News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

69 GT500 wiring harness

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, August 23, 2019, 03:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I am in the process of tearing apart my car and contemplating a new main wiring harness. Is there anyone out there that rebuilds the original harness, OR is it better to purchase a new harness from one of the parts companies out there? Or is there another suggestion? Car is an A/T with A/C and a tilt-away wheel.  I plan to have all of the harnesses replaced or gone through.  No need to worry about a fire due to old broken wiring.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on August 23, 2019, 03:43:35 PM
I am in the process of tearing apart my car and contemplating a new main wiring harness. Is there anyone out there that rebuilds the original harness, OR is it better to purchase a new harness from one of the parts companies out there? Or is there another suggestion? Car is an A/T with A/C and a tilt-away wheel.  I plan to have all of the harnesses replaced or gone through.  No need to worry about a fire due to old broken wiring.
All things being EQUAL the original is preferred to the repro. It also depends on your personal expectations.The repros are good but slightly different compared to a original. That may matter more to some and others not so much.  I suppose it also depends on how much damage or what condition the current original harness is in . For example a person will spend 4 or 5 hours inspecting ,cleaning and rewrapping a good under dash harness that doesn't need but the most basic of repairs. Others take less time . There are a lot of variables and time is money. If you are going to put the auto parts store shocks dressed to look more original (from your other thread) on the car plus ,good repro battery, batt, cables ,regulator, belts, hoses ,smog ,air filter,non Fuller exhaust ,carpet etc then the good repro wiring harness will not be looked at twice.The more authentic other visible parts on the car look will determine how much the non authentic parts stand out as not matching to the informed eye. You will have to decide what makes the most sense to you.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

excellent advice. much to consider.  thank you

roddster

On the VMF (Vintage-Mustang.com) there is a retired fellow named "Midlife".  He seems to do a nice job and, as I have read, can repair any wiring issues.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on August 29, 2019, 10:04:13 AM
  On the VMF (Vintage-Mustang.com) there is a retired fellow named "Midlife".  He seems to do a nice job and, as I have read, can repair any wiring issues.
Midlife does excellent work but his work is more about function then concours looks. Just so there are no unrealistic expectations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

If you do commit to new wiring look at it as " insurance" you can save the old stuff for a rainy day if you want.