News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

How were '67's delivered to Shelby by Ford?

Started by owenkelley, August 21, 2019, 04:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrask8

But,

Since all GT-500's started life as "S" code cars, who put in the 428PI motors? Special Production order, like the COPO Chevy's and Hurst Olds? Not publicly available, but special build runs?

Richstang

Quote from: Cobrask8 on August 22, 2019, 02:09:01 PM
But,

Since all GT-500's started life as "S" code cars, who put in the 428PI motors? Special Production order, like the COPO Chevy's and Hurst Olds? Not publicly available, but special build runs?

at Ford, San Jose factory. built that way from the start. There was no S code engine ever installed, just the basic 'S' components needed for the 428.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

But,

In a way yes - as they were special order DSO, special run by Ford for Shelby units (the cars) but Ford VIN for the 428 cars have a "Q" code not an "S"" code.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

greekz

Quote from: Richstang on August 22, 2019, 01:28:24 PM
Quote from: greekz on August 22, 2019, 01:13:27 PM
Just wondering, in Reply 2, it says fiberglass parts were painted off the car then installed, which makes perfect sense. Yet, in Reply 11, the bottom photo shows a succession of cars with unpainted noses installed and appear to have trim rings installed.  Could this have been a staged photo, because it seems like wasted effort to install, then remove for painting.  As we know, Shelby did not like wasted effort.

From reply #1
"There were two paint booths at LAX so the fiberglass parts could be painted as needed. I am not certain if some may have been painted on the car before or after installation. I always assumed painted first, then installed, but a photo of #0231 shows a gray primer nose installed. This was likely due to the fitment issues.[/i][/b]"

We know the first fiberglass nose pieces were a very poor fit from the early molds. Since this white car is noted as #00231 this should still be one of those early pieces.  It is possible the nose was fitted in place on early cars prior to painting to make adjustments as needed. I suspect by the time the 2 pieces nose arrived they could be pre-painted with the other parts off the car before assembly. After the revised (new) one piece nose arrived the fitment may have been good enough to pre-paint prior to installation. just my thoughts...

Edit; I don't think the production line had time to stage photos since the early cars were slow to complete and likely far behind schedule.

That makes sense. 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

camp upshur

If you look closely at the pic you can see that all if the cars had primer noses, i.e. none of them were pre-painted prior to install (for all of those mentally gifted such as myself!).

Bob Gaines

Quote from: camp upshur on August 22, 2019, 08:53:50 PM

If you look closely at the pic you can see that all if the cars had primer noses, i.e. none of them were pre-painted prior to install (for all of those mentally gifted such as myself!).
How many of you have seen original paint body color over spray evidence on the front frame rail, radiator support ,License plate bracket and or hood latch support bracket as a result of painting the nose on the car?   ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

camp upshur

I don't think I have ever looked under a 1967 Shelby Mustang, I've been cloistered in the 1965 GT-350 world. :o
What I do know from the 1965 world is that era photos have consistently been the most accurate source in dispelling and enlightening in areas of confusion. Since all of these cars in this one picture have primer noses I would hope my 1967 colleagues would be keeping an eye open for a production line photos w painted noses perhaps.
Love those 67s though, especially w the centered lamps! Cheers!!

shelbydoug

Those must be early cars with steel frame hoods. Details were beimg worked out. The numbers on those cars maybe could be narrowed down, all white all steel hoods, could fit into one DSO number?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 22, 2019, 10:21:29 PM

Those must be early cars with steel frame hoods. Details were beimg worked out. The numbers on those cars maybe could be narrowed down, all white all steel hoods, could fit into one DSO number?

SAI was probably not concerned about completing cars with the same DSO package since they were not really touching the mechanicals, just the aesthetics. I've seen some of the daily logs and they were mixed by engine model. (Maybe just the same colors as we see on the line). The first car in the LAX line is noted as #00231. (GT500 4spd '400F' completed 1/3/67) There were quite a few white cars completed around the same time as it including a few GT350s with automatics '211F. What we don't know is when they were all started. We would only be guessing on any of the other white ones.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: camp upshur on August 22, 2019, 09:47:26 PM

I don't think I have ever looked under a 1967 Shelby Mustang, I've been cloistered in the 1965 GT-350 world. :o
What I do know from the 1965 world is that era photos have consistently been the most accurate source in dispelling and enlightening in areas of confusion. Since all of these cars in this one picture have primer noses I would hope my 1967 colleagues would be keeping an eye open for a production line photos w painted noses perhaps.
Love those 67s though, especially w the centered lamps! Cheers!!
I study all years Shelby 65-70 . The use of historic photos has been a important tool for me to cultivate my concours judging expertise . Personal observation along with historical photos gives a advantage in interpreting photos that someone unfamiliar with a given production year techniques may overlook or not take into consideration. For instance another explanation for what is seen in the photos could be pre fitting and final prep prior to painting . Given the absence of over spray evidence on brackets ,sheetmetal and front framerails on survivor examples would tend to add weight to that interpretation at least until more compelling evidence presents itself. It is a evolving learning process.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

there is this image... seems to support the painted off the car perspective.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on August 22, 2019, 02:17:28 PM
But,

at Ford, San Jose factory. built that way from the start. There was no S code engine ever installed, just the basic 'S' components needed for the 428.
To add the S code is 390 and Q code is 428 . With that said it is common to find paint stick markings on the back side of battery aprons that read "QD" on the GT500 and KD on the GT350 . The Q and the K were apparent reference to the engines put there to remind assemblyline personal what engine went in the bodies.