Author Topic: 1968 Mustang GT #559 driven by Steve McQueen Bullit to be auctioned 2020 Mecum  (Read 9274 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Interesting.

I wonder what this will do (if anything) for the second car that’s currently being restored.

a true collector would not be interested in the second car, as what was found was the bare bones....

now to the uniformed with cash, it would be a great trophy to brag to their friends...look I have the bullit car....

car 1 is valuable

car 2 to me is just a car  that someone assembled with reproduction parts...I will label this as the dynacorn bullit # 2....
While I know nothing of the build many of the original (rusted) parts that came off of car #2 were brought for Kevin Marti to see when he verified the car. A real interesting story that Kevin told me and a couple of other guys 2 years ago.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
From the one photo I saw of the second Bullitt car, the chassis still looked intact which I consider to be the soul of the car. As I have analogized in the past, much like a soldier that loses a limb in war, he is still that same man and is no less a man for it.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
The  #2 Bullit car is being put back together with the correct date coded parts with a certain date ... I know personally one of the guys that is helping with car  .Here in S California it is being a tough task to do this correct to find  the parts.
Just my 0.02 cents

Not that difficult if one can locate a parts car from the same assembly plant and time period.  For such a significant car, a $5-15k+ investment in a nice parts coupe or even a fastback will pay off in the long run.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I hope Ford gets it. The car belongs in a museum. When I drove over 300 miles in the dead of winter to see it in Traverse City on display the doors were locked to Hagerty's despite a call to Hagerty's the day before that it was open to the public on Saturday. They let me in with other Hagerty employees who streamed in a side door. I saw that it bore a license plate designating the car on the list of Historic US pieces. Therefore, museum would be the best thing for it.
But...this is a free market so have at it privateers.

Richard E.

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I thought I read that Ford wanted it?

Could the price have been too high?

if they really want it, they now can bid on it
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:37:46 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
From the one photo I saw of the second Bullitt car, the chassis still looked intact which I consider to be the soul of the car. As I have analogized in the past, much like a soldier that loses a limb in war, he is still that same man and is no less a man for it.

not disputing your soldier theory and our utmost respect to all who participated and sacrificed

we to viewed what was left of vehicle number two

even if you could replace it with day one sheet metal, correct stampings, date codes etc

it can only be that particular original car once

the question we pose is at what point does one call it a rebody ?

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Yes, good question, Tony. Like the Viking axe that has the handle replaced at some time. Is it still original? And then the head of the axe is replaced a little later on.  These are interesting and philosophical questions.  Maybe it goes to the passage of time. For example if the original handle of the axe was replaced 100 years into the Viking period (meaning that the entire axe is still about 900 years old instead of 1,000), then would a historian still consider it an original axe? Maybe the answer is yes, but if the handle was replaced yesterday then it's not so original. There is no doubt that the hero car has a higher provenance. My understanding is the wrecking yard number two car did all the heavy lifting but is essentially a "turtle in a half shell."
Maybe 500 years from now our future society might revere the number 2 car just as much as the number one because it was redone so close to the period of time of the manufacture of both cars.

As an addendum, I have heard of Cobras where the only original part left is a door handle or a door hinge. Hmmmm.
Wonder how Socrates or Nietzsche would approach the subject.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:00:49 PM by deathsled »
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Dkutz

• View Profile
I still suspect that the family really doesn't want to sell, nor would FORD let it go.  I think they will put a huge reserve on it, and it won't sell.  I think they just want to value it if it ever did sell.
And the Bid goes on....

JessC

• View Profile
Here is the AD in Los Angles Craigslist  searching for  parts for  Bulitt #2

WTD 1968 GT Mustang 390 Original 558 Bullitt parts

Looking for original drive train parts for the original 558 1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 4 speed Bullitt from the movie Bullitt.
Parts needed are for the car that was in the end race scene, the rear burn out and other scenes which Steve Mc Queen was driving in...

All date codes must be between November 15th 1967 and December 15 1967
Ex manifolds
Smog parts
Radiator
Crossmember for 4 speed
Pinion Support
Much more
Call for list

We have found many parts and some parts still needed.
Restoration in progress and 558 should be done soon.

Jim
show contact info
Call or email if you have some of the parts or have knowledge of someone that might have them
show contact info

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Yes, good question, Tony. Like the Viking axe that has the handle replaced at some time. Is it still original? And then the head of the axe is replaced a little later on.  These are interesting and philosophical questions.  Maybe it goes to the passage of time. For example if the original handle of the axe was replaced 100 years into the Viking period (meaning that the entire axe is still about 900 years old instead of 1,000), then would a historian still consider it an original axe? Maybe the answer is yes, but if the handle was replaced yesterday then it's not so original. There is no doubt that the hero car has a higher provenance. My understanding is the wrecking yard number two car did all the heavy lifting but is essentially a "turtle in a half shell."
Maybe 500 years from now our future society might revere the number 2 car just as much as the number one because it was redone so close to the period of time of the manufacture of both cars.

As an addendum, I have heard of Cobras where the only original part left is a door handle or a door hinge. Hmmmm.
Wonder how Socrates or Nietzsche would approach the subject.

in the end it wont really matter what we say or think...the bid goes on
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:54:45 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I still suspect that the family really doesn't want to sell, nor would FORD let it go.  I think they will put a huge reserve on it, and it won't sell.  I think they just want to value it if it ever did sell.
And the Bid goes on....

if the bids get lively it will be sold ! sold !  sold !

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Here is the AD in Los Angles Craigslist  searching for  parts for  Bulitt #2

WTD 1968 GT Mustang 390 Original 558 Bullitt parts

Looking for original drive train parts for the original 558 1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 4 speed Bullitt from the movie Bullitt.
Parts needed are for the car that was in the end race scene, the rear burn out and other scenes which Steve Mc Queen was driving in...

All date codes must be between November 15th 1967 and December 15 1967
Ex manifolds
Smog parts
Radiator
Crossmember for 4 speed
Pinion Support
Much more
Call for list

We have found many parts and some parts still needed.
Restoration in progress and 558 should be done soon.

Jim
show contact info
Call or email if you have some of the parts or have knowledge of someone that might have them
show contact info

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

pretty short list of parts needed...

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
There were a number of different ads posted looking for individual and body parts posted on Craig's List and in direct contacts made during that time period.

Completely different car, situation and details than the thread car.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:37:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
folks let's drop # 2 ( that didn't sound right ) and concentrate on the sale of # 1 the bullitt mustang

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Drop #2. Good one.