News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Paint color for 1968 GT500 power steering pump

Started by Kevingt500, August 26, 2019, 02:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevingt500

I know I have seen discussion of the power steering pump being a teal color and that there may have been several different shades of such color.  I have not been able to find a match to my pump and was hoping someone would have a color that that they have found that can be purchased.
Thanks  Kevin

J_Speegle

Since each batch was different - likely didn't car or was using recycled paint from some other processes in the plant - its hard to nail down an exact color and because if this judges typically are looking for something close that does not stand out as "looking off" or catching the eye. There are a couple of rattle cans choices you can make or take the paint store and have it match if you want to restore it exactly like it is currently
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

Most vendors now sell the correct color.

That wasnt the case years ago

J_Speegle

Some original paint examples for your sue and for others facing the same issues/choices

[/quote]

Guess you have already checked the pump ID to confirm it was a teal painted pump

FAQ Section

During the production of the classic Mustang production years Ford used/installed power steering pumps made by one of two suppliers. Multiple suppliers were a common practice for Ford during this period.  The following chart will allow you to determine what pump your car has and what the original color was.

Supplier                     Identification                                 Pump Color
TRW                    On tag – "W" 2nd digit in bottom line   Black                         
Ford Thompson           On tag – "F" in center line          Teal/Blue
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Kevingt500 on August 26, 2019, 02:01:55 PM
I know I have seen discussion of the power steering pump being a teal color and that there may have been several different shades of such color.  I have not been able to find a match to my pump and was hoping someone would have a color that that they have found that can be purchased.
Thanks  Kevin
Kevin ,you have been fortunate to get good advice here. I wanted to mention that there were two suppliers to the assemblyline . The teal colored on was Ford Thompson and it can be identified by the "F" in the second line of the tag bolted onto the back of the pump. The other mfg was TRW and it was painted black . It can be identified by a "W" on the second line. Of course you can paint it any color you want because once installed it is hard to read what is on the tag to know if you got it right or wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Kevingt500 on August 26, 2019, 02:01:55 PM
Thanks  Kevin
I had a 68 390 engine  that came with a 68 Mustang. i kept the pump. I had the pump color matched. It was a LOT more blue than the really teal one Jeff has above. I also have a really teal pump lying around(1970 circa). I color matched my "blue" pump at Painters supply and had it put in rattle cans. I gave the color to NPD and Scott used that for their "later" pumps in their catalog(10 years ago) as before that they sold the very early incorrect color for the later cars(66 type). I do not know if NPD has changed their colors or not from my "blue" color but i went with that color because it came on a BB 68 pump. i can email you some pics of my pumps but they are pretty much like what Jeff posted above. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

As a reminder what we see on our computers (as far as colors) is often different from the item in person based on photo editing, capture and monitor settings. One reason I started cutting sections from items and keeping them for some items rather than relying only on pictures but sometimes (storage and handling) pictures are the only choice

Kevingt500

Thanks for the info.  Yes it is definitly the teal color as the paint is mostly intact, and I was trying to find a match..I guess I can take it and get color match to the worn color it is.  I just didn't know how much the color aged as it is the original pump to the car..after 50 years I know it is'nt the exact color anymore... Thanks again

J_Speegle

Quote from: Kevingt500 on August 26, 2019, 09:39:16 PM
Thanks for the info.  Yes it is definitly the teal color as the paint is mostly intact, and I was trying to find a match..I guess I can take it and get color match to the worn color it is.  I just didn't know how much the color aged as it is the original pump to the car..after 50 years I know it is'nt the exact color anymore... Thanks again

Would want to clean it well and buff an area for the test to remove any outer layer that has been exposed to the elements and chemicals over time.  Might do this to a number of areas just in case

shelbymann1970

To be clear according to my long time friend Scott Halseth who does the Mustang catalogs and orders parts for NPD the supplier used 4 colors for other components  to get the "batch" paint which ended up being the colors we see on the teal pumps. The colors varied from batch to batch. George Huisman once gave me a can out of a batch of cans he had made up from an NOS 69 Boss 429 power steering pump and that is what I used on my 70 Shelby's pump 20 years ago. I don't think I ever had 2 pumps with the exact same tone of paint on them(teal ones). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)