it's bond.  Making the stripes useless

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
I used a NOS set last summer and they were fine.  NOS kits could be 50+ years old or less than 30 depending on when they were made.  I'm not sure when Ford discontinued selling them.  Condition can vary greatly by how they were stored, too.

Who knows, I may have been scammed.  I believe the originals were 3M vinyl and I know some of the repros are 3M as well.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
I have several NOS kits. Not using them, I will make you a deal if anyone needs 1968 stripes

The originals I have seen have printed removal installation on the paper.

Technically all 1968 GT500 stripes are S7- part numbers

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/stripes
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:48:41 AM by Coralsnake »

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »
My NOS kits are regular Mustang GT kits.  I don't remember seeing the "removal instructions".  I'll have to check the other kit I have.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »
I'm betting there is no "early" or "late" and it is a ploy to get people to start buying stripes they don't need.  I've looked at a lot of original pictures and could not tell a difference.  That's what I started asking you guys the experts.  Witch resulted in me sending the ones I got back to NPD made by SD and ordered the Branda's
Tony,that is a very safe bet. I hazard to guess the if intention is because of mis information or intentional selling strategy. Ether reason doesn't help the confidence level for other products they sell.  Regardless I have a high confidence level that there is no early late variation as it applies to this thread for 67 production Shelby stripes from the factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 12:29:10 PM »
Bob,
Along the lines of variations;
Any gold side stripes on a early black 67 showing car.
thanks,
john
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 01:44:17 PM »
Bob,
Along the lines of variations;
Any gold side stripes on a early black 67 showing car.
thanks,
john
The black cars were initially planned to be Hertz cars but the order did not materialize. I haven't seen any evidence of gold stripes in 67 . Dave M. may have more info.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »
Thank you Bob.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7