Author Topic: Team Shelby Monterey Experience - Anyone Going?  (Read 3159 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Team Shelby Monterey Experience - Anyone Going?
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
I'll be in Monterey Thursday through Saturday of this week (my first trip to Monterey during car week - I can't wait!). 

I wanted to see if anyone else will be in the area, and I'm especially interested to see if anyone is taking part in the Team Shelby Monterey Experience.  I received an email about a week back about this event.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend all the events.  Instead, I'll only be there for all of Thursday's activities.

One thing I was not aware of (happens all the time  ;)) is that Thursday night will include a movie screening of the new documentary called "Shelby American"; which is produced by Adam Corolla and Nate Adams about Carroll Shelby's life.  Has anyone else heard about this documentary?

Thanks!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Re: Team Shelby Monterey Experience - Anyone Going?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:36:13 PM »
I just arrived back home here in California day before yesterday. I'll be in Carmel tomorrow on ocean Ave then in the Monterey area all week. I'll be at Laguna on Saturday.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »
Here’s a link to an article about the same two producers as “Shelby American”. I didn’t know they had produced other cool documentaries.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/10/10/nate-adams-in-his-own-words
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 12:20:57 AM »
Here's a few pics from this afternoon on Ocean Ave in Carmel.

Cheers
~Earl J

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:57:40 AM »
Here's a few pics from this afternoon on Ocean Ave in Carmel.

Cheers
~Earl J

Thanks for the pics. Wish I could have been there!
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »
Sorry for hi jacking your post. I'll start a new thread with pics of Car week here in Monterey.

Cheers
~E

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
No worries!  You didn't high jack the thread.  This is all good stuff!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

cali_kr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 08:24:19 PM »
I'll be in Monterey Thursday through Saturday of this week (my first trip to Monterey during car week - I can't wait!). 

I wanted to see if anyone else will be in the area, and I'm especially interested to see if anyone is taking part in the Team Shelby Monterey Experience.  I received an email about a week back about this event.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend all the events.  Instead, I'll only be there for all of Thursday's activities.

One thing I was not aware of (happens all the time  ;)) is that Thursday night will include a movie screening of the new documentary called "Shelby American"; which is produced by Adam Corolla and Nate Adams about Carroll Shelby's life.  Has anyone else heard about this documentary?

My dance card was already set before this package was announced, so I will only be at Russo Thursday afternoon and breakfast on Friday at the Spanish Inn.

First time I met Nate Adams was at a private viewing at Apple in Cupertino a few years ago for their movie, The 24 Hour War.

He was at the Shelby Bash last year, and we spoke about this film.

Sadly I won't be able to watch the movie. Spoiler alert, they have interviews with both Phil Remington and Dan Gurney in it!!!!

Motor on!
SAAC National member since 1981
SAAC NorCal member since 1985 (past editor, DRIVEN) past Board Member
Team Shelby Charter member & State Director

cali_kr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
Sorry for hi jacking your post. I'll start a new thread with pics of Car week here in Monterey.

Cheers
~E

Speaking of hi-jacking, hows it going my favorite OAG?
SAAC National member since 1981
SAAC NorCal member since 1985 (past editor, DRIVEN) past Board Member
Team Shelby Charter member & State Director

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 08:35:10 PM »

My dance card was already set before this package was announced, so I will only be at Russo Thursday afternoon and breakfast on Friday at the Spanish Inn.

First time I met Nate Adams was at a private viewing at Apple in Cupertino a few years ago for their movie, The 24 Hour War.

He was at the Shelby Bash last year, and we spoke about this film.

Sadly I won't be able to watch the movie. Spoiler alert, they have interviews with both Phil Remington and Dan Gurney in it!!!!

Motor on!

Sorry you can't make the showing, and thanks for all the great info!  I can't wait to see this, especially since I'm such a documentary nerd.   ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »

Cheers
~E

Speaking of hi-jacking, hows it going my favorite OAG?

Hey TD,

I'm here in town (Carmel) I think you have my cell. It's the same one. I'll be at Laguna on Saturday. I'll chase you down.

OAG....LOL

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 12:38:49 AM »
Hey TD,

Oh by the way Gordon McCall's event at the Quail on Friday tickets are only $2500.00 each for the day (all of 6 hours). Just an FYI.

~E

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »
Talk about an AWESOME experience!

Today, I met a fellow Carryover owner (6S219) and watched him race Laguna Seca. BTW - what a car and driver!

Now, I’m waiting in the theater for the new documentary about Carroll Shelby. So far, I’ve seen Jim Marietta, and Peter Brock is soon to show.

Can’t wait to see the show! 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 11:42:41 PM »
Really great documentary! It’s supposed to be released in October.

Tremendous focus on Shelby’s personal racing career, as well as the Cobra/Daytona/GT40 racing. However, there was almost no mention of the GT350s/GT500s - even GT350 racing history was not covered. Selfishly, I would have loved to have seen focus on this area. Also, no mention of the 68-70 Shelbys. They did extend through Shelby’s adventures after LAX - all the way up to his passing.

Well worth a watch. 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 06:18:10 PM »
Tremendous focus on Shelby’s personal racing career, as well as the Cobra/Daytona/GT40 racing. However, there was almost no mention of the GT350s/GT500s - even GT350 racing history was not covered. Selfishly, I would have loved to have seen focus on this area. Also, no mention of the 68-70 Shelbys. They did extend through Shelby’s adventures after LAX - all the way up to his passing.
I wonder which true story they used the ones I heard in the late 60s & 70s from the mouths of those who were there or the ones told as the legend was growing in the 90s forward. The GT350 racing was a big deal it was mom's grocery getter Mustang beats up on Chevy's race developed sports car. 68-70 Shelbys were a Ford deal. If you have been following some of the threads about Ford's 5 year 1962 loan to CS and their basically taking SA production, trademarks, etc near the end of the 67 run and CS becoming one of Ford's race teams after that. How much did they get into the 65 World Championship? At the end of 64 Ford demanded CS focus on the GT40 program and the Coupes were run by Alan Mann Racing when they won the Championship. Yes SA developed and sorted but run by the Brits in 65. Bondo has a great story of how Mann wanted to have his drivers win and was always ticked off because Bob wouldn't let them past.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless