Author Topic: Tail Lamp Screws  (Read 2019 times)

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
Tail Lamp Screws
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »
So a prior owner drilled out the stripped inserts for the stock screws in my tail light panel on my 69 Shelby.  They also used longer machine screws and a nut on the back side.  I don't feel like removing the tail light panel to fix this the right way.  Does anyone know if a screw exists that looks correct on the visible side, but will accept a nut on the back side where nobody can see it?  If so, could you tell me the size specs on this screw and nut so I can buy some?  Thanks.

Shelbypat

• View Profile
Re: Tail Lamp Screws
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »
Just curious, why dont you install new rivnut ?

Patrick
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:08:24 PM by Shelbypat »

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 08:30:57 PM »
Is that possible without removing tail light panel? I didn't think they were serviceable.  Are they?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:51:05 PM »
Is that possible without removing tail light panel? I didn't think they were serviceable.  Are they?
Yes ,you can find threaded brass inserts in the yellow servalite boxes that many hardware stores keep on hand.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jimbc123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:04:36 AM »
If your hardware store does not have the inserts, they are readily available online. I used a kit from Time-Sert for 8-32. The kit is available on Amazon but it is a little pricey at about $75. The kit includes the appropriate drill, tap, installation tool and the inserts. Simple instructions and easy to do.

Jim

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:52 AM »

You can repair these with the panel on the car.

Here is an excerpt from an article I did on restoring 68-69 taillight panels 10 years ago.  Forgive me for some poor wording at the time  ::)

These inserts would IMHO be better than some of the other choices out there since the panel is made of fairly (in comparison) soft material more like wood than metal and the large deep exterior threads see to work great

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:56:44 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the detailed responses.  I will check into the brass inserts.  They look like a better option.