Author Topic: R Model gas tank for sale  (Read 3903 times)

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Re: R Model gas tank for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:36:17 AM »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »
  Cobra Automitive ( the seller) would not mis represent something like this. It is also important to remember that these tanks were also in Shelby built '66 Group II notchbacks and '67-68 Trans Am cars besides being sold out of the Cobra/Shelby catalogs. IMHO it is a genuine SAI tank.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »
Randy is correct about Curt Vogt/Cobra Automotive for sure.

~E

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »
I should buy it and set up a shrine around the R Model tank for purposes of worshipping the petroleum God.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:10:13 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »
I had one that was in a Mustang Don Pike raced. It wasn't a SA car but had a lot of SA parts/support. I sold it in the late 80s for $1,000.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
Good luck trying to fix that one. It has been crunched and creased but good.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 05:32:25 PM »
Bidding now at $760.00 with several days left.  Someone will get themselves quite an artifact.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »
You can often pop those dents out with air pressure. Of course you could also blow yourself up while attempting it but no pain, no gain.

I think I recall the repops of 10 or so years ago being very close to the originals including the right bubble?

I'm not sure that tank is still allowed for racing without the internal foam? Why would anyone want 32 gallons for a 20 minute race? It makes quite a Molotov Cocktale?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 01:24:54 PM »
I hope it gets mated up with an original R Model or Trans Am car from the period.  (Or used as an article of automotive worship...yes, I know, I have a screw loose.  I just go with it these days instead of fighting it).

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »
You can often pop those dents out with air pressure. Of course you could also blow yourself up while attempting it but no pain, no gain.

I think I recall the repops of 10 or so years ago being very close to the originals including the right bubble?

I'm not sure that tank is still allowed for racing without the internal foam? Why would anyone want 32 gallons for a 20 minute race? It makes quite a Molotov Cocktale?
Some larger dents can be pushed out with air pressure but typically not small dings or where there is a any kind of a crease. You are never going to make that one look even close to un dented. I have tried to save a few and been around others who have saved some.  I am not aware of any racing body that allows those tanks in competitive events . I know of some guys who have disguised fuel cells inside  of the R tanks to make them legal. A unmodified R tank would be more for open track cars events , restoring and or showing a car to vintage specs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
Bidding holding steady at $760.00. Hopefully the tank didn't come off of a cursed R Model like 5R529. Remember what happened to the drivers who used James Dean's parted out 550 Spyder. If you can believe the legends.
https://jalopnik.com/the-curse-of-james-deans-little-bastard-5113390

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 05:45:15 PM »
Does anybody sell these new? I'm building a tribute car so I certainly don't need an original but I DO need a gas tank.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 05:53:26 PM »
Does anybody sell these new? I'm building a tribute car so I certainly don't need an original but I DO need a gas tank.
Well if you find one new it will most likely be north a good bit of the 760.00 one on ebay. They are a labor intensive to build plus it is hard to find anyone that wants to weld on gas tanks even new ones that never have had fuel in them.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 07:46:46 PM »

Well, should you feel you'd like to build an original R Model tank (aka Long Range fuel tank) based on a copy of the original Blueprints, I probably still have a few copies (I sold several on the SAAC forum 1.0 about 10 years ago to Jerry in Germany, Michael Holmes RIP of Racing Devision to name a few).
I'm currently home in Ca but will be returning to the NY home next week. I'll post a photo when I get back there and you can decide from there.

Cheers,
~Earl J