Author Topic: Worth the cost  (Read 7314 times)

cutter

• View Profile
Worth the cost
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:38:01 AM »
Looking at a 2 owner 68 KR, issues are the original owner converted the CJ carb and intake to a PI dual qual set up. New to the forum so excuse maybe the obvious questions, but what would one expect to return to original cast intake and carb..breather, smog setup expense, to do it right..of course...any input is much appreciated.

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Worth the cost
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
cutter
Ball park $9-10K if a M/T car, maybe $7.5-8.5K for an A/T car using a mix of original and repo parts. Figuring the following parts; Carb, intake, PCV system, smog system, air cleaner, snorkel, s-tube & heat shield. Labor not included.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

OldMil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
You could probably get 2-3K for the PI dual quad, carbs, and air cleaner, maybe more if OEM

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
You could probably get 2-3K for the PI dual quad, carbs, and air cleaner, maybe more if OEM
There is no such thing as a PI dual quad but assume you are talking about a factory Ford intake . C7ZX marked is the more valuable version but there are others. Same goes for carbs . Factory vs after market.Best of luck with decision.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
Well. Then someone correct me then. I was under the ideal that the dual quad was a PI option ??
If not this has all the OEM parts and correct carb number. It’s also my understanding the original KR Carb for a 4 speed is crazy expensive for one ??

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »
it wasnt an option  . it was available over the counter by Ford.    Did they cut up the hoods ram air chamber to get the air cleaner to fit?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
Sounds like negotiating room to me... ;D

cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 01:40:23 PM »
That's good info on the hood, and thanks on the dual quad info...but yes all correct parts for intake and carbs,,,don't know what a fair price for the quad setup would be in purchasing the correct ones.

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 02:51:48 PM »
I went thru the exact same process a couple of years ago. I'm no expert so I welcome corrections if corrections are due. First I'll say "KR500" is pretty close on costs of new stuff. As for the value of the existing dual quad set-up, value depends on exactly what you have. If the intake and carbs are correct for 67 GT500 I think the value will be greater than over-the-counter parts or parts off a non-Shelby application. Best situation is to have the correct C7AZ intake and matching pair of C3AF-9510-BK/BJ carbs. Many times the carbs will look correct but you find 9510-U carbs which are service replacements. I thought I had a correct setup but later found the air cleaner was a repro while carbs and intake were good.

As for 68 KR parts:
Carb will be $1000 up for a rebuildable core. Restored $1500 and up, but varies with your configuration (4spd vs auto)

Intake will be $400 and up. If you want to be date-code correct you'll need to allow some time to find the right one and be willing to pay when you find it.

Air filter, snorkel, s-tube and heat shield, $4000 for original, $2500 for repop.

Allow $300-400 for misc. specific parts for PVC setup, vacuum fittings, etc.

I don't know costs on thermactor set-up since I haven't replaced mine. Depending on your current setup you may need to replace some pulleys. There also might be some work where the thermactor tubes connect to the exhaust manifolds.

As Bob said, the plenum had to be modified for the 2x4 air cleaner to fit under the hood so include $200-$250 for reproduction plenum.

After all the above, throw in $1000 for shipping, belts, hoses, paint, cleaners, etc.

None of this includes labor or other incorrect parts you find along the way.

If you purchase the car don't think you will be shunned here for having none correct parts on your car. If you get it for the right price, drive and enjoy. Our KR successfully ran like a scalded dog 40 years set-up like yours. I only decided to put it back to a single carb when the 2x4's need rebuilding/restoring.

Ted

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:08:14 PM by TedS »

cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 04:02:53 PM »
Thank you Ted very much...exactly what I was thinking but I thought the correct card is the CF8 which they are asking 2100 plus for...it is a 4 speed A/C car.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »
Carb will be more like $2500 minimum....
Beware of fake carbs for this application...
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 04:35:07 PM »
Look if VIN present on block or heads.
Derivative of VIN
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »
Thanks on the carb, I was thinking more around 2K for correct carb also.....it and the breather set as the most expensive parts...but the car price seems reasonable for a factory a/c 4 speed coupe, I have a registry and the numbers check out to what the story is on the car...

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 05:11:46 PM »
The price I quoted on the KR carb was about what I paid a couple of years ago for a good rebuildable one. But it was from a friendly member of this forum, your results may vary. The carb part numbers in my previous post were what is correct for the 67 GT500 carbs you may have.

To quote the Coralsnake web page for KR carbs:
"The C80F-9510-AA was used on 4spd cars. The C80F-9510-AB was used on automatics.".
If you haven't already check out the Coralsnake info on intakes and carbs take a look. http://www.thecoralsnake.com/intakes.HTML

cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 07:00:12 PM »
Yes, I have spoke with Pete, very helpful