Author Topic: You have to laugh.....  (Read 2235 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
You have to laugh.....
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:29:14 AM »
People never cease to amaze and are sometimes amusing. 

I contacted a guy advertising a Shelby for sale, he wouldn't provide me his phone number (understandable in this day of Spam and Spoof calls) so I sent him mine and he called me and that is where the fun began.  He told me his car was the most original Shelby ever with only the tires being changed and had been in his family since day 1.  I asked about its history he said I'm not sharing that, I said okay, what is the Shelby number I have a registry and can at least see what it is and share it with you, he said, not going to provide that, so I said, what color is it, he said, not going to tell you that either.  Dare I ask for pictures.... LOL, not going to provide that either.  At the end of call I felt I was making some deal with the Mexican drug cartel LOL... I get being careful but wow this was a little over the top.  He wanted me to trust him, bring cash, look at the car, pay and leave with the car.  I'm sure you guys have similar stories that have left you shaking your head and laughing :-)
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: You have to laugh.....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:52:18 AM »
Greg, you might have just missed out on Jim Morrison's GT500.   :o

But seriously, that guy needs a referral to a good psychiatrist.  Stay far away.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
I'm sure a bunch of us could write a comedy book with stories from some of the interesting sellers we have run into!
Yesterday I ran into someone advertising a 67 Fastback for sale for $16500.  However, the ad showed pics of a 68 coupe needed full resto and has been out to pasture for awhile.
The exchange of text messages was comical for sure!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »
Up our way there was a KR in a garage, and for years nobody went up to the house to ask about it, years later one guy did and bought himself a nice KR for 3500.....food for thought.
RARE  Signature Delete

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
Amazing.  Some people.
Nothing beats a classic!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
Went to look at a 67 350 in the early 80s...Many incorrect parts but the price was right...Thought we had a deal..Then I mentioned that I was going to use it as a driver..Deal off ,at any price...He thought it should be in a museum or something...whatever... ::)

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »

Would this person happen to be in Florida? There's someone down here that has a '68 GT500 and they think it's VERY special. They want a suitcase full of cash only! They refused to share the Shelby number, but did give me the VIN. A little looking in the registry and I found that it's #790 Black/saddle.

People never cease to amaze and are sometimes amusing. 

I contacted a guy advertising a Shelby for sale, he wouldn't provide me his phone number (understandable in this day of Spam and Spoof calls) so I sent him mine and he called me and that is where the fun began.  He told me his car was the most original Shelby ever with only the tires being changed and had been in his family since day 1.  I asked about its history he said I'm not sharing that, I said okay, what is the Shelby number I have a registry and can at least see what it is and share it with you, he said, not going to provide that, so I said, what color is it, he said, not going to tell you that either.  Dare I ask for pictures.... LOL, not going to provide that either.  At the end of call I felt I was making some deal with the Mexican drug cartel LOL... I get being careful but wow this was a little over the top.  He wanted me to trust him, bring cash, look at the car, pay and leave with the car.  I'm sure you guys have similar stories that have left you shaking your head and laughing :-)
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:27:01 PM »
Actually, I just remembered:  several  months back, I came across a 66 Hertz Car on Craigslist in the Phoenix area.  I talked to the owner about the car, and he wouldn't share anything.  In fact, he said, "You'll have to come see it if you want to know anything about it". 

Needless to say, I never made the flight.  Nothing like spending money on a plane ticket and such to find out that the car isn't real or is missing a ton of stuff.  ::)
Nothing beats a classic!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 02:35:57 PM »
The car is in CA...
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 07:48:29 AM »
Went to look at a 67 350 in the early 80s...Many incorrect parts but the price was right...Thought we had a deal..Then I mentioned that I was going to use it as a driver..Deal off ,at any price...He thought it should be in a museum or something...whatever... ::)

Best to say as little as possible, I find Shelby owners kind of crazy. I know I have a few!
RARE  Signature Delete

OldMil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 10:25:24 AM »
If you are not interested, maybe you could share the contact and someone in the area would be willing to see this car in person...Maybe a group member will come away with a nice car.