News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Are 428 accesory brackets unique to the GT500

Started by mlplunkett, August 19, 2019, 08:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlplunkett

67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

mlplunkett

So I've seen a couple of comments about the 428 Harmonic balancer driving the issue with other stuff on the front of the motor. I realize that if I don't have that harmonic balancer I won't have a replica of the 428 so tell me this. If my stroker kit includes an internally balanced crank which eliminates the harmonic balancer how different would the front of the motor look if I just gathered the brackets, pulleys, fan etc. for a 390 mustang with power steering and AC? Is the general layout of components similar to the 428 component layout? (Don't blast me Doug)

shelbydoug

Quote from: mlplunkett on August 27, 2019, 07:28:43 PM
So I've seen a couple of comments about the 428 Harmonic balancer driving the issue with other stuff on the front of the motor. I realize that if I don't have that harmonic balancer I won't have a replica of the 428 so tell me this. If my stroker kit includes an internally balanced crank which eliminates the harmonic balancer how different would the front of the motor look if I just gathered the brackets, pulleys, fan etc. for a 390 mustang with power steering and AC? Is the general layout of components similar to the 428 component layout? (Don't blast me Doug)

No need to blast. Think about what you just said. You are answering your own questions.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Scode67FB

The issue with the balancer that's been mentioned is about "correctness" not function. You can use any FE balancer on any FE engine. You just need to use the matching pulleys for that balancer. If you use the balancer and pulley for a 67 390GT Mustang, everything else is probably pretty common parts. The pulley on the power steering pump is different for a Shelby. You can find that used or reproduction if you want. You could also use any one of several less valuable pulleys. You're building a clone / tribute car. You're not trying to pass it off as the real thing. Also, if you're running an internally balanced stroker setup, you won't be needing the 428 flywheel or flexplate. You can use one from any 390.

shelbydoug

No disagreement with that statement at all. What I would say then is that the look of the accessories, in part because of the balancer, is unique to a '67 GT500 as are the combination of pulleys as far as Mustangs go.

This is the thing about a real 67 GT500. It's a weird duck. You're either all in or it's nothing. 
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

You are on the right track, build your dream car and enjoy it. I have built my share of Big Block Bruisers and when going to shows and driving your new found love, most people wont know or care about pullies and brackets anyway. When you mash on the loud pedal it will make up for any non original looking brackets. ;D  There are plenty on here that can help with this simple request of yours, drive it like it was intended!  ;D

1967 eight barrel

Actually, Scode. You can't if you want it to look right. The accessory pulley on the Shelby is a heavy cast iron pulley that adds the second groove for the alternator and also the power steering.  Now if you want it to look the part without spending 1,000.00 on the 66 PI/67 Shelby you can use the 427 harmonic balancer with the Iron accessory drive power pulley. It bolts to the harmonic balancer with three bolts.  You'll need a dual groove alternator drive pulley and the big dollar power steering pulley which is probably the largest and hardest to come by, the 7AB which is about 5 3/8" across.  The alternator brackets off the standard FE work fine. I would go with the upright alternator mounting as the low slung units were used with smog. The 427 damper does NOT have timing numbers on it, just a single groove. You'll need the 427 timing pointer which has the degree information or a timing tape attached. The pointer for the 428 PI is unique as well.
                                                                                                     -Keith

Scode67FB

You're right. I guess it really comes down to how "right" he wants it to look. My point is he knows its a clone. It doesn't have a Shelby VIN. I doubt it will have original Shelby fiberglass parts. It won't have a 428PI motor. Everyone who knows Shelbys will know its a clone. Those who don't know Shelbys won't know the difference. He's not trying to pass it off as a real Shelby. Why go to the time and expense trying to locate those unique parts that only belong on a Shelby. Just get the parts that functionally suit your needs and reasonably look correct. Build it. Drive it. Have fun.

427heaven

By the time you hang the power steering pump- bracket... AC unit- bracket... idler pulley... fan... fan shroud... radiator hoses... heater core hoses... all you see is stuff! No ONE at any car gatherings will say OHH that looks like SHI- . What you WILL get are many compliments for tackling an install that most people would not attempt to do. It looks great, and who doesn't like the thought of running the  most powerful engine of its time, right? There are many ways to go about this build. Go forward, have fun, and mostly, enjoy your car and all the things you experience with it. Many people are like sheep, they need people to tell them how to live there lives, and are so worried about lifes little things-they miss the BIG SHOW. So if owning and driving a vintage performance car is your goal we can get you there- I Promise you !

roddster

And I just missed the one for sale today in the forum here....boohooo................

1967 eight barrel

Perhaps my issue is I am by nature a detail person. Perhaps it's because I'm a  commercial pilot and former LE I analyze just about everything. Even when people speak to me I note their demeanor.
Things like the harmonic balancer, power steering pulley, alternator pulley and crank pulley I notice right out of the gate. Not even the rare FE mustangs that wound up with the dual alternator belt drive use the same pulleys as a 1967 Shelby.  The 390 cars use a 6AA power steering pulley. They are over an inch smaller across in comparison with the 7AB. 
Lacking the C7ZX intake, power steering cooler on the core support are immediately noticeable to those who own a '67 Shelby. The Eleanor cars are the ones I have learned to hate. I HATE it when people call my Shelby an Eleanor.

-Keith

mlplunkett

I'm with you on the Eleanor issue. I hate it when someone on TV is describing the significance of Carol Shelby and his cars and then they show you an Eleanor as an example. Anyway, I really appreciate all the input and the passion for these cars. The car will have a 428 with the proper 2x4 intake and I'll get Drew to build a set of carbs. All my fiberglass parts have come from Tony Branda and I got a trial run on the paint job when I finished building my 67 Donzi (notice the 67 Shelby hood scoop) so I hope anyone who sees the finished product will appreciate the effort in spite of the missing high dollar original parts.

Side-Oilers

Very cool boat. I haven't seen an early Donzi for a really long time.

Nice touch on the hood scoop!

What's the engine?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

mlplunkett

It's the Holman Moody 289 that was available as an upgrade from the 289 interceptor. I think the PO replaced the original block with a fresh 302 a couple years before I bought it. Here's a shot just before I got the top back on the hull.

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model