Author Topic: Isky or crane fe adjustable rockers  (Read 3270 times)

V8Dave

• View Profile
Isky or crane fe adjustable rockers
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:13:50 PM »
Hello everyone.
I have a lot of respect for the knowledge and wisdom on this forum and I am after some words of wisdom regarding adjustable rockers for a Ford fe engine soI hope I have posted this question in the right place on the forum.
I am currently building a 445 fe stroker engine for in a 67 gt500 and shelving the original engine so that the original motor is safe and if the stroker motor should go bank while having fun the original motor is safe.
The idea behind the engine is to go slightly better than a factory motor for example stroker motor equals more cubic 445 vs 428 inches,forged crank shaft instead of cast, aluminium cylinder heads instead of cast iron and so on, all the while trying to make it look like a original 67 500 motor as best as possible.(keeping original intake manifold, rocker covers ,air cleaner, pulleys ,accessory brackets)
I have a question regarding rockers I know from the factory I believe the rockers were no adjustable shaft mounted and again following the theme I thought I would upgrade to adjustable.
I wasn’t sure if roller rockers like the shelby engine co roller rockers would fit under the original 67 500 rocker covers so I figured well what about crane or isky versions of the factory adjustable rockers which I believe are 1.76.1 ratio.
Does anyone have any information or advice regarding what is best to use? Roller or factory adjustable and what experiences people have had with different brands Or any other words of wisdom. I appreciate the kind words or any advice anyone can give me from there experiences in life.
Thank you all once again for your help.
Have a nice day
Dave :)

OldMil

• View Profile
Re: Isky or crane fe adjustable rockers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:10:05 AM »
You can also get a lot of good build advise from those that have done it on the FE Forum.  Good luck!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 11:40:29 AM »
  Dave virtually any rocker out there will fit under '67 GT500 valve covers. Many use factory adjustables ( I do) and others use aftermarket aluminum versions. One item I strongly recommend is called an end support stand. It is a U shaped aluminum part which replaces the rocker stands on the end positions. The U shape captures the normally unsupported end rocker and stops rocker shaft breakage at that point. A company called Precision Oil Pumps makes a very fine set of them. Some of the more expensive  aftermarket rocker systems include them as a bonus. On a street performance engine buying "the most expensive" parts doesn't benefit you. On a "race" engine it becomes important as it is being pushed to the limit or beyond.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 02:10:13 PM »
Hello oldmil and randy.
Thank you all for the kind words, wisdom and advice.
Randy thank you for the information on the end stands I did intend on purchasing a set however I wasn’t sure from where so I appreciate the lead.
Randy I  have a question if I may ask.
I am interested in using the factory style adjustable rockers also like yourself however are you using good original fords adjustable rockers,or do you track down a nos set of factory ford adjustable rockers or do you use the crane version or isky version of the factory adjustable rockers?
Just curious on you thoughts opinions and experiences.
Thank you once again for taking the time to reply and for and information or words of advice.
It is very much appreciated.
Thank you all.
Have a nice day
Dave

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 03:03:02 PM »
  Dave,
      Over the last 50 years I have used virtually all brands. With me , I try to use the rocker I feel is the best for the type of use . For street performance, the Ford rocker has stood the test of time. Early ISKY rockers were designed to fit under short  valve covers and use "ball/ball" pushrods. Crane modified his to accept a jam nut another great idea. All of these I consider good for street engines up to 6,000 rpm. For higher rpm/ performance, Harland Sharp was one of the first to make them in aluminum and now you have many others making them along with Jesel and T&D making super high end versions. These last two are "required" for roller cam , high spring pressure and lift camshafts , but not really for a Sunday driver.
  My 68.5 CJ has factory rockers and ISKY pushrods , along with end support stands. "Sunny day" car 6,000 rpm max. "Nut and bolt rods" too!
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »
Randy
Thank you once again for the information it’s very much appreciated.
I never knew that the early isky rockers accepted a ball/ ball pushrod, the only isky rockers I have seen in photos or looked at all look as if they accept the ball and cup style pushrod that is common on the factory adjustable rocker set up. So thank you for the heads up.
I think for my set up,the 445fe stroker is being built as a fun street motor that would see 6000rpm at the max as I still want the engine to idle nice and have plenty of vacuum for the factory power brakes.
(The idea is to go just one better than factory if that makes sense so as example 445 ci vs 428 aluminium heads instead of cast iron, slightly bigger cam to supply the more cubic inches while still being streetable.)
As the idea is if anything should go wrong the original motor is shelved and safe.
I think the best route for me would be the crane adjustable rockers with the jam nut and a good set of end supports as you suggested.
Once again thank you very much for your help and advice.
All the best.
Have a nice day
Dave.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
I also have an 67 GT 500. On the dyno I picked up 12 hp with Dove rollers. The cam profile I have is right on the edge because of the power brakes but you don't want a real short duration came because it all comes on too early and you just burn the tires off. Doug at Precision Oil Pumps in Clovis, Ca. is a straight up guy. I have known him for 30 years.
I would suggest you buy the blue printed HV pump, heavy duty rocker shafts, stands and end stands. He also has ARP studs for the rocker assemblies which I run. The oiling bolt on the rockers is shorter for the Edelbrock heads. If you're going Edelbrock be sure to let him know when you order them.
Another suggestion is if you buy Edelbrock heads assembled do NOT run them until you have the valve job on them checked out.

