Author Topic: Adding A/C after the fact - car value implications  (Read 2561 times)

chipchambliss

• View Profile
Adding A/C after the fact - car value implications
« on: August 23, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
Was curious what everyone thought about the impact to the valuation of adding A/C to a non-factory A/C car.  I want to buy either a '67 or '68 GT500 to drive on the weekends (and I live in Texas), but I don't want to impact the investment in the vehicle dramatically if I buy a non-ac car and modify it after the fact.  Outside of running the lines through the firewall and permanently making a hole are there really any other implications I should think about?

Thanks in advance!

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Adding A/C after the fact - car value implications
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
How about the enjoyment factor. If you buy the car and can't enjoy it, or it's uncomfortable to drive, why have it. If putting in air makes you drive it more and increases the enjoyment factor, who cares about what you sell it. You only live once and unless you're buying a concourse blue chip car it shouldn't matter. Buy what you like, drive it how you like. That's my 2 cents.  Did that with my 66. Did the mods that I enjoy, not what the value it will bring down the road-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:40:58 PM »
I would say that as long as you make it look like a factory installation inside and under the hood on a car you drive regardless of how nice it is that it would not be a negative. Although it may not make it worth more it will enhance the sale ability of the car IMO. A concours car is a different story . Someone should not do that modification if they intend to show in concours or if they do expect a sizable deduction for the installation. Just my opinion based on what i have seen. Others may have different opinions.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »
I agree with the above.
I’ve been in TX and South Florida in August when its 90 and humid and you would want AC for realz.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 05:30:04 PM »
I have an original factory in-dash system for sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293196686843?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Stephen Becker
CEO & President
Stephen Becker Automotive Group Inc

+1 (770) 614-3300 | +1 (770) 900-5532

stephen@beckerautogroup.com

beckerautogroup.com

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 05:37:31 PM »
Just curious as to those with original systems are doing about the lack of freon for refill service.  Is there a required upgrade or are there some shops that still have freon available? 8)

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 07:09:34 PM »
I just replaced all the orings on my system and recharged with R12. Ice cold. Check eBay for freon
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 07:23:04 PM »
How about the enjoyment factor. If you buy the car and can't enjoy it, or it's uncomfortable to drive, why have it. If putting in air makes you drive it more and increases the enjoyment factor, who cares about what you sell it. You only live once and unless you're buying a concourse blue chip car it shouldn't matter. Buy what you like, drive it how you like. That's my 2 cents.  Did that with my 66. Did the mods that I enjoy, not what the value it will bring down the road-

+ 1 agreed
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 07:23:31 PM »
I would say that as long as you make it look like a factory installation inside and under the hood on a car you drive regardless of how nice it is that it would not be a negative. Although it may not make it worth more it will enhance the sale ability of the car IMO. A concours car is a different story . Someone should not do that modification if they intend to show in concours or if they do expect a sizable deduction for the installation. Just my opinion based on what i have seen. Others may have different opinions.

+ 1

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
Just curious as to those with original systems are doing about the lack of freon for refill service.  Is there a required upgrade or are there some shops that still have freon available? 8)

retro fit system and change to R134 could use original compressor, but would be more efficient with a sanden compressor

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
I'd get OEM in dash looking AC and add a new style compressor. Full OEM system would probably not have much impact on value. Save the firewall knockout plugs in case you ever want to go back they can be welded back in.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 08:47:39 PM »
I have an original factory in-dash system for sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293196686843?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Stephen Becker
CEO & President
Stephen Becker Automotive Group Inc

+1 (770) 614-3300 | +1 (770) 900-5532

stephen@beckerautogroup.com

beckerautogroup.com
Stephen ,your ebay auction is of a 68 in dash AC system not a 67 in dash AC system which is being discussed here.  The 67 AC system has all  completely different style brackets then your 68 system all except the one lower cast iron compressor bracket  which is the same. The  indash vent register panel and control panel vent register which are the parts that you see is different on a 68 compared to a 67. Other then those things it is very similar. Best of luck on your sale.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 10:45:12 PM »
+1 to the previous posts. And, the less drilling required, the better.  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 10:58:56 PM »
Unless the car is being restored for concours, any a/c added to a classic gets more attention with our hot summers.  I have seen classic Mustangs with a/c added getting higher  numbers and quicker sales than those without for non-concours cars. 8)

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
I am not sure with the Shelbys, but regular production Mustangs had different specs for the front coil springs when AC was ordered (and possibly rear spring rates as well).  There is fairly significant weight added to front of car with AC.  I suspect this would affect small block more than big block car as big block coils are a lot stiffer.

Years ago I swapped in a factory system into a small block 67 coupe and found a noticeable drop in the front stance as well as some degradation in handling.  I went back and swapped the front coils from the donor which corrected the problem.
Just a detail to think about when searching for a donor system.
Kurt.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:23:16 AM by 67350#1242 »
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB