Author Topic: 1970 GT 350 Power Steering Lines  (Read 4718 times)

Stubee

• View Profile
1970 GT 350 Power Steering Lines
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:50:19 PM »
The placement and tidy appearance of the power steering lines on these cars seems to vary.
Does anyone have a good set of photos for this?

I have seen some cars where the “loops” are seen well down past the bottom of the car floorpan line.

It also seems that there are special line stainless steel line fasteners to hold the lines in place in some of the photos i’ve  seen. Are those “correct” If so where can they be purchased?

Open for any tips and suggestions.

Many thanks,

Stubee

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 GT 350 Power Steering Lines
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:58:37 PM »
The placement and tidy appearance of the power steering lines on these cars seems to vary.
Does anyone have a good set of photos for this?

I have seen some cars where the “loops” are seen well down past the bottom of the car floorpan line.

It also seems that there are special line stainless steel line fasteners to hold the lines in place in some of the photos i’ve  seen. Are those “correct” If so where can they be purchased?

Open for any tips and suggestions.

Many thanks,

Stubee
The two lines (pressure and return ) did not hang down from the factory. They should be parallel to the ground . The adjustment has to do with how the lines are installed on the control valve ,the screw clamp (think hose clamp) that holds them in place (on the control valve body)  and the way the upper pressure hose is connected (twisted while tightening) at the rubber hose block.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:03:48 PM »
we have the worm drive clamps original type & #16  this clamps when installed properly hold p/s hoses in place so they dont hang down   nate  sells them on our ebay store

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »
Thank you Bob and Ed! Great info and timely too.

Dang Ed... there you go.. I have to contact Nate again!

Is it one or two of these clamps needed?

Thanks for the great help gents.

Stubee

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:00:50 AM »
From what I can see it looks like only one is needed.

Hope thatbis correct.

Stubee

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:25:53 AM »
one

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:10:40 AM »
Thanks Ed. Ordered it.

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 08:22:48 AM »
I was looking at this original photo of a 1969 GT 350. The lines seem to loop down a bit more then I was expecting.

I have seen other shots where guys have been able to get them more horizontal as Bob and Ed said.

Thanks for the advice. I will make the adjustments to the lines.

Stubee

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
My remark would be that all of the power steering cars have hoses that are noticeable.

I think that original assembly line hoses have alignment marks on them that are used to position the hoses where they will be as high as you can get them?

That is a detail that is often but not always lost in the replacement of the originals.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:39:51 AM »
Roger that. I will take a closer look.

Thank you for the insight.

Stubee

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »
My remark would be that all of the power steering cars have hoses that are noticeable.

I think that original assembly line hoses have alignment marks on them that are used to position the hoses where they will be as high as you can get them?

That is a detail that is often but not always lost in the replacement of the originals.
The assemblyine manuals mention and show the yellow alignment marks. Sometimes the replacement hoses have the marks and sometimes not. I will say that it is good to have a second person to help when tightening the upper and lower pressure hose at the junction. It takes three hands. One to twist the lower hose and hold it in the parallel to the ground position .  One to tighten the nut and one more to hold the upper pressure hose in the correct position
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »
Thank you Bob. I am going to give it a try.
I really appreciate these tips more then you could know.

Awesome help,

Stubee

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
Thank you everyone for the help on this.

I was able to achieve and good result with them more parallel with the ground.. The clamp was missing so I installed the one from Special Ed and it did the trick.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 02:23:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for the help on this.

I was able to achieve and good result with them more parallel with the ground.. The clamp was missing so I installed the one from Special Ed and it did the trick.

Good job.