-Keith

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 12:34:26 PM »
     Yes, we have been using the Crane rocker arms for decades, generally inventory them, and find them suitable for any reasonable "street" build, with flat tappet or hydraulic roller cams.      ;)

We also have used them for the F.I.A. endurance engine applications where the roller rocker is not permitted.  In these instances I bore them to accept a bronze bushings and size them to reduce the otherwise generally excessive clearance to provide an increased distribution of load at the juncture of the rocker arm bore and the shaft and an increase in oil film support thereby reducing specific loading, wear rates, and a reduction in fictional losses, this also permitting an increase in oil pressure within the shaft system itself, providing better oil distribution, particularly to the rocker arms furthest from the oil feed supply emanating from the cylinder head, reducing heat and galling yet maintaining reasonable oil bleed sums, thereby negating the use of oil flow restrictors which often prove a counter productive solution to oil control.  What a pain in the ......um; why don't they just come out of the box this way?  Well, actually I guess I do know why.      8)

Also, with the after-market hardened steel shafts, reasonable spring pressures, and R.P.M.s, one may generally avoid the "end-stand" option, as it may only prove a luxury.  But I'm not saying don't use them, as their not being potentially an improvement, but consider the application and intent, and determine whether necessary or not, also note the execution as sometimes the engineering lacks, and these may also prove difficult fitment with some valve covers.      :)

Scott.

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »
Hello Keith and Scott.
Thank you both for the advice and words of wisdom they are very helpful.
I have decided on the factory adjustable rockers made by crane however I am having trouble find a new set of sixteen. They where available a few weeks back but are not anymore?
So if anyone has a set or if anyone has any leads that may help would be much appreciated.
So scott if you have any new in stock please let me know.
I also have another question that maybe best for a different thread however Keith reminded me with his post.
The engine is a 445 fe 10.8.1 compression edelbrock 76 cc  427 fe aluminium heads, c7zx intake
3.25.1 rear axle ratio so what would you guys recommend as a good performance street cam that is a upgrade from the factory stock that makes enough vacuum for power brakes. Also 6000rpm will be the max engine limit however I doubt the engine will ever go past 5800 rpm to be safe.
I remember I believe on the old forum people suggested the 390 high performance cam from the early galaxies rated 390hp was a good cam. But I believe that’s solid lifter I would like hydraulic lifter.
Thanks again everyone for your help.
Have a nice day everyone.
Best regards

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »
HI have decided on the factory adjustable rockers made by crane however I am having trouble find a new set of sixteen. They where available a few weeks back but are not anymore?
So if anyone has a set or if anyone has any leads that may help would be much appreciated.
So scott if you have any new in stock please let me know.

Well, it always happens when I open my mouth, without getting up off my arse and checking the inventory on the shelf; I do have one set on the shelf, but I have three engine jobs in the shop at this time which I was planning on using them on, so the first response is sorry, I don't have any, as I'm apparently actually running in the negative inventory scenario, and if you happen to find a stock pile of them, after you get yours, please call me and let me know where the remainder are!        :-[

Scott.

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 08:15:37 AM »
I'm using the Jesels. I was using Harland Sharp but they sent me one where no oil hole had been drilled and the motor ate pushrods as a result. The Jesels are fabulous. They stay adjusted and are easily  to service. Real quality stuff. You pay your money and you take your chances. ;)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »
Nothing wrong with factory adjustables.
I run them with POP stands, spacers, crane adjusters.
.615 lift

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
     Relatively good, but are weaker particularly on the pushrod side; so watch the pushrod length, as to short causes excessive length of the stem distance to pushrod, this increases leverage on this weaker position and increases potential component failure, and although I'll say we have gotten away with it, with perhaps only limited failure rates, I would be hesitant to advise on applications with mechanical roller cams and high spring pressures.       ;)

And of course, the real challenge is finding any used units that are of acceptable condition.  Another unit one may search for is the also discontinued, old Manley number 43128-8 (8pcs. so 2 are required per engine), these being of stock appearance in engineering with a different adjustment stem. 

And for replacement adjustment stems & lock nuts see the, still available (at least for now; come to think of it, maybe I had better stock-up now!), Crane number 99680-16 (16 pcs.) for use with 7/16" x 20 thread x 3/8" diameter cupped pushrods.        8)

Scott.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 05:35:43 PM »
Scott, have you tried any if the newly made factory style adjustables?
I have seen them for sale in the $250 range and am too scared to try them out on any engine I like.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 06:56:51 PM »
      No I haven't, but I tell you what, you go first, I promise I'll be right behind you!     ::)

Scott.