Author Topic: Sharing your passion with the younger generation...  (Read 2944 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Sharing your passion with the younger generation...
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
Never underestimate the influence you can have on introducing the younger generation to classic cars.

Our next door neighbors have a son who is 12, and he reminds me a lot of myself at that age.  He seems to have a passion for anything with an engine.  He just got an electric powered mini bike for Christmas and loves driving it up and down our street with an ear to ear smile on his face. 

The other day, his Dad came by and asked if I would be open to having his son come by to see my cars sometime. Apparently, this young man has noticed many a day/night where I've been working on a car in the garage with the door open, and he wants to come by and see what I'm doing...sound familiar?  This is similar to many, many stories that I've heard of people finding initial interest back in the 60s / 70s.

I know I share in the concern that the passion for these amazing cars will die with current ownership.  However, I believe that the younger generation can become just as passionate about our cars as ourselves - we just need to expose them to it whenever possible.  I also believe that part of the reason people become interested in these cars is because they can see, touch, smell...even ride in them.  I know that my passion started the day I first saw a Shelby in person, as I'm sure was the case for many of us.

Please, let that exhaust sing!  And, please share your amazing cars with others!

Just my 2 cents  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing your passion with the younger generation...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »

I couldn't agree more Shelby_0022,  Whenever I have grandkids over I make it a point of taking them for short rides and never get tired of seeing their beaming faces. Generation X, or whatever they are called, seems for the most part disconnected from the automobile. I will be up to enthusiasts to regenerate interest through contacting kids/teenagers at Car Shows, Cars & Coffee, etc. Scarier still is those that restore or help maintain our cars is getting older, and I don't see many young people interested in auto restoration or mechanics.

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »
The young kids love these cars. Cobras, Cobra Jet Mustangs and Shelbys.
The video game industry has put these cars in the games so they have even “driven” them.

A 10 year old on a skateboard came to a halt at the garage door of the 1969 Mach 1 SCJ and said... nice Mustang!

I asked him how he new the car... he said I love driving it on the X Box.

The new kids get it and want to enjoy life again.

Great news for the hobby.

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
This rings so true to me.  I got such a kick out of seeing this little kid maybe 5 years old at a cars and coffee in southern California when I was there a few weekend ago.  This little dude first pointed out a Ferrari by name to his dad and then in extreme excitement said "and there is another Cobra".  It really put a smile on my face.

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »
I'm totally into sharing my passion - with anyone! It's a blast grabbing the next gear with the engine twisting up past 6 grand. Puts a smile on my 11-year old granddaughter AND my 81 year-old mother-in-law as well as my wife, kids, brothers, etc. sitting in the passenger seat.

Went to the local cruise-in last Saturday and got to talk to a lot of folks - old and young - about the car. There is passion out there.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 06:02:16 PM »
Truly, very young kids are the best!  I've been to several car shows where a youngster under the age of 10 is completely awe struck.  Nothing gives me more pleasure than to offer them the chance to sit in the driver's seat. 

What's really fun is watching their parent's face - the parents either look thrilled, or they look EXTREMELY nervous.  I usually assure the parents by saying "There's nothing in there they can break!"

Good times!  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 09:00:51 PM »
My 2 1/2 year old grandson can tell you the name of my Shelby, my Model A's, my wife's Mustang, and my son's Jeep. He has known them for a year or so. He will be a car guy for sure.   ;D

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 02:18:42 AM »
For me, one of the greatest joys of owning one of these special cars is giving rides to young people. And answering questions. Like when my 16-year-old niece asked me, “What’s that stick you keep messing with?” I told her that was the shifter – how I changed gears manually. After thinking about that for a few seconds she asked, “What are gears?”

Oh, my! As I contemplated where to start in explaining gears to her, it dawned on me she’d never have any real world use for that information. So I just told her that gears were something old guys liked to play with. Ha, ha!

Steve

Sixx7shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
I go to cruises with my boys and a lot of their friends enjoy seeing the older cars. My son even did his 8th grade video book report for school on Tasca Ford, filmed from the drivers seat and was the best in the class. I believe the younger generations still relate to the older rides due to video games and fast and furious/John Wick style movies that showcase old muscle as stated in other posts.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »
For me, one of the greatest joys of owning one of these special cars is giving rides to young people. And answering questions. Like when my 16-year-old niece asked me, “What’s that stick you keep messing with?” I told her that was the shifter – how I changed gears manually. After thinking about that for a few seconds she asked, “What are gears?”

Oh, my! As I contemplated where to start in explaining gears to her, it dawned on me she’d never have any real world use for that information. So I just told her that gears were something old guys liked to play with. Ha, ha!

Steve

Truly classic, Steve!   ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »

Steve

You missed an opportunity to inspire a future, mechanical engineer.
For some of us gears generate a comfortable livelihood.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:11:10 PM by vtgt500 »