News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Shocks?

Started by owenkelley, August 20, 2019, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owenkelley

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I tried to search the forum and couldn't find an answer. I have '67 GT500 #589 and I'm trying to figure out what the original shocks were supposed to be. I always thought they came with adjustable Koni's but I have been told recently that that is not correct. Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JD

IIRC - FoMoCo stamped adjustable shocks painted black made by Gabriel for Ford

There is a guy that make/modifies versions that are a good representation, Dan Patch -
https://dansshocks.com/

others will comment too.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

owenkelley

What are the performance characteristics of the Gabriels compared to the Konis?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on August 21, 2019, 12:56:30 AM
What are the performance characteristics of the Gabriels compared to the Konis?
Koni's can take more abuse and are the racers choice by comparison. If you compare them side by side the Koni's look beefier too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

owenkelley

The reason I asked this question initially is my car was heading into a shop to have the front end rebuilt, new shocks etc. I have owned the car since '82 and have never done anything to the suspension, the car's a driver that I have put about 42,000 miles on since I've owned it. I bought it with 54,000 miles on it. after all those years and miles the front end was starting to feel a bit sloppy. I assume but don't know that the previous owners never replaced the shocks, but these are the shocks that came off the car. Could these be originals or is it likely they were replaced before I purchased the car?

JD

Those are not what Ford installed when they built the car to Shelby specifications, which would have been FoMoCo stamped adjustable shocks painted black made by Gabriel for Ford. (Shelby did not change-out the shocks on the cars when they completed them.)

Someone previous to your ownership installed the Koni's that are on your car.

If you liked the way they performed and sounds like you drive your car (great to hear) then rebuild them if needed or replace with a new set of Koni's.  (Some that do use the Koni's and don't want to have them be as apparent will paint them black)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Koni shocks are the number one most common things added to any year Shelby (even exchanged on my 65 and early 66's) 65-70 .  I agree with previous post that a 67 Shelby would come from the factory with adjustable FOMOCO marked shocks very early or Autolite marked adjustable for the vast majority of production. The Koni's are over kill for the street but a viable alternative.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

In your picture it looks like the date is 11-64 which would not be original to your car. They "could" be for a lower number '65 GT350.  I agree with the others in that your car was built with the "spec" Ford adjustable shocks initially. If you had the original invoice and it noted Koni shocks and an upcharge , you should have them Konis were a very popular add on back then as others mentioned. So much so that many take them as being "standard equipment". '67 dates would be a plus.
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

JD

Bob, I listed FoMoCo as the brand stamped on the shocks as Owen's car was assembled 1/11/67 at San Jose.  Is it known when the AUTOLITE marked version was implemented?  Would this car have had the AUTOLITE version?

J_Speegle

Quote from: JD on August 23, 2019, 12:16:00 PM
Bob, I listed FoMoCo as the brand stamped on the shocks as Owen's car was assembled 1/11/67 at San Jose.  Is it known when the AUTOLITE marked version was implemented?  Would this car have had the AUTOLITE version?

JD based on what I've collected I would have expected that this car would have come with the FoMoCo stamped shocks rather than the AUTOLITE ones so . Have cars built after 1/11 with the FoMoCo shocks.  Currently it appears that the change took place likely in Feb 1967 though they had been making the AUTOLITE shocks earlier than that - just took that much time to use up the old stock and get the new version in to the process

While we're touching on the AUTOLITE though wanted to mention there were two versions (differences in the stamping) of the later AUTOLITE - made in Canada shocks versions also.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

owenkelley

Thank you for your input everyone. So since these shocks are not original to my car, and they are worn out, is there any reason to hang on to them? Would they have any value to anyone or should I just toss them?

J_Speegle

Quote from: owenkelley on August 23, 2019, 06:09:25 PM
Thank you for your input everyone. So since these shocks are not original to my car, and they are worn out, is there any reason to hang on to them? Would they have any value to anyone or should I just toss them?

Yes they likely have some value to someone. For showing the shocks don't really have to perform as new ones and they can be rebuilt or that has been an option in the past.  So that option might be one that you want to explore considering that they were likely the same version that were original on your car or may have value for a future owner of your car.

Value will depend on condition of each,  the person interested as well as you ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on August 23, 2019, 12:16:00 PM
The FoMoCo shocks were being phased out in Oct/Nov 66 for sure. Several of the earliest finished cars that I had the chance to study that still had original shocks on them including #0001 had a mix of FOMOCO and Autolite marked shocks in use on the same car.  That would suggest the phase out started at the very least when 67 Production started. I wouldn't be surprised if the phase out of the FOMOCO marked shocks could have started in very late 66 GT350 production.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 23, 2019, 08:34:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the phase out of the FOMOCO marked shocks could have started in very late 66 GT350 production.

Just in an effort to share have not seen any dated early enough to have been installed on any late 66's and have found them on 67's into the 600's

Do you know what the dates are on the Autolite shocks on 001 are?