News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Trunk lock not working

Started by Rocket, August 18, 2019, 12:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket

Hi Everybody, Yesterday I went to get into the trunk of 6S550, and the key will not go  in all the way. I tried my spare key, and got the same result. I have sprayed WD-40 into the key way several times, still the key only goes in about half way. What would you suggest. How can I get into the trunk, if the problem continues. Thanks for all your suggestions. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Coralsnake

You will probably have to go in through the trap door to release the lid

Rocket

Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Sfm6sxxx

If you lay the fold down rear seat flat,  you can try and unlatch the trap door from the inside and then raise the door. 

Personally, I would just take out the rear panel of the fold down in order to raise the trapdoor.  Just remove the two screws in the front area of the panel and the two rear most screws in the chrome (oval shaped) seat back support plates.  You can then just lift up the front portion and pull the panel towards you.  You can't lift the rear straight up because the trap door is there AND because there are two spring steel pieces that are screwed to the bottom of the panel that slide under brackets on either side of the floor.  The two rear most screws go into those steel pieces and hold the back portion of the panel down.  You can then just lift the trap door

Good Luck!

6S1114

NC TRACKRAT

Those locks are pretty simple and can be picked.  If you have any small, thin picks or scribes, you can push up on the detents and perhaps dislodge whatever is blocking the key from fully entering.  I'd try that before trying to squeeze into the trunk through the trapdoor.
5S071, 6S1467

kingchief

This happened to me a few years back.  I asked the same question on the old pre-crash forum!  Short version, I had to go through the trapdoor.  Sfm6sxxx explained it well.  Takes a while but then you can access the lock and open the trunk.  I ended up replacing the lock mechanism with an replacement unit that worked well until I found an NOS unit to install.  I have attached a picture that might help.  I made it when it happened in like 2012!  Good luck!

Steve
SFM 6S406