News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

R model gas tank

Started by mlplunkett, September 08, 2019, 03:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlplunkett

This is for a tribute car so it doesn't have to be original equipment. If anyone knows where I can purchase tank components (bottom half of standard 65 tank) I'm looking at making my own tank as an alternative to purchasing a complete repro tank.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mlplunkett on September 08, 2019, 03:39:02 PM
This is for a tribute car so it doesn't have to be original equipment. If anyone knows where I can purchase tank components (bottom half of standard 65 tank) I'm looking at making my own tank as an alternative to purchasing a complete repro tank.
You take two tanks and use the the bottom out of each. The R tank was typically painted black so they don't need to be new if making a copy.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cushmancomp

I Have a new R model filler shield as well as a gas cap and what was said to be an original used filler shield but that doesn't have that old enough look to it to me to be from the 60s so who knows. Text me for more pics if your interested.

Jay Cushman  207 749 3307

mlplunkett

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of the early tanks that is in the USA? I'm trying to get the components but I fear that they are all made in China.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Coralsnake

There are some made in Canada 🇨🇦

SFM5S000

Mickey,

The original gas cap was made by Enots of England. Off the top of my head the 3 1/2" opening base. 6 attaching screws for the base that the gas cap screws on to.

~E

acman63

I have a top tank that has the flange welded on the opposite side.    kind of like a TA car was
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

98SVT - was 06GT

One of the old Marque magazines has an article on building one. The 2 original ones I've had were not painted black. They were the plain zinc finish.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 22, 2019, 02:27:22 PM
One of the old Marque magazines has an article on building one. The 2 original ones I've had were not painted black. They were the plain zinc finish.
I have a feeling the painted black was to cover /protect the welding of the two half's from flash rust. The ones typically seen in historical photos were black that doesn't mean they all were painted but painted was more likely typical then not IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby