Author Topic: 1965/01/27 - Introduction Event of the GT350 (New 25.10.20: German Car Magazin)  (Read 10052 times)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Yes, I thought the same about the pond.  Thanks for the weather/rain info.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    Years ago former '65 GT350 production manager , Bruce Junor spoke about this very day. The "plan" was to have 50 GT350s there that day for a "show of force" to the press. Fifty "production" GT350s were prepared and drivers set out in mass toward RIR. One by one , the cars developed engine problems later traced to "soft" camshafts ( poor heat treatment) and didn't complete the trip resulting in the few in your photo. Those in the picture were those that ''made it" ( and some barely made it) . Some were fine and were used for demonstrations. Ford air freighted replacement engines for those that failed. Because of this , SEVERAL early cars have replacement engines without the Ford VIN stamped on them. 5 020 was one of them for sure. SAI kept it hush hush for obvious reasons.

For the 1/27/65 introduction at Riverside, only 12 street cars had been completed by then.  The 50th street car wasn't completed until middle of March.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
    Thanks Charles , I can only repeat the story he told to the group of us and wasn't qualified to challenge him then or now. Thank you for the information.
    Randy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:16:34 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    Thanks Charles , I can only repeat the story he told top the group of us and wasn't qualified to challenge him then or now. Thank you for the information.
    Randy

Maybe he got the Riverside display mixed up with another event or the moving of cars to the LAX facility.

Is Bruce still around?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Charles: That could be.

I figured that if 50 cars were needed to be transported to RIR, Shelby would've gotten transport trucks rather than risking all the "what ifs" of having 50 people (!~!) drive them.  Not to mention putting 150+ miles on each car, for the round trip.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:46:36 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Szabo

• View Profile
Thank a lot for your massiv replys and this wonderfull input in the thread ...

an unkown fact for me was that not all cars have all parts on her production installed ... sound like there was a lot of
hectic to make the job done...

i really thougt that on the Introduction Day all Cars was make in perfect condition because the photos
running complete over the hole USA and even outside.

i really think there was no 50 Cars on RIR, but maybe a lot are making for the first LAX shoot i know ...

i came with some more Magazin shoots.

The Magazine sometimes mix pics from S003 (first street Shelby) and even the Shelby they drove on
the event...

but i find some pics where more then one Shelby was shown or even because the backround we clearly
see the pic was made on RIR

Mustang a Complete Guide (Car Life Special Edition) 5 / 1965

the Frontcover shows clearly RIR with a Shelby GT350 but also a GT Convertible, on my Sheby Buildings Carter Ave Thread
was spoken that the GT Option was not on the Market on the Introduction Day ...

so it not clear when the Pic was really shooted..

the other Pic from Inside shows cleary the Ford GT and 5R002 on RIR ...

Speed & Custom 06 / 1965

is a good example for mixing pics from different events or shooting,
on the two little pics from left corner above we see 5R002 (silver bright wheels) and two more Pics standing in the row behind
the rest shows 5S003 on the very early LAX shooting...

a little bit wondering about the Steelies shown on the driving Shelby, it is not 5S003 but a good example that on RIR all knows cars
have Le Mans Stripes but not all have Cragar mounted

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:29:08 PM by Szabo »

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
on the two little pics from left corner above we see 5R002 (silver bright wheels) and two more Pics standing in the row behind

Only the last pic is 003.

The open hood engine bay pic is believed to be 5007.  003 was the only street car produced without an export brace, so easy to rule out in photos.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group

Only the last pic is 003.

The open hood engine bay pic is believed to be 5007.  003 was the only street car produced without an export brace, so easy to rule out in photos.

Yes 5S003, that little "GT350" sticker on the front fender is another clue.

Fantastic magazine covers and articles Stephan!
You come up with some have never seen before, like the "Winternationals" issue.
Thanks for sharing!

8)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

gt350hr

• View Profile
   John Timanus ( rip) at the wheel in the static picture. Ran the racing school for a while.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   John Timanus ( rip) at the wheel in the static picture. Ran the racing school for a while.

He's also in the Riverside display photo, behind the car next to the dark hair lady.  Also in the photo with CS showing the track layout, in the background, probably P Brock standing next to him.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350hr

• View Profile
   Charles ,
        I believe Bruce is still around . I will look into it as your information has my curiosity fired up.
     Randy

rkm

• View Profile
Ladies and gentlemen we just got out of the premiere of Ford versus Ferrari of the Toronto international film Festival.  Christian Bale was outstanding as Ken Miles and Matt Damon did a pretty good job particularly with the accent for a short guy who is a liberal. I think you guys are gonna love it the photography is fantastic at Willow Springs and what looks a lot like Riverside has it then was I hope y’all enjoy it.

Kim and Lisa

Szabo

• View Profile
Hello again,

after the last post i had some mental stress problems and a busy life so i was not
able to continue the thread(s) in the same speed as befor...

but with some time by my own and the found of some new information and pics,
and even the Film "LeMans66" i want to continue the thread because i am still
facinated.

For the first i became a pair of pics from my friend George Watters from
a Ford Times Magazin.

we can see clearly the two person from the Pics from the other Ford Times Articel 8 / 1965,
the man with the white jacket and the the Lady in Red.

above on the track wee see the a GT350 (propaly R-Model) and the 427 Race Cobra Prototyp
CSX3002

on the other Pic wee can se GT / 103 on the Riverside Racetrack who was very decorated
on the Start/Finish Line.

So i hope you have still some interest in that thread ...

Greets from Germany and merry X-Mas

Steve / Stephan

honker

• View Profile
Re: 1965 / 01 / 27 - Introduction Event of the GT350 ( 25.12.19 - 2 new Pics)
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2019, 11:17:34 PM »
Szabo, great to see you back  :) your threads are very interesting and garner a lot of comments and discussion. The GT40 photo in your latest post is wonderful.

Mike

gt350hr

• View Profile
Re: 1965 / 01 / 27 - Introduction Event of the GT350 ( 25.12.19 - 2 new Pics)
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »
   The guy in sunglasses and driving 3002 is John Timanus. He had the Shelby van (and trailer) used for the school. Also in the multi car picture at Riverside is the "unmistakable"(red haired) Ron Butler and to the right (I believe) is one of the Agapou brothers. I think jack Aylesbury is there too.
   Randy