Author Topic: Tail light lens restoration recommendations  (Read 3326 times)

jswoody

• View Profile
Tail light lens restoration recommendations
« on: September 07, 2019, 05:04:34 PM »
I am looking for recommendations on the restoration of the 1967 plastic tail light lenses.  My originals are in pretty good shape, but do not want to ruin them with the wrong process.  Any help is appreciated.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Tail light lens restoration recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 05:35:34 PM »
I am looking for recommendations on the restoration of the 1967 plastic tail light lenses.  My originals are in pretty good shape, but do not want to ruin them with the wrong process.  Any help is appreciated.
Buy the nice epro would be my recommendation. If the original looks distressed in the very least after reconditioning it will look worse then the current repro . Time ,money and effort has to be carefully considered when Trying to restore  originals. Once installed it is very hard to tell the difference.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 07:31:44 PM »
Buy the nice epro would be my recommendation. If the original looks distressed in the very least after reconditioning it will look worse then the current repro . Time ,money and effort has to be carefully considered when Trying to restore  originals. Once installed it is very hard to tell the difference.
.   Who makes the nice retro’s?

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »

For light scratches and discoloration a quality plastic polish can work wonders.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »
best product I have found is Blue Magic polish, which is really a rouge (extremely fine); metal or plastic.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
.   Who makes the nice retro’s?
I don't know who makes them however NPD sells them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BajaBroncos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »
I've taken original lenses to a detail shop and had them buff them out.  As long as they aren't cracked or faded, thats what I'd recommend. 

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 08:21:48 AM »
Reproductions are made in the original Ford Tooling
Also Made in the USA

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-SHELBY-TAIL-LIGHT-LENS-P2398.aspx

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
Are the repops correct color red? The 68-70 version is way off

BajaBroncos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
Repops look nice in the picture on the web site.  and says they are the correct color.... not bad, I just prefer original parts when possible.  To each their own.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 09:23:02 PM »
Repops look nice in the picture on the web site.  and says they are the correct color.... not bad, I just prefer original parts when possible.  To each their own.
Hey if you can find the originals that look new or can be polished to look new then great . I would always rather use a original part all other things being equal. I just wanted to point out that unless you can get the original to look perfect then the repro is typically a more viable alternative in this case not to mention the time ,effort and money to bring the original back to as new. Sometimes you can't tell if the effort of restoring the old lens will pay off until after you have put all of the time ,effort ,and money into the project only to end up with a less then new look. If you succeed the best you can hope is to match the as new look of the repro in this case. FYI the repro is made better in that the plastic of the flat lens portion is thicker which helps keep them from cracking like is common on the originals. You can tell the difference in thickness if you exam them closely while holding them however once installed you can't tell and you have the advantage of typically longer life.  All other things being equal I believe most people would rather see a new looking lens on a restored car compared to a less then new lens on the same restored car.   

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 12:28:01 AM »
Hey if you can find the originals that look new or can be polished to look new then great . I would always rather use a original part all other things being equal. I just wanted to point out that unless you can get the original to look perfect then the repro is typically a more viable alternative in this case not to mention the time ,effort and money to bring the original back to as new. Sometimes you can't tell if the effort of restoring the old lens will pay off until after you have put all of the time ,effort ,and money into the project only to end up with a less then new look. If you succeed the best you can hope is to match the as new look of the repro in this case. FYI the repro is made better in that the plastic of the flat lens portion is thicker which helps keep them from cracking like is common on the originals. You can tell the difference in thickness if you exam them closely while holding them however once installed you can't tell and you have the advantage of typically longer life.  All other things being equal I believe most people would rather see a new looking lens on a restored car compared to a less then new lens on the same restored car.

I appreciate knowing that some of the reproduction parts are decent alternatives.

jswoody

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 06:42:41 AM »
Thank you for all the information.  Very helpful.