News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Are 428 accesory brackets unique to the GT500

Started by mlplunkett, August 19, 2019, 08:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlplunkett

I'm looking at a 428 on ebay for my GT500 tribute and wondered if I can count on using all the accessory brackets. This motor has AC and power steering so I would have everything I need if they are the same as used in the mustangs. Seller thinks it's from a galaxie or Tbird.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183869039732?ul_noapp=true
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Krelboyne

Might be missing it, but I do not see power steering on that eBay engine listing.

Alternator brackets are typical for 1968 and newer without smog.
A/C mounting looks more like for a 'hang on' A/C system on a FE, or Ford trunk? Might could be 1966 or earlier.
Crank pulley looks like 4 sheave width, have seen that on 'hang on' A/C.

Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mlplunkett on August 19, 2019, 08:29:23 PM
I'm looking at a 428 on ebay for my GT500 tribute and wondered if I can count on using all the accessory brackets. This motor has AC and power steering so I would have everything I need if they are the same as used in the mustangs. Seller thinks it's from a galaxie or Tbird.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183869039732?ul_noapp=true
Don't count on it. Virtually every bracket is different then on a 67 GT500 from the factory. If you just wanted it to function then you could probably get that job done although some of the pullies look iffy function wise .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Scode67FB

Are you sure its actually a 428? Those pulleys and brackets look they're out of a truck. I don't see the power steering in the pics. The AC brackets are definitely "add-on" type. What accessories will you be running?

shelbydoug

You are likely to find that generic brackets and pulleys in a FE Mustang are not going to work for various reasons? I personally have never tried to do what you are contemplating.

An FE Mustang isn't as radical as say a Boss '9 is but it is along those lines. A shoehorn in many ways is an appropriate observation. It was really a chassis designed for a small block.

Some year applications are more common then others but if you wind up needing a set of '67s, 68s or '9s you may find it's a little pricey to say the least. You probably will need to commit to a matched set of one particular year so pick the least expensive, i.e., not a 67 GT500.

Anything I suppose is possible and for a limited use rather then building a dependable daily driver it may be very doable just using what is there with the engine. How the belt longevity or reliability is going to be with your mix is just going to set aside what the factory determined as optimal back then.

An FE engine in a Mustang is around 2" further forward then a small block is. You have less space to work with between the radiator and engine.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

I'm not seeing an answer.  Are the respondents saying the bracketry from an S code (390) factory installation will not work on a 428?  How so?

Bob Gaines

In reply #2 I answered the question asked in the first post . If you are asking for a answer to the description heading if the brackets are GT 500 unique then the answer is no.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Scode67FB

I would require proof that it is in fact a 428 considering it any further. He claims it's a "C scratch" block. Ask for a photo of the rear of the block where the "C scratch" would be located. Ask for a photo of the crankshaft casting ID. It should be either "1U" or "1UB." If it came out of a Galaxie or T-Bird, it would more than likely have the "A scratch" on the back. In the auction photos, the engine has a truck bellhousing bolted to it. It has a truck oil filter bracket, and like I said before, the pulleys and brackets look like they're off a truck. The heads and the intake manifold are useless to you. You don't get the carb or exhaust manifolds. You're basically buying a shortblock if it is in fact a 428. If it ISa "C scratch" 428 block with that date code, and it has a "1UB" crankshaft, and CJ rods, and is standard bore, then I'd say it could still be a decent deal. Otherwise, you could do better if you keep looking.

1967 eight barrel

The real difference is the harmonic balancer, accessory pulley and of course the unique power steering pulley. The alternators also used the dual alternator belt drive with the exception of A/C vehicles. Nothing is correct for a Shelby in that picture on EPAY.

-Keith

427heaven

I will try to help with the ...Will it fit questions. The big block engines were produced by the millions, will it fit in a 1967 on up Mustang engine compartment yes they will. Your car wont care if it is a c scratch, a scratch or no scratch. there are a few critical pieces that need to be thought out on your build, the more CORRECT you need to be is where the cost comes into play, there are a few very important thigs you need to consider when doing the install. Types of motor mounts, oil filter adapter, heads and exhaust system need to be considered as well as some FE had the alternator hung low like on the 427s some mount high, no big deal to most, but something to consider. Belts will not wear out prematurely as long as they are aligned and properly tensioned. Your engine wont care if it has a truck bellhousing on it they all interchange, a bonus here is some of the truck bellhousings can use a larger clutch set up. The more accessories you hang on the front of the engine the tighter things get. The big blocks used a very short fan spacer approximately 2 inches this will get you close to what you need. It is best to use a gt 390 cylinder head because it was designed for the tight mustang engine compartments and you can use stock exhaust GT manifolds. IF YOU DONT MIND SCOURING THE CLASSIFIEDS AND SWAP MEETS FOR HEADERS, THAT EVERYTHING FROM THE LOWLIEST 352 TO THE MIGHTY 427 WILL SLIDE RIGHT ON IN THOSE ENGINE COMPARTMENTS WAITING FOR THE FUN TO BEGIN! ;)

mlplunkett

Guess I should clarify my project. I have a 67 fastback that was a factory 289 car. I want to build a GT500 tribute that is relatively accurate (428 w/ toploader) but I'm making allowances for things like stroker internals, aluminum heads, and tube headers for the sake of performance. Beyond that I'd like to include power steering, power brakes, and AC (I'm in MS so AC is a must for anything you actually want to drive). Obviously I will never be in any concours judging situation so no need to spend a bunch of extra $ purely for originality but I want to accomplish original appearance wherever I can. I know you guys all have original cars but I simply can't afford that so the next best thing is to reproduce the driving experience and just enjoy the Shelby style. I really appreciate the expertise and passion that you guys have for these cars so any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated. Everything outside the engine compartment is pretty straightforward so I'm focusing on the hard part.
Mickey

shelbydoug

As was stated by Eight Barrel, the balancer is the key to the brackets and pulleys. It is also one of the apparent visual things that you see on the real 67 GT500. So it's a cosmetic thing too.
What that engine is already equipped with likely will work. It won't look authentic.

