Author Topic: Trunk lock cylinder removal  (Read 1539 times)

Rocket

• View Profile
Trunk lock cylinder removal
« on: August 19, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »
Hi Guys, I went thru the trap door, and removed the trunk lock bezel and cylinder that the key goes in. Can't figure how to get the cylinder out of the bezel. I know someone here knows how. Thanks in advance for all the help.  Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

papa scoops

• View Profile
Re: Trunk lock cylinder removal
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »
you need the key. there is a tiny pin on the cylinder that keeps it in. need to pull the pin out, using the key to pull/twist out the lock cylinder. best to leave it to a locksmith. if you are just replacing the cylinder the aftermarket repops don't work as good as oe, just have a new key made. phred

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 07:13:32 PM »
you need the key. there is a tiny pin on the cylinder that keeps it in. need to pull the pin out, using the key to pull/twist out the lock cylinder. best to leave it to a locksmith. if you are just replacing the cylinder the aftermarket repops don't work as good as oe, just have a new key made. phred

Hi Phred,  What you are describing sounds like the ignition lock with the small pin hole.  I recommend just taking the entire trunk lock to a good locksmith.  I did recently and the new trunk key works great.

Cory

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »
I took it to a locksmith, and he did not know how to get the cylinder out of the bezel. There are openings on top and bottom of bezel, but don't find any way to release the cylinder. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 01:58:24 PM »
it is like a small roll pin, located at te rear of the cylinder. top side. phred

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 07:13:12 PM »
Ordered all the parts this morning from Brant. Looking down thru the little door where the key goes in, it looked like one of the tumblers had fallen out. and down into where the key goes. I tried driving the pin down, without any luck. Finally drove the cylinder out by hammering on the shaft that comes out the back. New stuff should be here later in the week, so will have it fixed before the big bash at the Shelby museum on the 31st. Ron