News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ignition key is difficult

Started by 6s1640, August 11, 2019, 12:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

I am working on this San Jose K-code 66 Mustang.  The car came with no keys.  I had a key made from the passenger door lock on a good chance it would fit the ignition.  The passenger door would also be less warn.  The key works great in the doors.  My intuition was correct.  The key does work in the ignition, but patients is required to find the sweet spot to get it to turn.  Any suggestions on how to make the key work easier?  Do I need to hit the edges of the key with a fine file to round them out a little?  Or have a lock smith put in new tumblers in the lock to better match the key?  Or?

Thanks

Cory

SHELB66

Sometimes a little powdered graphite lubricant sprayed into the lock will work.  I've used this on difficult home entry doors with good success.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

69mach351w

papa scoops

I would try to wear down the key a little, don't replace the originals. he repops are cheap junk! even the best. just went thru that, luckily, I found my original keys and change it all back. scoops.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on August 11, 2019, 12:27:56 PM
Hi all,

I am working on this San Jose K-code 66 Mustang.  The car came with no keys.  I had a key made from the passenger door lock on a good chance it would fit the ignition.  The passenger door would also be less warn.  The key works great in the doors.  My intuition was correct.  The key does work in the ignition, but patients is required to find the sweet spot to get it to turn.  Any suggestions on how to make the key work easier?  Do I need to hit the edges of the key with a fine file to round them out a little?  Or have a lock smith put in new tumblers in the lock to better match the key?  Or?

Thanks

Cory
Try going over the edges of the key cuts with a wire wheel . That is what the locksmith does to smooth down the sharp edges after cutting a key.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69mach351w

Quote from: papa scoops on August 11, 2019, 02:28:32 PM
I would try to wear down the key a little, don't replace the originals. he repops are cheap junk! even the best. just went thru that, luckily, I found my original keys and change it all back. scoops.
scoops, he didn't mention in his post that the keys were original.

He said he had a key made from the door lock.

By all means, if it is an original key blank that you used, work with it.

KR Convertible

+1 on the graphite.  If that doesn't work, pop the lock cylinder out and you can see the tops of the tumblers.  They should all be at the same height with the key in.  If not, you can file the key or the top of the tumbler.

6s1640

Hi all,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I did take the ignition lock and key to the lock smith that made the key.  I asked him about the graphite and he quickly recommend against it.  He took a look at the lock and concluded the tumblers were excessively warn.  He disassembly the lock to replaced them, matching the key and now the lock and key work great and also the key in the original door lock.

Take care

Cory

KR Convertible

Cory,  did he give a recommendation on lube?  There was a locksmith that I used to talk to that turned me on to the graphite back in the 80s.  He told me that it would work better than any liquid lube and not hold the dirt and dust like oil does.  Thanks.

1967 eight barrel

Graphite is the normal product to use, but it winds up on your hands and clothes. I got all over my uniform not paying attention. The wire wheel idea is what often works best on new cut keys. My suggestion is to do what I did. Take the keys in. All your locks and have them put new pins in the locks and clean them up and lubricate them. It'll cost you more than a Chinesium set from Drake by about twice but it's the long term fix. They'll also replace the stainless covers so it's a win-win.
I bought the Drake set and found out that the original Ford keys will NOT work in the door, but do in the ignition.

-Keith

papa scoops

I to got new drake lock kit, took out of pack, threw right into garbage pile (like most repop junk) had original re cut (NOT GROUND) work great. phred

1967 eight barrel

The door locks are the worst. The levers come off and drop in the door because the E-clips were so soft that the deformed and came off. I understand they have fixed the issue but not the ignition/door key problem.

-Keith