Author Topic: 1970 GT 350 Power Steering Lines  (Read 4720 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 GT 350 Power Steering Lines
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
Thank you everyone for the help on this.

I was able to achieve and good result with them more parallel with the ground.. The clamp was missing so I installed the one from Special Ed and it did the trick.

That looks pretty good and pretty original as I recall. +1 on the nice job.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 05:12:02 PM »
I was reviewing your picture from this thread and it brought to mind the tie rod adjusting clamps that can be seen in your picture (passenger side) . The driver side are not in view but unlike the passenger side it is very important that the clamps are rotated a certain way on the driver side. They need to be rotated so that the bolts are on the front side of the tie rod with the bolts pointed up and down. This is because if they are on rotated to the back side of the tie rod a part of the bolt (because it sticks out) can come into contact with the power control valve while the tie rods move side to side in the turning process. This can cause a steering binding situation while wearing a groove into the side of the power control valve. It doesn't matter which way it is on the passenger side just the driver side . This is a Factory Ford engineering directive which is also covered in the assemblyline manual. I have seen more power control valve cores ruined (at least for concours) then I care to remember because they have various degrees of grooves worn into the side of the power control valve. This is only applicable to 67-70 Shelby because they are the only ones that came with PS from the factory.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »
Thanks Bob and ShelbyDoug.

I just checked the tie rod orientation on the driver’s side and it is just as you described Bob.

A very good detail to be aware of and easy to miss.

I can’t seem to get pics up anymore but your description was right on.

Stubee

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 07:39:26 AM »
Is it Stub ee, or is it Stu bee?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 07:18:26 PM »
Lol.. the difference a space can make :)

Stu...Bee for me.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »
 ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!