News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 flared Shelby

Started by deathsled, September 06, 2019, 09:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SCJSTU

Cool,
Got the car when he was 14....

Says Shelby made the flares on the car.....
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SCJSTU on September 06, 2019, 10:03:37 PM
Cool,

It must all be true. No one would ever make up a story to justify something out of the ordinary on a Shelby  ::)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=7249.0

Those look a lot like Maier Brothers flares I saw around in the late 70's. Way too big IMO.

I like steel flares like these;

deathsled

You're right 2112, understated is more aesthetically pleasing.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Quote from: deathsled on September 06, 2019, 11:59:48 PM
You're right 2112, understated is more aesthetically pleasing.

Wish they were made like that at the factory.   8)

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 06, 2019, 11:00:44 PM
Quote from: SCJSTU on September 06, 2019, 10:03:37 PM
Cool,

It must all be true. No one would ever make up a story to justify something out of the ordinary on a Shelby  ::)

The LA facility was already closed by the time any '68s were made. Where would the work have been done ? Where the 427's were installed? Maybe in the backyard where the chassis to CSX3232, in mint original condition, was found, right next to the oil well?

The story of Pinochio must have originated in LA? Must be something about the air in SC? Lots of hallucinogens floating around in that brown haze?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Doug, dont let facts get in the way of a good story...

Besides Carroll said he remembered.

Of course, he also remembered having a bunch of "left over" Cobra chassis, once the prices peaked.

shelbydoug

In my view, the concern isn't necessarily with the "storyteller". Many times they were a already a know entity and known to be a incoherent self involved paranoiac narcissist. Irrelevant bs and uncontrollable brain dribble was expected from them.

The issue is with the believers who become followers and believe anything they say. It borders on mass hallucination and that really is the concern.

I'm told and don't know as a fact, that one can overdose on cannabis and the result is a super paranoia? Like looking in the rear view mirror all of the time for that secret Police Patrol car that is always following YOU!

There are those that call themselves scientists and claim that the brown LA haze is because of the car exhausts backing up against the mountains. I can't deny that since I have no data. I can only ask have they eliminated the exhaust fumes from the pot cafes in LA? I think that there is significant circumstantial evidence to suggest a different source?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

Looks like something that might have been modified to look like a Group B version of a 68 Shelby. Interesting that it incorporates a stock Mustang instrument cluster. Also interesting that the owner owns an auto body shop and his Shelby has extensive body modifications, done not by him, but by Shelby years after they ceased manufacturing cars. Just a coincidence? Like randomly picking out the original numbers-matching engine block from a pile of blocks under a tree? Man, this guy has some terrific luck!

It's unfortunate that these over-the-top claims kind of tarnish what otherwise looks like a very cool* and very fun to drive 68.

*The crazy big flares are not my thing, but I can appreciate the look the owner was going for.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

427heaven

My post suggested that his car appears to be closer to 300 hp by the looks of the acceleration, and gets erased. :-[

Quote from: 427heaven on September 07, 2019, 11:49:59 AM
My post suggested that his car appears to be closer to 300 hp by the looks of the acceleration, and gets erased. :-[

It's in the other thread. Maybe a moderator can merge the threads.

shelbydoug

Quote from: kjspeed on September 07, 2019, 11:31:56 AM
Looks like something that might have been modified to look like a Group B version of a 68 Shelby. Interesting that it incorporates a stock Mustang instrument cluster. Also interesting that the owner owns an auto body shop and his Shelby has extensive body modifications, done not by him, but by Shelby years after they ceased manufacturing cars. Just a coincidence? Like randomly picking out the original numbers-matching engine block from a pile of blocks under a tree? Man, this guy has some terrific luck!

It's unfortunate that these over-the-top claims kind of tarnish what otherwise looks like a very cool* and very fun to drive 68.

*The crazy big flares are not my thing, but I can appreciate the look the owner was going for.

Well I've been told that Bill Maier got some of his original molds from other people. Now we know he got the mold for the flairs from Shelby.

Marshall Tucker put it anpther way, "heard it in a love song, must be true".  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

Quote from: 2112 on September 07, 2019, 11:51:59 AM
Quote from: 427heaven on September 07, 2019, 11:49:59 AM

It's in the other thread. Maybe a moderator can merge the threads.
Its all good. I think someone got offended that I pointed out a grocery getter Cadillac with a poodle hanging out the window put the spank down to it! We all see things differently... :(

kjspeed

Doug, it's "heard it in a love song, can't be wrong." Also from the Tucker boys: "Can't you see, oh can't you see, what that Shelby, Lord, he been doing for me?"

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 07, 2019, 11:56:27 AM
Quote from: kjspeed on September 07, 2019, 11:31:56 AM

Well I've been told that Bill Maier got some of his original molds from other people. Now we know he got the mold for the flairs from Shelby.

Marshall Tucker put it anpther way, "heard it in a love song, must be true".  :o
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt