News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shocks?

Started by owenkelley, August 20, 2019, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 23, 2019, 09:32:36 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 23, 2019, 08:34:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the phase out of the FOMOCO marked shocks could have started in very late 66 GT350 production.

Just in an effort to share have not seen any dated early enough to have been installed on any late 66's and have found them on 67's into the 600's

Do you know what the dates are on the Autolite shocks on 001 are?
I don't have the info off hand but I will try and remember to check when I put 0001 in the air to look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

The thread will be here when you get to it :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mlplunkett

I'm curious about the issue with Koni shocks that required the axle cables on the 65 cars. Is that not an issue if Konis are used on a 67?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

J_Speegle

Quote from: mlplunkett on August 24, 2019, 12:16:06 AM
I'm curious about the issue with Koni shocks that required the axle cables on the 65 cars. Is that not an issue if Konis are used on a 67?

65's were designed for the Koni's while in 67 they were just installed by owners and local shops just like other car makes (Camaros, Corvettes...) so not allot of thought was put into any engineering.  Like allot of things they were just slapped on by many

Added - Senior moment I guess Bob and I, as well as others, have discussed the real purpose of the cables in years past.  ::)  as Bob noted below
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mlplunkett on August 24, 2019, 12:16:06 AM
This has been discussed before. I know I am a heretic for talking about this but there is no documentation then or now in the Konl literature that suggests the need for cables to limit the travel of the koni' shocks.  Logically if there was a potential problem the Koni factory would have put something in the pamplets to indicate that . Other makes and models racing back in the day or now using koni shocks didn't need them to limit shock travel ether. The shocks have built in piston stops.The cables were to keep the body from extending to far on one side compare to the other in a turn . The weight transfer of leaning excessively in a turn could cause loss of control and traction . The cables most logically were a inexpensive simple roll or lean control aid. The term limiting cables is correct it is just not to limit shock travel but body travel as in leaning or roll control.  The shock limiting cable usage is a long time misinterpreted urban legend . Axle limiting cable or body roll limiting cable are more accurate descriptions of what they were used for.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

owenkelley

So after removing the shocks from my car we discovered that the front shocks were the replacement Konis and the rear shocks were the original Gabriels. Thought that was kinda strange that they would bother replacing the fronts but not the backs. Any ideas other than the original owner trying to improve handling but save a few bucks? Possibly a problem with one of the front shocks so replacing both of those but not needing to replace all four?

67350#1242

Seems the first thing to go are the top bushings on the front shocks especially if car jacked up until weight rests on the bushing.  Other than that they seem to last a long long time without leaking.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

J_Speegle

Quote from: owenkelley on August 31, 2019, 06:55:08 AM
So after removing the shocks from my car we discovered that the front shocks were the replacement Konis and the rear shocks were the original Gabriels. .................

For us keeping records, data and doing studies of things related which version of the adjustables did you find and what's the car number

Thanks

As far as mismatched shocks. Likely just some past owner saving some money on what may have been, at the time, a somewhat inexpensive car. Markings on the Konis could lead you to when (with in a range) they might have been changed out

motorhead428

For the record #185 production date at SJ 12/01/1966 has what I believe are the original shocks (the fronts have sound deadener over spray on them). Black with Autolite stamped on all 4, adjustable on the front, with 2 settings. Rick

Bob Gaines

Quote from: motorhead428 on September 04, 2019, 09:41:47 PM
For the record #185 production date at SJ 12/01/1966 has what I believe are the original shocks (the fronts have sound deadener over spray on them). Black with Autolite stamped on all 4, adjustable on the front, with 2 settings. Rick
There are 3 settings. Soft, Normal, Firm.

motorhead428

I wire brushed a little more of the sound deadener off the front shocks and Mr. Gaines is correct 3 settings.