News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Bullit Mustangs

Started by Cobrask8, August 16, 2019, 12:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrask8

Seeing all the hype about the car going on the block at Mecum in 2020, very cool.

My knowledge is that:
2 Cars used in making the movie, a 289 and a 390
Once supposedly crushed, too badly damaged, one disappeared. Many rumors.

Now, we have this car from Mexico with it's documentation, all good. What about the car in NJ, supposedly also the real deal?

I'm just curious on what is the facts on the cars surfacing. Which car is which engine, are both the movie cars, what are the real facts?

Searching on the internet has many stories, many affirmations, more. Just looking to get everything straight.

Bill

Quote from: Cobrask8 on August 16, 2019, 12:26:26 PM
What about the car in NJ, supposedly also the real deal?

Dan,

The car from NJ is known to have been in a few of the early 80's Mustang shows in Morris county areas. You might want to check some of your old Polaroids, as you just might have a few shots of that specific car.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

J_Speegle

Think your have the northeastern and the junk yard car confused and/or reversed
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Tired Sheep

I think the his5ory and auth3ntication of the Mexico car is sketchy at best

carlite65

i guess that means you are doubting kevin marti's authentication of both cars. nothing sketchy at all.

papa scoops

I think there was a third car also, not in the same group, and poss the 289 car. after the movie ran, there was an add in the Seattle Times, and i'm sure other papers, in the movie section to "win steve mcqueens personal mustang" not sure of the details but it was a drawing or something. there was also a good article in car and driver (?) about the making of the movie. phred

FL SAAC

Car 559 the original bullitt driven by McQueen

Car 558 bullitt stunt car found in Mexico

Mustang GT #559, which is in original condition,  the one S McQueen drove,  will be at an event in Kissimmee, Florida in January 2020. According to Mecum auction house, the car was one of two Mustangs used in the movie and was the one McQueen drove in the car chase scene, one of the most famous in movie history
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

Personally, I do doubt Kevin's authentication of one car.

I am not going to rip Kevin. He is a friend. That doesn't mean we cant disagree.

There were dozens of pictures posted on the forums when the Mexico car was found. Many of them would lead a knowledgeable 1968 person to believe something was not right.

The fact that the owners are soliciting date coded sheet metal/ panels to "restore" the car supports that supposition.

FL SAAC

+ 1

the craftsmen crossing all the Ts and dotting all I's on car #2

when do we call it a rebody even if we use 99% new old stock...

you know that v.i.n. recently on ebay for that 65 or 66 gt350 at $10,000 doesnt look that bad after all...

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 16, 2019, 02:33:16 PM

I am not going to rip Kevin. He is a friend. That doesn't mean we cant disagree.

There were dozens of pictures posted on the forums when the Mexico car was found. Many of them would lead a knowledgeable 1968 person to believe something was not right.

The fact that the owners are soliciting date coded sheet metal/ panels to "restore" the car supports that supposition.

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

I must agree on the Mexico car. There was a lot of sheetmetal replaced and restoration well underway before it was authenticated. The NJ car is the real deal. It was the hero car and therefore not destroyed by the stunts.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

we think car # 1 is the only true four wheel ford prop left from the set...anything else is a facsimile

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 16, 2019, 03:02:11 PM

I must agree on the Mexico car. There was a lot of sheetmetal replaced and restoration well underway before it was authenticated. The NJ car is the real deal. It was the hero car and therefore not destroyed by the stunts.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Coralsnake

Everyone has a different tolerance level. I understand that. Each person has to make their own determination as to what is good enough for them.

Kevin's identification of the VIN was correct in my opinion.

Its been awhile since I reviewed the pictures, but I recall several of the photos did not match the story of the car posted online.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 16, 2019, 03:56:49 PM
Everyone has a different tolerance level. I understand that. Each person has to make their own determination as to what is good enough for them.

Kevin's identification of the VIN was correct in my opinion.

Its been awhile since I reviewed the pictures, but I recall several of the photos did not match the story of the car posted online.
So are you saying that Kevin's identification of the VIN or vin numbers was correct in your opinion but the authentication of the car itself is however still debatable?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Hope the family gets as much as they can for the original Bullitt mustang

BREAKING: Mecum Unveils Bullitt Mustang Hero Car to be Auctioned at Kissimmee 2020.

The 1968 Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen in classic film "Bullitt" will cross the block during the World's Largest Collector Car Auction.

Click the link to read the full press release: http://bit.ly/2KIuvb8

I have all UNGOLD cars

Coralsnake

So are you saying that Kevin's identification of the VIN or vin numbers was correct in your opinion but the authentication of the car itself is however still debatable?

I certainly would not debate it in open forum   ???

Yes, Kevin's authentication of the VINs is correct in my opinion. He is the one resource that is outstanding in that area and certainly he has the ability to do this.

I have intentionally made my passion for the hobby very focused over the last 35 years.

Let me make it clear I am not accusing anyone of anything.

It is my opinion, there are several, significant items in the photos/videos posted online that do not represent how the car should have been built at Ford assembly. Now maybe there is a perfectly logical explanation for them?

Added: My comments in this thread are exclusively related to the car found in Mexico.