News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What motor oil do you use in your Shelby

Started by deathsled, February 17, 2018, 09:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I personally use a synthetic blend of Motorcraft 10W30.  I presently have a 302 roller rocker in the old gal made to look vintage while the original 289 slumbers in my closet.  Yes, my closet.  I mean hey, even Chopin had his heart cut out and preserved in a jar of brandy and kept in the wall of a church (to this day) so why not a 289 engine which in essence is the heart of an automobile.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Don Johnston

TOBKOB

Quotewhile the original 289 slumbers in my closet.  Yes, my closet.
The engine for my '69 350 sat in a spare bedroom for 3 or 4 years until I moved in 1978 and then sat in an enclosed back porch for a few more years. It now has a permanent residence in #2060 since 2015.  ;D

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

greekz

Valvoline 20/50 Racing Oil for 28 years.  Have not had any engine problems.  Change oil and filter once a year.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bigfoot

Valvoline VR1 in the big block
Mobil 1 in small block
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

6s1640

If you have a flat tappet cam, it better have Zn[S2P(OR)2]2 or zinc dialkyldithiophosphates, also known as ZDDP.    I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 Motor Oil.

Do not use a synthetic or a blend with a flat tappet cam without Zinc protection.   If you do, get it out now.   If the engine has a roller cam and rocker (both), the synthetic is fine without Zinc protection.

Best of luck

Cory

Greg

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

s2ms

Valvoline 10W-30 VR1. Change oil & filter once/year and send a sample to Blackstone for analysis.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Greg

I also cut the filter open after I change the oil to see if there is any metal in it.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

deathsled

Quote from: 6s1640 on February 17, 2018, 10:04:27 PM
If you have a flat tappet cam, it better have Zn[S2P(OR)2]2 or zinc dialkyldithiophosphates, also known as ZDDP.    I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 Motor Oil.

Do not use a synthetic or a blend with a flat tappet cam.   If you do, get it out now.   If the engine has a roller cam and rocker (both), the synthetic is fine.

Best of luck

Cory

Roller on all accounts, but good information to know.  Thank you very much!

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Joe Gibbs Racing 20W 50 Full synthetic

For Break-in; Joe Gibbs Break-in oil. (Dino oil)

6s1640

It appears the Joe Gibbs Racing motor oil comes with Zinc. Nice.

Cory

papa scoops

66 350 has used Valvoline racing every 2k, since new, 68 uses Castrol gtx since 2nd oil change, every 2k. both get motorcraft fl1 racing filters. all of my oil is cases of old school . phred

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

VR1, Valvoline Racing 20w50

I do not go by mileage since my mileage may vary season to season, so I just replace it once a year.