Author Topic: The Movie  (Read 6345 times)

rkm

• View Profile
The Movie
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:13:32 AM »
Lisa and I just saw it at the Toronto International Film Festival. It was FANTASTIC.

Now they need to do the sequel, "The Cobra Story".

It will win Oscars. Check it out.

sfm5s081

• View Profile
Re: The Movie
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 01:00:03 AM »
I'm planning on seeing it 2x! The first time with the Shelby crew and the second time with the Ferrari club. Can't wait until it hits on Nov 15

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 10:59:14 AM »
^^^^^^
How did you pull that off???
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 12:47:06 PM »
The UK Guardian review of the movie pans it as "handsomely produced but tiringly acted and inert sports drama about two good ol’ boys from the self-admiring world of motor racing", and "it is crammed with unearned emotional moments and factory-built male characters whose dedication to their sport we are expected to find adorable and heroic by turns. This is a standard-issue, middleweight biopic-type film.....this blandly sentimental movie, which can’t reach out beyond the petrolhead fanbase".

Perhaps the Brit's don't like us "petrolheads",  ..... as I recall we whup'd them twice ! 1776 & 1812....  8)

regards,

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:03:54 PM »
The Guardian is about as far left on the spectrum as you can get. Any movie these days that makes men out to be capable and competent in what they do is going to be reviled by the leftist media. I take it there were no messages in the movie about female empowerment and how it was a woman that actually built the Ford GT 40. And no doubt a trans gendered Ken Miles won the race. Or a female Bruce McLaren. Or whatever... I'm not a comic book fan but apparently Thor is being replaced by a 120 pound girl as the "God of Thunder." There are few movies for men these days. Ford versus Ferrari is one of those few. I would disregard anything the Guardian has to say. What do any of them at the Guardian know about a combustion engine anyway.  Cars are merely frosted lucky charms that get them from A to B and nothing more.
They can go like hell...to hell!

Best,
Richard E.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:00:11 PM by deathsled »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 05:46:48 PM »
Sounds like that Guardian review was written by a woman.  Or an ignorant male who never rode in a fast car in his life.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 06:12:00 PM »
just shared this article with these two guys, their only comment was LMAO...

The UK Guardian review of the movie pans it as "handsomely produced but tiringly acted and inert sports drama about two good ol’ boys from the self-admiring world of motor racing", and "it is crammed with unearned emotional moments and factory-built male characters whose dedication to their sport we are expected to find adorable and heroic by turns. This is a standard-issue, middleweight biopic-type film.....this blandly sentimental movie, which can’t reach out beyond the petrolhead fanbase".

Perhaps the Brit's don't like us "petrolheads",  ..... as I recall we whup'd them twice ! 1776 & 1812....  8)

regards,

jim p
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 06:56:55 PM »
The Guardian doesn't like anything having to to with celebrating your carbon footprint.

Bite me.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 07:09:52 PM »
Here's the critic. Peter Bradshaw. Public enemy number one in my books.
 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bradshaw

He was born in 1962. Isn't that when the Cobra first came out? He should know better. He probably played the flute in high school.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 07:27:19 PM »
Here's the critic. Peter Bradshaw. Public enemy number one in my books.
 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bradshaw

He was born in 1962. Isn't that when the Cobra first came out? He should know better. He probably played the flute in high school.

possibly accosted at band camp
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 08:29:11 PM »
I've been called a lot of things but this is the first time, "a petrol head". It's amazing how some are so permanently set in their predigest ways and cast me into a stereo type after they bitched about the same thing?

I suspect that this movie is going to be an overwhelming success despite the dance in protest of the silver dust fairies outside of the theater? I wonder if they will remember to clap for Tinkerbell?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:32:36 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »
Peter Bradshaw, movie critic for The Guardian.  He gets to review the movie Ford versus Ferrari.  Now I get to review him.  (I had a long diatribe about him here that I was going to publish but deleted it when I got to thinking the legal implications of any alleged slander/ libel if it ever came to light).  Truth is always a defense but hey, why get to that point where you're pleading your affirmative defenses in court.  So I'm going to let it go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:43:47 PM by deathsled »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »
Peter Bradshaw, movie critic for The Guardian.  He gets to review the movie Ford versus Ferrari.  Now I get to review him.  (I had a long diatribe about him here that I was going to publish but deleted it when I got to thinking the legal implications of any alleged slander/ libel if it ever came to light).  Truth is always a defense but hey, why get to that point where you're pleading your affirmative defenses in court.  So I'm going to let it go.

I think the film will have enough positive feedback to stand on it's own. It's intended to entertain you. It isn't intended to be Gospel to anyone.

Good film is art. I suppose bad film is art to, just bad art.

The ironic thing about art is that today you can think it's the worst bit of tripe ever conceived and tomorrow in a different light you can discover it and think it is genius? It's happen to me more then once.

Someone who misses the boat is at a loss to themselves. No one else. Critics should be more understanding and it would help if they were a little more tactful as well. It's the Guardians loss, not mine.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:27:28 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 12:36:42 PM »
^^^^^^
Well said.

johno

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
My dear dear gentlemen, from an englishman..... A) we don't read the guardian  B) we don't listen to film critics!  we know this film will be brilliant!!!  the critics just "won't get it", you see when they reviewed the Hunt/Lauda film they knew the story beforehand- but know sod all about this one!! The trailer looks awesome , it'll be great.      john    in edgware