News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original Door Panels - Would you use these?

Started by rbarkley, September 06, 2019, 07:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

These are the original door panels with Burtons Brushed Aluminum Door Panel Inserts.  While not bad for a 50 year old Ford product there are a few cracks etc in the panels.

I tried to restore the original inserts and they came out looking like a wavy, platinum something or the other!

I am not posting this in the Concourse section so you know that I am not going that route,  but I still try to keep as many original parts as possible.  Well, maybe not the 427 Side Oiler!

Should I just purchase new repop panels?   It would be so glaringly obvious if I don't!

Ron

onelimegold

Personnally , if both of your panels look that nice .. i would reuse them with no hesition . and more importandly ..  they will fit  !!! 

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

greekz

Use them.  My panels were way worse than yours, so I had no choice.  You will like the fitment better with your original panel. 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

J_Speegle

Plus an easy to upgrade/replace later if you change your mind. Use them and focus on the next details IMHO :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

rbarkley

You guys are right.  They are original, look descent enough, and time to move on to the next project.  Buffing front/rear window molding!
Thank you!
Ron

roddster

Hasn't been said 'till now:  Nobody likes the grain on the repop panels, and, as far as I know, nobody has bothered to correct it.  Am I wrong in this?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on September 07, 2019, 05:15:42 PM
  Hasn't been said 'till now:  Nobody likes the grain on the repop panels, and, as far as I know, nobody has bothered to correct it.  Am I wrong in this?
You are not wrong in this case . Don't get a big head. ;D - just teasing. As Rod has pointed out difference between the repro and original is quite visible once you have a point of reference .No updates to the repro grain that I am aware of.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67BoB

I may feel guilty offering to buy you new repops and take those off your hands

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Those are great ,use em! (However they do lack the electrical tape repair"patina"of my originals...LOL ::))