The 67 GT500 is a very strange duck as far as the balancer and necessary accessories. There's a bunch of nearly unique parts that go along with it.

It isn't just limited to those though. Even the thermostat housing is about as scarce as a Druid Priest in the Vatican. Then there's the fan and the fan clutch, the heater hose adapter, the 67 throttle linkage with the return bracket and spring. The C7ZX intake, the air cleaner with the right pcv hose nipple. Yikes.

A $3,000, SPEC rear housing. How about a steering wheel?

Even an original car missing parts stick out like an elephant in a bowl of M & M's!

I guess it's up to you but wearing socker socks with sandals kinda' ruins the mood for me?

I've seen "clones" for sale that were more expensive then an original car. The Devil is in the details. Pick an easier car to build is my suggestion.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mlplunkett

I appreciate the "build something easier" sentiment but I've dreamed of driving this car WAY to long to back out now. I thought Carol Shelby was a master of pulling standard Ford parts off the shelf to keep his costs down so I figured the clone/tribute routine had been done enough times that somebody out there has a list of the necessary part numbers needed to assemble the front of a 428. Probably wishful thinking. I don't expect to fool anybody into thinking I have an original so maybe I just need to know what will work rather than what it takes to duplicate the original. As an example, I'd be happy to hear what thermostat housing is the best available substitute for the Druid Priest version etc. etc.  I'm well aware that you guys are all about owning and maintaining the real thing so I'm just happy that you haven't laughed me off the forum.

1967 eight barrel

My engine is out of the car until Tuesday. Are there some pictures you would like? I can even give you the engineering numbers and what some of it came from originally it that'll help you.
                                                                                -Keith

shelbydoug

Quote from: mlplunkett on August 24, 2019, 11:14:21 PM
I appreciate the "build something easier" sentiment but I've dreamed of driving this car WAY to long to back out now. I thought Carol Shelby was a master of pulling standard Ford parts off the shelf to keep his costs down so I figured the clone/tribute routine had been done enough times that somebody out there has a list of the necessary part numbers needed to assemble the front of a 428. Probably wishful thinking. I don't expect to fool anybody into thinking I have an original so maybe I just need to know what will work rather than what it takes to duplicate the original. As an example, I'd be happy to hear what thermostat housing is the best available substitute for the Druid Priest version etc. etc.  I'm well aware that you guys are all about owning and maintaining the real thing so I'm just happy that you haven't laughed me off the forum.

Credit Shelby if you like but the '67 GT500 428 engine is a product of Ford Engineering. The outline is what I would describe as "Shelby's concept" but the details are straight out of the engineering department at Ford.

Ford's concept was that they had such a vast array of components available already produced that they had almost a limitless variety of components ready.

The issue now of the 67 GT500, for us, is that those components although in existence then, came largely from small production, obscure vehicles of a one model year production. That didn't matter much then.

Look for "production" parts that you need by date codes. You will begin to realize that what you need is relatively rare.

Sure you can still find an A scratch date coded block close enough to what you need out of a Tbird, but not a 4 speed bell from one or a balancer. Probably no such thing?

Is the balancer a 427 MR part? Sort of, until they beveled the edges to clear the front anti-sway bar, then it became unique to the car. Unsuccessfully I might add.

Is the thermostat housing the same as a 67 390 trucks? Only a '67s. Seems to be plenty of those around right? Really? Where? You know those are dated coded right?

Oh, and you're going to need the power steering pulley to match the balancer's offset. I think that was out of a 67 428 Police cruiser and they're all over the place right?

In a '67 GT500, these details are not only functional but as cosmetic as a set of stripes are to the knowledgeable.

If you are going to show your clone to a thirty year old who is going to be impressed by "your old Mustang", what would they know of the details? If you are going to show it to a bunch of 67 GT500 owners, the missing details are going to make it seem like ET dressed up in his Halloween costume?

It's not a criticism really by me. I do understand the passion involved in it, but I feel like a parent and I don't want my 5 year old to be hurt by the other little kids laughing at him...and these won't be little kids. Their harshness will be adult appropriate.

There have been others that have come through here successfully completing the same thing only to face harsh and nasty criticism.

At first everyone was friendly and helpful then when they decided it was an attempt at a counterfeit car, they turned really nasty.

Be prepared for the terms "counterfeit. fraud" being thrown at you too. Clone is not a term that the group finds endearing or accepts readily.

If you need to do it, by all means go for it. Just look out for the emotional crash after rejection. Then will it all have been worth it? Bummer.  :(

68 GT350 Lives Matter!