News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'67 350 trunk mat/underlayment

Started by Survivor, August 15, 2019, 08:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Survivor

I recall a previous thread discussing trunk mats and underlayment and whether they were one in the same or 2 separate pieces/parts etc. etc.  Anyway, I have a late production 350 outboard that was sold in Fla. and then went/spent it's entire life in Alabama.  Was parked in the '70's and remained very well preserved and untouched.  The origi. trunk mat-well, 50%, was in place.  The rubberized(?) underlayment was also in place and is 100% in tact as is the surrounding black tacky material that seems to have been sprayed in to perhaps hold in place the upper portion of the trunk mat-that is, closest to the back seat.  I mention this only b/c I'm happy to send some nice pics. to anyone who might be interested in seeing what's what.  Maybe no one's interested but I thought I'd throw it out there...  Also recall reading something about heat shields that surround the heater motor?  Well, that's in place as well if anyone needs a pic.  Apologies for my descriptions/memory sounding like amatuer hour.  Thx.

Coralsnake

Send me the pictures and I will post them with your thread

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

68blk500c

No Size

1966 shelby 2201... 1967 shelby GT500. 2063..1970 shelby GT500..3124....Randy Sizemore

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 26, 2019, 02:32:06 PM
I still cant shrink pictures

Send them my way and I'll host and resize them if you like Pete.

Looks like the OP's trunk got the black rattle can treatment
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

Got it! Great pictures.

The trunk underlayment looks original, but I agree it looks like some one was spraying either glue or under coating inside the trunk.

I guess we should ask the exterior color of the trunk?

Coralsnake

Here is a very good replacement. It will of course take a while to take the form of your gas tank.

https://www.deadnutson.com/1969-standard-trunk-gas-tank-underlayment/

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 26, 2019, 02:39:14 PM
Got it! Great pictures.

The trunk underlayment looks original, but I agree it looks like some one was spraying either glue or under coating inside the trunk.

I guess we should ask the exterior color of the trunk?

Much better now

Got the black rattle can in at least some areas, from the fact that there is black paint on the rear carpet panel chrome trim, wire and on the back side of the interior panels that would have originally not been painted. More info in any case is always better
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Survivor

Thanks for posting-there are some additional pics. that I sent to Pete if anyone is interested.  Exterior is now black but orig. lime.  Here's my theory.  Car was bought new in Cocoa Fla.  Orig. buyer did not like the factory lime but did not want to lose the sale-so, he bought the car and had the dealer re-paint it.  Why the dealer-well, the quality of the work is superior and no where close to what you'd get in '67 from the local mom and pop shop imo.  Car was also undercoated-again, likely at the dealer.  We know this from the 6 or 8 drilled holes around the car-that were then professionally sealed off with what appears to be some sort of manufactured black cap.  Just spit balling but it adds up to me and may explain the black sealer/glue inside the trunk area.  As previously noted, the car then went to Alabama where it stayed until I bought it 3 months ago from a good friend.  Sat in this guys barn/lean to from '85 on or so I assume from the Al plate we have last dated '85.  Car has never been apart, original panels, glass, interior etc.  I can send along some pics. of any other areas of the car if anyone is interested.  Thx.