News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Bullitt car # 559 the one Steve McQueen rode and wanted to repurchase

Started by FL SAAC, August 17, 2019, 09:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

this is the real deal, not perfect but has most of it's original components

this one will be auctioned off by Mecum in  Florida on January 2020

Mecum Unveils Bullitt Mustang Hero Car to be Auctioned at Kissimmee 2020 | News
https://www.mecum.com/news/2019/08/14/mecum-unveils-bullitt-mustang-hero-car-to-be-auctioned-at-kissimmee-2020/2646/
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Daddisgrl

I read that McQueen tried to buy it many years ago and that the owner still has the letter from McQueen. Obviously he refused to sell it to him.

I could have sworn there was a thread talking about the 2 cars used that was lost when the board went down.

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

yes there was a thread going previously and had some nice pictures on it also

Quote from: Daddisgrl on August 17, 2019, 10:29:02 AM
I read that McQueen tried to buy it many years ago and that the owner still has the letter from McQueen. Obviously he refused to sell it to him.

I could have sworn there was a thread talking about the 2 cars used that was lost when the board went down.

I have all UNGOLD cars

deathsled

When I saw this car in Traverse City at the Hagerty main office I caught a very strange vibe coming from it. A bit of sadness associated with it. Nice car though. Beautiful historic car!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

honker

I think this was on forum 1 ?  I have this noted as Bullitt Mustang, aprox.'73, don't know if this is 558 or 559 ? or neither ??

Mike

Richstang

If I recall the stories told correctly, the studio had the cars repaired and repainted prior to selling them.
Any scratches or patina might not be authentic from the movie, just age.

'73 is a bit early for a tribute/clone, but certainly not out of the possibilities.
I'm not saying it isn't one of the two originals either.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

FL SAAC

Quote from: honker on August 17, 2019, 01:38:13 PM
I think this was on forum 1 ?  I have this noted as Bullitt Mustang, aprox.'73, don't know if this is 558 or 559 ? or neither ??

Mike

that is 559 the survivor the one McQueen drove in the movie and is being auctioned off

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: Richstang on August 17, 2019, 01:50:40 PM

If I recall the stories told correctly, the studio had the cars repaired and repainted prior to selling them.
Any scratches or patina might not be authentic from the movie, just age.

'73 is a bit early for a tribute/clone, but certainly not out of the possibilities.
I'm not saying it isn't one of the two originals either.

here is the story:

Once production wrapped, the hero car (VIN 8R02S125559) was repaired and sold to Robert Ross, a Warner Brothers employee (later, in 1970, Ross sold this car through the pages of Hemmings Motor News).

Ross kept hold of it until 1970, when he sold it on to a New Jersey policedetective named Frank Marranca for just $6,000. The detective kept the car for four more years, before he himself sold it to Robert and Robbie Kiernan for exactly the same price.

Family's has currently in its possession

The stunt car (VIN 8R02S125558) was considered beyond repair and sold for scrap to a local junkyard, and for four-plus decades, that's where its story ended, with many believing the Mustang had been sent to the crusher.

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on August 17, 2019, 02:06:24 PM
The stunt car (VIN 8R02S125558) was considered beyond repair and sold for scrap to a local junkyard, and for four-plus decades, that's where its story ended, with many believing the Mustang had been sent to the crusher.
I'm of the opinion it was scrapped. It was pretty beat up from the jumps and breaking the lower control arm welds. A junkyard at that time would have pulled the drivetrain and straight bolt on sheetmetal. The rest would have hit the crusher and then off to Japan who was spending big money on scrap steel at the time. It's while I was in college and a friend and I would drive around buying dead cars for $15-20 and take them behind a market to pull the gas tanks and seats then off to the scrap yard where we'd make 50-75 per car.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

And this is why hope springs eternal regarding Mr. MoJoRisen' Blue Lady.

FL SAAC

Quote from: 2112 on August 17, 2019, 04:51:14 PM

And this is why hope springs eternal regarding Mr. MoJoRisen' Blue Lady.

stealing this qoute from 98 SVT

I'm of the opinion it was scrapped. It was pretty beat up from the jumps and breaking the lower control arm welds. A junkyard at that time would have pulled the drivetrain and straight bolt on sheetmetal. The rest would have hit the crusher and then off to Japan who was spending big money on scrap steel at the time. It's while I was in college and a friend and I would drive around buying dead cars for $15-20 and take them behind a market to pull the gas tanks and seats then off to the scrap yard where we'd make 50-75 per car.

this car and jimmys car are toast...we can romanticize that jimmys car is still out there, but that's very improbable or better said impossible.

but let me back up just for one second, as I stated on another post, I think someone is cooking jimmys car up for us and it will be bonafided by a master craftsman or expert...back to the real bullitt car 559

I have all UNGOLD cars