News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fold-down seat trim. Pics, places, and prices

Started by rbarkley, September 06, 2019, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

Priced out a couple plating shops in Houston, Tx for the fold-down rear seat - 12 piece on my 1967. This did not include the piano hinge (if that is what it's called).

Airline Plating - $650.00
A-1 Chrome - $650.00
Atlas Plating - $850.00

I went with Airline Plating and picked up the pieces today. They did a good job, but can see some imperfections in a few of the pieces.

I used A-1 Chrome before as it is closer to my home. They have my vent window frames now and quoted $350.00 to do both. That is $175.00 a piece and seems like a good price. Will post a pic once I pick them up.

The vent window glass frame and glass in the pic are original. Went with Scott Drake repop on the small handle and have this to show for it!

CarLite date 6 M. December 66.  Most metal, glass, and mechanical components on the car are dated 6M or 7A

I am becoming pretty good using the buffer and Eastwood materials.

Ron

6s1640

Hi Ron,

Thanks for sharing.  On the fold down pieces, what kind of shape where the pieces in before re-chroming?  These pieces are so thin, I can't imagine there is much wiggle room to work with for prepping the pieces for chroming.  Did they plate a none chrome alloy (copper, nickel or ?) and smooth out the blemishes/pits before chrome plating?  Or were your pieces nice enough they did not have to perform multiple plating's and smoothing before final chrome?

Thanks

Cory

Coralsnake

Another solution is to buy the reproductions and only replate the original pieces that are not in the reproduction kit

rbarkley

Originally, I had planned to purchase repop trim.  However, after reading all the not so good reviews, I decided to re-chrome.  The original pieces had surface rust, but not a lot of deep pitting or bent/dented places.  I tried steel wool and the buffing wheel first, but with poor results.   I know that Airline Plating, triple plated each piece so pretty sure that they used an alloy before chrome plating.

What do you think about the vent window handle?  Just take a grinder to the back side?

Ron

Doug C

I am looking for a passenger side piece - Please PM me if you can help.  Thanks Doug

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 06, 2019, 06:23:02 PM
Another solution is to buy the reproductions and only replate the original pieces that are not in the reproduction kit

Are all reproductions equal?

Quote from: rbarkley on September 06, 2019, 07:25:04 PM
What do you think about the vent window handle?  Just take a grinder to the back side?

Ron

You mean grinding off the letters? Won't that rust quickly?

Coralsnake

I think there is only one company making the repop stuff

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 2112 on September 06, 2019, 10:27:54 PM
Quote from: Coralsnake on September 06, 2019, 06:23:02 PM

Are all reproductions equal?

I believe they are all equal... equally incorrect. I had the original pieces re-plated.

Picture of my original beside reproduction

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold