Author Topic: Tilt Away  (Read 2895 times)

Grouper Trooper

• Damn the Torpedoes!
    • View Profile
Tilt Away
« on: February 18, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
This one has not been on the road in about 40 years. This car was referred to on the old site as the, "Box of chocolates" as I acquired it completely disassembled (except for rolling suspension) and in boxes for the most part. I've performed a complete restoration after taking it down to it's shell starting over 6 years ago. I still have some work to do but nothing that will stop me from taking it around the block... except that I've sent the tilt-away out for a complete refurbishment and it's probably still a few weeks away. I'm just dying to fire up the 302 (331) for the first time. Can anyone tell me how to by-pass the tilt ignition lock out? While the starter safety switch inside the vacuum canister is working, I'm not getting power to either of the red-blue stripe wires leading to it. Does it get its power from the door jam switch? The door jam is actuating the vacuum solenoid so I know its working and the relay is a new aftermarket unit. It's a 4 speed car, no neutral safety switch, right?
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
2 X 4 Holley's sittin' on all SCAT 331
www.mpaenforcement.com

TLea

• View Profile
Re: Tilt Away
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »
Correct no neutral safety switch but BU light harness needs to be plugged in to complete circuit   You can bypas tilt away by unplugging 2 wire (both red w/ blue stripe) from vacuum solenoid and jumping the 2 wires on harness side

Grouper Trooper

• Damn the Torpedoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »
Many thanks! I had figured out to jump the blue/red stripe wires together but didn't have a clue about having to have the back up light switch connected.
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
www.mpaenforcement.com

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »
Congrats on your car. And progress.

Grouper Trooper

• Damn the Torpedoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »
Tilt away is not back until next week but I couldn't wait. I jumped the lock out and gave the key a turn. the 331 spun over very easily and it fired right up when gas got to the 480 CFM Holley's. I ran it at 2200 rpm for about 5 minutes until I noticed the headers Glowing Orange/Red ! I used a rolled cam so I was not too concerned about break-in.
Timing too advanced?
Jayson Horadam
1968 GT 350 #1516
www.mpaenforcement.com

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
Tilt away is not back until next week but I couldn't wait. I jumped the lock out and gave the key a turn. the 331 spun over very easily and it fired right up when gas got to the 480 CFM Holley's. I ran it at 2200 rpm for about 5 minutes until I noticed the headers Glowing Orange/Red ! I used a rolled cam so I was not too concerned about break-in.
Timing too advanced?
Too lean?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:35:57 AM »
Those carbs have the idle a/f ratio set leaner. You can't richen them with the idle screw. You need to change idle air bleed in them to enrichen the idle. You also are going to need to monitor that at the exhaust to get it right.

You are running a 2x4 Holley set up on your car?

If you are, the 1850's work better out of the box.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!